have some ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Sep 28, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

1 how many of you still wear make up everyday?

2,how many of you cant wear a bra anymore because it hits tender spots?

3how many of you can still get in the shower everyday?

4 when was the last time you shaved your legs

5 when was the last time you painted your nails?

im just trying to make sure im not just being a lazy slopp and it hard for others to do these things to

1 i hardly ever wear make up
    2a bra just hurts to much plus im allergic to the spandex
    3i cant get in the shower everyday because i have to someone here in case i fall and sometimes i just dont want to
    4 i dont remember when the last time was
    5 its been about 4 monthes sense i painted my toe nails and i havent even botherd to remove it either
    god this sounds bad huh
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

1 how many of you still wear make up everyday?

2,how many of you cant wear a bra anymore because it hits tender spots?

3how many of you can still get in the shower everyday?

4 when was the last time you shaved your legs

5 when was the last time you painted your nails?

im just trying to make sure im not just being a lazy slopp and it hard for others to do these things to

1 i hardly ever wear make up
    2a bra just hurts to much plus im allergic to the spandex
    3i cant get in the shower everyday because i have to someone here in case i fall and sometimes i just dont want to
    4 i dont remember when the last time was
    5 its been about 4 monthes sense i painted my toe nails and i havent even botherd to remove it either
    god this sounds bad huh
  3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I only wear makeup on special occasions.
    I can still wear a bra. And wear it out in public, so not to embarrass myself. I take it off when home. It itches.
    I take a shower every day, sometimes more than that. Warm water takes the the edge off the pain and aches.
    I shave my legs twice a week. Thinking about getting a wax kit,so I dont have to shave for awhile. I shave alot because I love to swim.
    I work in a office, I paint my nails every couple days.

I dont know what to say, I am more thankful that I can do some things you mentioned.

There has been periods of time though, that I was too depressed to do much of anything.

4. pepper

pepper New Member

I just read your profile and saw that you have 5 kids! I don't know how you get up in the morning with all you have to cope with much less get all dolled up!

1. I wear a little makeup when I am going to see the doctor or going shopping where I may see someone I know. Around the house I will put some on IF I am having a good day. Otherwise, it is a waste of my limited energy.

2. I'm a DD so a bra is a necessity. I take it off when I can because it hurts.

3. I take a bath almost every day because it requires less energy than a shower. On bad days even a bath is impossible. Have you considered putting in a tub bar or seat?

4. I shave my legs every couple of months. Luckily my leg hair is blonde and barely noticeable. In my healthy days I would shave them anyways - not any more!

5. I used to give myself a manicure and pedicure every Sunday evening to prepare for the week. I haven't painted my nails in 10 years. I had them done in a salon for my son's wedding.

Such is life with CFS! Pepper
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Shaving once a week. Shower only when needed. Summer once a week maybe 2 Winter it drys out the skin so every 7-10 days but, diaper wipes and the sink do a great job.I go to warm water hydrotheropy so I shave the day before I go on Tues. and I go on Thursday butm Hay, whats a little stubble. Make up, Just on special occasions now, and just a 10 min job if I can handle that much spasumming and hands that won't draw a line and let the masscara brush poke me in the eye. Thank God for the Bra burning. I always hated to wear them and went w/o as much as possible.

Gary is worse then I on the shaving and showering. Again diaper wipes to the rescue. They even clean walls and spills on carpets. The best cleaning aid around.

He never did the other stuff but, he wouldn't even try contacts.

Take care, Kim and Gary.
  6. PMangels

PMangels New Member

1. I wear makeup when I go to work. If I'm home and I know I am not leaving the house I will go without.
    2. I wear a bra to work but I have been known to go without if I'm not leaving the house. It feels good not to have one on.
    3. I am able to get in the shower everyday but like to soak in the tub occasionally.
    4. I will shave my legs twice a week in the summer and once a week during the winter.
    5. I have my nails done every two weeks.

I'm glad I can get out of the tub and shower so far. If it should become hard for me we will have to think about getting some help aids such as bars or shower chairs etc.

Arlene
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

Last winter when I was really ill and could barely sit up I didn't wear makeup or do anything to my hair except dry it. Since I started feeling a bit better I have gone back to a more normal routine.

I wear makeup almost every day. It's not always a lot, sometimes just foundation, blush and lipstick. Lately I've been doing my eyes, too.

I have no problem wearing a bra, so I wear one all the time, except at night.

I shower daily, but am about to get a shower chair to conserve energy. Standing wipes me out.

I shave my legs once or twice a week, either in the tub while taking a bath or sitting on the edge of the tub. Can't stand that long in the shower.

I have been able to go back to getting my nails done every week or so. For about six months I quit going, but it's something I enjoy doing. I get a pedicure every 4-6 weeks.

I think we each do what we feel we are able to do and what is important to us. For a while none of this except showering was that important. Now that I feel a bit better and I am able to do it I enjoy looking good and receiving compliments, so I spend the time.

Barbara

8. Seagull

Seagull New Member

1. I never wear makeup -- I don't care where I am going. It makes my skin itchy, no matter what brand it is and I really am too tired to bother with it anyway.
    2. I wear a bra only when I am leaving the house. And, then, only a soft cotton knit type. I never wear one at home.
    3. I usually shower every other day. In between, I use the body wipes or take a sponge bath.
    4. I shave my legs two or three times a week. I mostly wear slacks or jeans, so I don't need to do it more often than that, which is good because I wouldn't have the energy to do so anyway.
    5. I don't ever have my nails done. It is too painful for me to sit that long.

One more thing that you did not mention, all of my clothes fit loosely and can be pulled on or off easily without using the buttons or zippers. This is less painful and tiring for me.

I don't feel that I am a slob because of the above limitations. I feel like I am working with my body, rather than against it.

Gentle hugs,
    seagull
  9. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Dear Allhart,
    Oh my gosh....I thought I was the only one not getting myself together....I would look at myself in the mirror and say, "Linda, you had better pray NO ONE comes by to see you today"! Up until 3 weeks ago I got up at 5:15-5:30 am Monday thru Friday. Sat./Sun. I got up around 8:00. Hit some yard sales...cleaned the house, etc..Sunday go to church, have lunch with friends. You get the picture.....
    Friday, 3 weeks ago I had a HORRIBLE headache/neck pain at work. Came home, rested..............Started calling and seeing my doctor, having all the tests, taking pills!!

Have NOT been back to work except for 2 hrs. this past Monday and 4 1/2 hrs. Friday.....cried all the way home Friday because of pain and exhaustion. Gave notice at work and will begin training another person for my job on Monday..(I hired a friend to take over my job). Now, I just pray I can go in a couple of hours a day and train her. Fortunately, she can come to my house for some of the training.
    Anyway,,,,,,

Bath.....every other day.....hair wash.....every two to three days.....legs shaved...once a week.....make-up.......when I am going to the doctor or the office. And of course the office will be past tense very shortly. I look awful,,,,,but I feel like H*##!! By the way, this is not my first go-around with this DD. However, this is the worse I have ever been! I've been doing great for the past 2 years......So much for the old me......Or maybe it IS the "old" me that IS back.
    You are not alone....we are WHO we are on the "inside"....not what we "look like" on the "outside".
    If you don't feel like getting it together for a few days then DON'T.....Just don't let youself BECOME this DD!! You will have some better days and moments and be sure to embrace those times !! Baths are important though..so don't go too long in between! :)I also cry when I need to and sometimes when I don't...I still laugh and enjoy the moments I feel good. I can't really embrace the painful times.....I'm not THAT together!!!!!!! I'm great at having a "pity party" and just really getting into it...The good news is that they don't last long and I'm aware of what's going on. I'll even invite a few of my friends.:)
    You just take care of "who" you are and keep sharing!
    Hugs,
    Linda Sue
  10. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

1. I do try to waer make-up on a daily basis even if it just a little powder and lipstick. I feel better about myself if I have a little color on. Also, too, it stops alot of unwanted questions like "Are you sick?" "why are you so pale?". I use it as a cover up and to hide behind it.
    2. Bra daily if I am out of the house or someone is coming over. I am a little too busty to unleash the beasts:) But it comes off when I hit the door or no one is around. I do have tender ribs especially from the car wreck years ago. I buy the largest ones I can find and wear them with bra extenders and such. I actually need a 38 but buy a 42 with extenders so that it won't suffocate me and hit the bad spots.
    3. Showers are daily sometimes twice daily. I groom dogs so I am covered with nasty dog smells and dog hair. So shower asap when I get home. But I totally know what it feels like to be soooo depressed and down that you cannot must the energy to take a shower. When I was at a very low point in my life, I would not want to shower for days or even get out of bed for days. I have been there. It is not a fun place...
    4. Shaving legs-once a week. The back sometimes won't hold out to do the whole leg so I may just have to do from the knees down and wear long shorts.
    5. Painting toenails-I do try to keep polish on them. I sometimes have my husband paint them or I will do them when I feel like it. I usually paint layer over layer without removing the old and quickly before I get tired.

11. marinemom

marinemom New Member

1. I wear makeup ONLY when going to the Doctor, Dentist, or somewhere with hubby (not too often there). Usually, I just do without, but I do tend to scare little children!

2. Wear a bra ONLY when leaving the house by automobile.

3. Have to shower everyday, since I feel "icky" if I don't. My hair is to the point where I'm sitting on it, so I don't wash it but every other day, since it takes so long to dry.

4. If I'm gonna wear shorts, I'll shave my legs. Other than that, hey, it's nature's velcro. It keeps my socks up! =)

And last but not least,

5. I try to go and get my nails done at least once a month. That's my ONE big splurg for me. Having a pedicure relaxes me. I suffer with ingrown toenails, so I'm also doing some good too. Besides, if God wanted ME to care for my feet, he would have put my legs under my arms where I could reach my toes with ease!!! At least, that's what I tell my husband while holding out my hand for the money! =)

Hugs to you
    Kathy
  12. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks all for your responses im felling better now before this dd got realy bad i ALWAYS had my hair and make up done before i would even answer the door and tried to keep up with fasion now the only fasion i can tell anyone about is what color sweats walmart has!!
  13. kadywill

kadywill New Member

1. I wear makeup each day to work...never at home...eye pencil ONLY if I go out casually.

2. I wear a bra ALL the time. Bali makes an underwire with gel straps that is heaven for me. I'm "well-endowed" and a bra is necessary even when I sleep, but then I wear a "leisure bra".

3. I gave up showers when I realized how wonderful a long, hot, lavendar, epsom salts bath felt!!!

4. I shave my legs daily because I go to the rehab pool for aquatherapy every other day and I don't wanna subject others to my "natural beauty!"

5. When our hospital made a rule that we couldn't wear our acrylic nails or use nailpolish, I gave up on beautiful nails! Besides, it KILLED my hands to have my nails done and I CANNOT make them look nearly as good as the pros can!

See, you're not alone~~~~

Love,
    Kady

p.s. I even cut my LONG hair recently because it really hurts my wrists to dry it and use a round brush on it any longer.
  14. inpain3

inpain3 New Member

1. not me....
    2. only with hubby if we go out somehwere.then it come right off in the car on the way home
    3. is that standing or sitting?
    4. ummmm shaved?? i think about 4 months ago..good thing i have fine white hair...
    5. i use clear nail polish on my fingers whenever, to help thicken brittle nails. toes, i wont even go there...literally...i cant go there.
    God bless
    inpain3
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2002]
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Remember the old Epilady which painfully ripped the hairs out by the roots. Well I've been epilating ever since. The new Emjoi epilator is much, much easier and less painful to use. It's like a little electric razor, but it has tons of tiny tweezers which pluck the hairs. The longer you use one, the less painful it is. It is no longer painful at all and I use it for my bikini line and underarms as well as my legs.

If it is used weekly, only about 1/3 of the hair has had a chance to grow back because hair grows in at different rates. That 2/3 less hair to remove than the first time. The first time one uses an epilator, it is wise to start on an area of the leg which is less tender (don't start on the inside of the leg). Do only a very small circle and slowly branch out from there. It may take a couple of treatments to get at all the areas.

The hair grows back in so much softer that you can go for a long time before it shows. I would never go back to shaving.

Love, Mikie