Have to have a root canal. Anyone got suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by leann_sweeney, Oct 4, 2002.

1. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

I have had such HORRIBLE reactions fibro-wise to root canals in the past that I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prepare to limit the damage? Plus I had a freak accident in the dentist's office a couple years ago--the mirror broke off and I swallowed it. It lodged very close to where my trachea and esophagus branch, so I had to be intubated and have general anesthesia to have it removed. Needless to say, I PANIC when I go to the dentist now. That's how I ended up needing this root canal. Couldn't make myself go when this tooth started acting up. This is way more info than you people wanted to know, but maybe if I talk through all this, it will help me. I'M SCARED!!
  2. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

I have had such HORRIBLE reactions fibro-wise to root canals in the past that I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prepare to limit the damage? Plus I had a freak accident in the dentist's office a couple years ago--the mirror broke off and I swallowed it. It lodged very close to where my trachea and esophagus branch, so I had to be intubated and have general anesthesia to have it removed. Needless to say, I PANIC when I go to the dentist now. That's how I ended up needing this root canal. Couldn't make myself go when this tooth started acting up. This is way more info than you people wanted to know, but maybe if I talk through all this, it will help me. I'M SCARED!!
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I am in the middle of having a root canal. I had decided to NEVER have another one because my doctor of preventive medicine believes that they are toxic - exp. to those of us with compromised immune systems.

Being dental-phobic and prone to panic attacks don't help either!

First you must find a kind and gentle dentist who understands your fear. I ask him to tell me everything he does before doing it so there are no surprises. If I am going to feel anything (even if it doesn't hurt) I want to know so I don't panic. He does this willingly and most of the time I don't need any Valium before I go anymore.

Music - if you can get a walkman, play gentle music - I play Mozart because it can change your brain waves - I can leave the room while he works on my teeth and go with the music wherever it takes me. That is a real help.

For the root canal itself, there are two types of dentists you should research. If you can find one that does the Bio-Calex method, it is totally non-toxic and highly recommended. It has been used in Europe for 15 yrs and there are great sites on the web.

I found a dentist who does the Bio-Calex but elected not to go to him because it had to go through a crown so I found the best endodontist in the city. Even my doctor feels that the exposure to toxins will be minimal because he is so skilled.

I had an abscess so he drilled a hole in the crown - no freezing and no pain!. It is now draining. I go back next week to get it finished. I feel fine.

Good luck with this. Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2002]
  4. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

Sometimes I swear the Sargenti paste put in my teeth about 28 years ago helped get this fibro started. Your suggestions are very wise and informed and it's good to know someone else is going through this. Right now the tooth is throbbing and is not responding to any pain med. It will be a long night. Sigh. I will try my microwave hot pack (intolerant to cold).
  5. countrylover

countrylover New Member

I also am in need of a second root canal and am prone to not only have anxiety, but feel like I'm going to pass out. Also, my body jerks involuntarily when I'm in pain, when muscles are too tight or when I'm stressed out...I didn't know that we are exposed to toxins through this process. I also need work done through a crown, so I guess I'm comisserating with you more than being helpful, sorry! My suggestion would be to have the endodontist explain everything first and to tell you when the nerve is out of the tooth. Once the nerve is out,you wont be able to feel any pain in the tooth. At least that has been my experience. As far as not having a flare up...boy, that's a tricky one since we all react differently to things. Maybe ask if you can have your tooth done on two seperate appointments so you don't have to be in the chair for so long. Not focusing on what is going on will help to avoid the anxiety....easier said than done, I know!!
  6. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

commiserating is what I need. I wish someone could hold my hand for the next week! I do pretty well coping with the fibro, never call in sick to work, try to manage my energy, take all the supplements, but just the word DENTIST makes my heart race.
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Also the fact that some very informed people I have talked with who have done all the research say that we all end up with low level chronic infection in the bone that never goes away, I would be searching for the suggested method stated earlier, also I use nitrous even for teeth cleaning, help me tremendously with the anxiety. That and my headphones with my music, I just go off in dream land & let them do their thing.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Jaci
  8. herblady

herblady New Member

i had root canals in almost all my teeth. i suffered so much with that. it wasn't until i was having all my teeth pulled that i found what helps get through it. make sure your dentist uses nitrous oxide. the stuff is wonderful. even if it hurt you wouldn't care. i didn't want him to stop pulling teeth, i wanted it to go on forever! lolol. cindi
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Endodontists specialize in root canals and are much faster and work with less pain to their patients. Ask your dentist for a referral to a good one.

Love, Mikie
  10. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

All my teeth are root canaled and crowned. I'm not proud of it, but for some reason the nerves in all my teeth got bad. There was no decay, just terrible sensitivity to hot and cold. It got to a point, that even the tap water when brushing my teeth gave me a jolt. I don't believe that the root canals have made me worse. But, who knows, I'm not the healthiest person in the world to begin with. I have no fear of the dentist, which is rare, considering I do have a panic disorder. My dentist is kind and gentle and also knows about TMJ and pain disorders. This helps! Also I use only carbocaine as an anesthetic. Don't need novacaine giving me palpitations. I have MPS and I swear even having the roots out doesn't elimate facial and tooth aching--not real bad pain just sometimes it feels like all my teeth ache. Even crowns don't feel like my real teeth. I guess they just don't fit the same way. Good luck to you--I think you will be just fine.
    Tania
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I found out about carbocaine a couple of years ago, now that's all I use! Novocaine also made me so jittery, it totally upped my anxiety level, plus it felt like the effects of it lasted forever. Carbocaine is great, it's enough to kill pain, but doesn't add to the anxiety level. Good luck to you, hope it all goes well....
  12. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

I am going to an endo and I also use nitrous. Amazing how many have the same problem with needing the root canals. This is my 5th or 6th, but I haven't had one in about 10 years and now the fibro has progressed, so I fear this will be a very difficult experience. And of course few people understand about the DD. It's taken my husband years, so what can I expect from strangers? I never thought of using the nitrous for the teeth cleaning. Good idea as the TMJ really kicks in when they're scraping around in there. Nitrous sorks the same for me. Doesn't stop the pain, but I couldn't give a damn. (Can you say damn here?)
  13. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Been putting off the appointment, I need 3 more root canals and crowns done. A couple are repeats.(crowns) I don't have too many teeth left that don't have crowns. I have always done the traditional novacane thing. Didn't know there were better things. I must say though, my dentist is the first one I have had in my life that is gentle and doesn't hurt. It may hurt after I leave, but not while the work is being done. This will be the first time sense being diagnosied with FMS, don't know what it will do to me. Can't imagine being in anymore pain than I am already in.

Good Luck Gals, wish I had some words of wisdom.

Cindy
  14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Read The Root Canal Cover Up by Georger E. Meinig, D.D.S. before you consider this. People with less than adequate immune systems should probably not get root canal. Have a bridge instead. You'll be a lot better off in the long run. Also, when the tooth is pulled for the bridge, make them take another layer of tissue out of the hole...take the book with you to the dentist who pulls the tooth and insist on the protocol in the book.
    KLutzo
  15. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

is it a chicken and the egg question? Do root canals contribute to the development of the fibro, or does the fibro make the nerves of your teeth (as well as all the rest of your nerves) react abnormally? Since I firmly believe fibro orginates from some sort of neurotransmitter snafu, I am leaning toward the latter. I already made one dentist pull a tooth that had a root canal because of the untreatable, unbearable pain, plus I have had 3 other extractions. That was no fun either. Dilemma brewing.
  16. cpalance

cpalance New Member

You wouldn't happen to be from the Detroit area would you? I used to know a Leann Sweeney in Detroit many many yrs ago.

Cindy
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are docs out there who say root canals are dangerous. I have had three and, knock on wood, I've not had any problems with them. I believe in trying to save teeth at all costs; one can always have them removed later.

Prosthetics are never like one's own teeth. There are people out there who have bridgework and dentures and have never had problems with them, but there are far more who do.

Love, Mikie
  18. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The problems I was referring to with root canal have nothing to do with FMS specifically, but with not having an immune system strong enough to handle the root infection. If you are part of the 30% who do have a strong enough system, you will have redness, soreness and maybe pus along with your pain. If you have no symptom other than pain, and esp. if you've been told that the type of root infection you have is a condensing osteitis, where your body, not being strong enough to fight, encloses the root in a bony substance that looks like gauze on x-rays, then your immune system is sub-par, and having root canals could later on lead to heart, kidney, or brain disease, when the infected material eventually leaks through the osteitis (bone is porous folks!). Like I said, read The Root Canal Cover Up. More and more doctors are finally realizing the connection between the health of your mouth and the health of your heart. Gum disease is now an accepted risk factor for heart disease, but alternative medicine has known about this for decades. I don't trust conventional dentists any more than I trust conventional doctors.
    Just my two cents,
    Klutzo
  19. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

but glad to meet you and all these great, well informed people here.
  20. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

I do want to save the tooth. Having no meniscus in my left jaw, I think a bridge might negate the small fortune I spent at the orthodontist getting my bite fixed (the braces did reduce the TMJ pain). Since starting Immunplex everyday (recommended by one of the "good docs," Dr. Salvato in Houston, who I found on this site)I am much more resistant to illness--and I am explosed to LOTS of illnesses being a school nurse. Still scared, of course. But I seem to have found many people who cared enough to respond and offer advice. That means so much.