Have you been to a reflexologist?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bellesmom, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I had a couple that does "reflexology" highly referred to me some time back and I just have not gotten to them yet. I understand this is something like acupuncture without the needles (?) and the persons who recommended it get wonderful relief.

Has anyone been there and gotten good results? I am in such pain tonight that I am launching a few topics just to keep from dropping dead here.

Thanx
    Pam
  2. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I did part of a reflexology training course, and also had reflexology treatment for around a year.
    It's a form of foot massage. All the organs and systems of the body have their 'place' on the foot, mainly on the sole, and during the session you may feel prickling sensations, like the practitioner is digging in with her nail (which she isn't!) or sometimes it's quite painful when an area is pressed on, signifying problems in that area.

She helped me a lot (I didn't have the fibro symptoms then) but never managed to shift my migraines (which was my main reason for going)
    It's wonderfully relaxing and I'd recommend it to anyone for that reason if nothing else.

Don't expect miracles, but you may get some pain relief from it, and it may help to balance out some of the systems that get so out of kilter with fibro. I don't know but maybe it'd help with fatigue and poor sleep too.

My sleep wasnt as bad while i was being treated as it has got since I stopped. It's impossible to prove, but I believe it was helping to keep me from going downhill so quickly. I stopped for financial reasons.
    I'm now trying homeopathy (which helped me a lot in the past) but if I could afford both I'd get reflexology again, and probably will eventually go back to it even if it's just once every couple of months as a de-stress relaxation thing!
    good luck, Pam xx
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

though it can sometimes be a little painful, it is mostly very soothing for me and I love it.

I've liked having my feet rubbed since I was quite young. As a teen i know I would have my boyf's rub my feet after being on them all day at work. I wondered why it was so wonderful for me, not just good for the foot but felt like it did something for the whole of me.

Later when I learned a little about reflexology it helped me understand why I loved foot rubs so much.

I think you might really like it, so try it!

I doubt it will suddenly increase your functioning dramatically, but it may help you detox a little and feel a little better, and as I said, mostly very pleasurable.

I used to do a little for my friends and have used some reflex points on the hands and ears to give a bit of relief to friends/family with pain or headache. Esp my friend with the sinus problems, if I stimulate the tender point on the web b/w teh thumb and first finger it always helps a bit. Mind you, stimulating that point is rather painful fo the person while you are doing it.

anyhow, hope you enjoy your reflexology when you go.

J.
  4. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I'm going to make an appt ASAP!!

Pam
  5. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I agree with Jen. I find it sooths my whole self when I get a foot massage which reflexology does give.
    I have a whirlpool. Once I was resting my foot against a jet of water and one spot hurt but it was a good hurt if you know what I mean.
    Anwyay when I was done with my bath I felt sick! I think it released some toxins big time.
    I asked a girl who does reflex... and she said the spot I hit was one for the liver.
    Ziggy
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

.....and was very disappointed. It wasn't like a foot massage from a loved one. It was a bit painful, as massages can be.

I paid extra special attention to how I felt that night and all the next day, and I didn't see one iota of improvement in any area. Not an extra drop of energy, not a bit of relief from muscle pain.

For me, it was a big disappointment. But that doesn't mean it won't work for you!

It's worth a try, anyway.
    Good luck!
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

.....and was very disappointed. It wasn't like a foot massage from a loved one. It was a bit painful, as massages can be.

I paid extra special attention to how I felt that night and all the next day, and I didn't see one iota of improvement in any area. Not an extra drop of energy, not a bit of relief from muscle pain.

For me, it was a big disappointment. But that doesn't mean it won't work for you!

It's worth a try, anyway.
    Good luck!