Have you ever been discriminated against because of your illness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PlateletGal, Jun 30, 2006.

1. PlateletGal

PlateletGal New Member

I have CFIDS and as you know, it is an invisible illness. People assume that because I look fine and am attractive that I feel fine. Because of this, I was discriminated against by my supervisor and in my opinion... don't have much support from my family as I would if I had another disease.

I was wondering how many of you can relate?

PlateletGal
  2. SweetT

SweetT New Member

My supervisor did not believe me until I got medical documentation. And my family still doesn't understand, but they're energy-drainers anyway.
  3. roadkill

roadkill New Member

I was discriminated against by a place that was supposed to help people who were discriminated against. Go figure.
    I applied to a job placement agency set up by the government that was to help people with disabilites find work in their profession.

Because I had 2 disabilites I was refused help. It was ok that I had fibromyalgia but when they found out that I had suffered from depression, I was refused help. My depression at the time was in remission. They stopped answering my calls and were really cold and blunt when I did get hold of them.

They didn't even ask me any questions to investigate what they found.

To this day I am astonished at the lack of knowledge this so called specialized placement agency had. Good thing I didn't tell them about the chronic candida, the bladder problem, the hypoglycemia, the food allergies, the carbohydrate intolerance, the hormonal deficiencies, etc., etc.
    To make matters worse I was in a woman's shelter at the time because my relationship had broken down. It did not look good but it is a reality of this illness.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2006]
  4. daynakb

daynakb New Member

I have had doctors pretty much tell me I'm crazy. A couple of bosses that always thought I was lying when I said I was ill because I looked fine. My husband's family think it's all in my head because I don't eat pain pills like M&Ms like they do over nothing. Unfortunately when you live with this pain and all 24/7 you get used to it and manage to go on with your life without crying and complaining constantly. Basically you learn to suffer in silence. Because of this you may look fine since pain doesn't leave a huge scar in the middle of your forehead or anything for all to see.

It took a while but my family is now very understanding. I did have one boss that became more understanding after I had a discussion with him about fibromyalgia. Basically I told him that I live with pain every minute of every day of my life. If I call in sick because I'm hurting, then I am REALLY SERIOUSLY in pain. You would have thought he would have been sympathetic from the start considering he is an endocrinologist.
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i told a compnay that i was interviewing for ..well never did get the return call back,,,

i have learned not to say anything anymore...

and now after reading one of the prior posts...i don't know if i should go to the local state unemployment office and have them help me find a job for the disabled...

sorry i have way too many disabilities to mention...

jodie[This Message was Edited on 07/16/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2006]
  6. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

right now I am in a battle with the university, they have a policy against chronic illnesses.

"Students are responsible for properly balancing academic work with known chronic conditions."

So basically, if I get sick again while I am attending school...they will not drop my classes for me, but fail me...and still charge me for a full semester.

I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point.
  7. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

I am speaking to a student advocate tomorrow about the issue. I will figure out my situation, and thank you about the civil liberties idea. I plan on finding a way to get this policy changed, basically once you drop a semester of class due to a chronic illness--you are not allowed to drop another semester for the same chronic illness.

I think it is absurd, anyone who has a chronic illness knows that their lives are very unpredictable. I have done some research and it is a public university so I SHOULD be covered under the ADA. My concer does no lies just within my case....but of those with other chronic illnesses. The CDC ranks Arthritis (which FMS is included under) is the nations top ranking cause of disability.

I'm not sure why I as well as the 21 million other Americans who suffer from chronic illness are being discriminated against at this school, but I am determined to have this policy changed.
  8. hockeymom2

hockeymom2 New Member

I am ashamed to say but I pretty much keep my fibromyalgia a secret. I am so afraid people will think I am crazy or not believe me, so I keep it to myself.
  9. matthewson

matthewson New Member

even everyone at work. But, I work in the healthcare field and we have a lot of people with auto-immune diseases and the like, so they understand it.

I wanted to ask you how you picked your name plateletgal? Do you have thrombocythemia or thrombocytopenia? Just curious as I work in a lab.

Take care, Sally
  10. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

yes.
    i have FM, and i'm sixteen...
    so it gets really ugly for me.

when i first figured out that i couldn't go to school,
    everyone was talking about me. they kept saying that i shouldn't be going to the movies once a month with my friends if i wasn't in school.

i simply told them that i knew for a fact that they've skipped school intentionally before, and i wasn't skipping.

there was also a rumor going around that i died; high school is absolutely horrid. and of course, once someone knows, the whole class knows.

having an invisible illness can be absolutely brutal mentally.