Have you ever been upset stressed by watching a TV show?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, May 18, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I was watching ER to night as it was the Season FAnale. It was packed with action and suspense. Lots of ineresting things going on. But as soon as the bad guys came is and started to shoot up the ER my pulse stared to race and my breathing became hard er to breaths, I was feeling like i was going to have a panic attack.

Yet I could not pull my self away from the TV even as much as it was upseting to me. What is wrong with me?
    I have watched ER for all the years it has been on and have found it to be interesting and it has brought so much to light about different and hard to dianogse what was wrong with each patient.

Tonight as I watched the favorite chaercaters {SP} get shot and injured and all the anger and blood I was feeling like I was there in that room and it was all real to me for that moment. I felt like I was just watching this happen to REAL PEOPLE instaed of made up people played by actors so how could this feel so real to me?

I must watch far to much TV. I could not even get through to the end as it was so upsetting me. How silly is that. A fictional story with fictional people and I am concerned about them as if they were real. I need to get a life.

I have had this happen once before as I was watching ghost With Demi Moore and Patrick Swazye, as as it went on to have alot of blood and viloence it gave me a full blown panic attack and I was not able to watch that movie for 2 years with out getting those feelings. What is going on in my little mind?

I know that this muct sound silly as none of the people are real in the show yet seening the pain and tramua of these actors was what was upsetting me.

I don't know if that is a normal responce. I do have panic attacks and take Xanax for them and I don't get them often any more. JUst when I watch Stressfull TV shows.
    There must be some thing strange about me.
    Rosemarie
  2. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

Glad it wasn't just me.
    But, I was like that with all my favorite shows finale's!
    When you watch the shows every week, it's hard to not get attached to the characters. They become very real to you. It's like watching friends going through this stuff and you can't help them.
  3. Strawberry94

Strawberry94 New Member

I am more sensitive now. I avoid movies and TV with lots of violence or horror now. I hate watching medical shows. I have seen and experienced enough sickness and interacted with enough doctors to last a lifetime, LOL.
  4. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

Rosemarie - I admit I didn't read your whole post but only because I taped ER last night and haven't watched it yet so just in case it mentioned anything that happened.(thought I was too tired to stay up and watch then went to bed and tossed and turned - oh well)........Anyway, you're definitly not alone on this one and there's nothing strange about you!! I love the Amazing Race but sometimes have to sit up after and calm down because I got so tense rooting my team to the finish line. And some nights I really want to watch ER or Ghost Hunters or even a TV movie and I don't because I realize I'm already feeling tense and anxious...TV gets your emotions going but sometimes it feels like that's being amplified by 200%. My trick if I feel worked up after a shows gone off or if I'm already anxious is to put watch a mindless comedy or a musical; that's where DVD's have really saved me.
  5. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I often have to leave the room when it starts getting too "heavy" for me. I earned a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology and found when I tried to practice in the field that I got too emotionally involved with my client's problems to really be able to help them. I just couldn't be objective.

I told my rheumatologist this when I was giving her my "life history." She found that interesting. She said FM is a central sensitization disorder, and maybe being physically ultra-sensitive is somehow connected to being emotionally ultra-sensitive?

It IS interesting when you think about it, isn't it?
  6. Treca

Treca New Member

OK I am a confessed addict to ALL the CSI's as well as, Criminal Minds, House, and Ultimate Fighter(this is all my hubbies fault. He got me into this sport.Hehe)

I go on such a roller coaster of feelings when I watch these shows. Whether it be mad, upset, frustrated, or sometimes the gut wrenching sadness that makes you cry or the freaky sensation you feel when the back of the hairs of your neck stand on it when it becomes so intense.

I know that I don't have such serious effects as some of you do, but I do have to catch myself and calm myself down a little sometimes and just breathe and keep reminding myself that it's only a show. I'm one of those people thankful sometimes for those long commercials.

I've often had to record my shows that way if I feel myself getting to tensed up or sad I can stop it and go do something else to relax myself.

Like most of you this is one of the things that we can actually do and enjoy it for the most part. I don't care if people say that I'm a couch potato. I just tell them well you go ahead and inject yourself with the flu bug and spend a day in my shoes and then come back and tell me what ya think. They don't say anything after that. I know that I'm not a couch potatoe..my son won't let me be..hehe. It's just maddening when people assume.

It's just nice to be able to pretend to get away for however long the shows we watch are on. As long as we come back to reality. I think all of us are just fine and COMPLETELY NORMAL.:)

{{{{{Big Hugs}}}}}}
    Treca :)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2006]
  7. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Yes, I can get really stressed watching certain things too.

I made the mistake of seeing "United 93" the week it came out. My mom had an office in the Pentagon on 9/11 right where the plane was crashed. It took her 18 hours to get a cell phone signal out to my sister to let us know that she had not been in her office that morning. It was the worst day of my life.

Seeing such a realistic portrayal of that horrible day left me sitting in the theater for about 15 minutes before I was composed enough to walk out - and another 20 minutes before I could drive home.

I try not to watch things like that, but I thought that seeing this movie was important.. Next time, I'll just read the reviews!

julie (is free!)

Have you forgotten
    how it felt that day
    to see your homeland under fire
    and her people blown away?
    Have you forgotten
    all the people killed
    Yeah some went down like heroes
    in that Pennsylvania field
    Now you tell me not to worry 'bout
    bin Laden
    Have you forgotten.....? - Daryl Worely
  8. noodle11

noodle11 New Member

Hi,

My doctor explained to me that FM patients can get very impacted by TV, movies, books, etc. Our brains do not relax, and we have a very emotional response to what we are viewing. Non-FM people use television, etc. as a means of entertainment and relaxation. Not us! Our brains interpret the actions as more real and we experience the stress related to the actions. Now, I'm not saying to totally avoid these, but try to spend at least 15 minutes a day totally relaxing....lying down, deep breathing, clearing your mind, and envision your muscles melting into the floor. This allows the brain to slow down.
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Rosemarie,

Wow, you really did get into that program didn't you? If I watched a TV program like that and got into it as much as you, I would actually "HAVE" a life, LOL!

Unfortunately, I watch the "old" shows like things on TV Land etc. I suppose this may be related to the depression, not sure, but I will watch shows over and over again. I do watch a couple of the reality shows like Survivor and the Dancing shows.

If you enjoy and good entertainment for you, I would say, watch it!!!

BlueSky555
  10. painandagony

painandagony New Member

Oh yea! It is weird to admit, but I can get choked up watching American Inventor or even What Not To Wear on TLC. And Lifetime movies, fugetabout it! Inspirational, sadness and tragedy - it doesn't matter - i get emotional very easily.

I also like to watch all the crime dramas....not sure why.
  11. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Add me to the list. I will not watch horror movie or anything with a lot of yelling. I can't deal with the stress it invokes in me.
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

some shows get my mind thinking about my past of things that have gone wrong or touched me in a way...and i get crying and depressed///

so i do not watch alot of t.v.

jodie

13. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I watched ER Finale same as you and yeah those scenes were INTENSE and I felt saddened and all the usual emotions. Sometimes I cry during talk shows and documentaries because the stories are so saddening or just shocking and sometimes I can relate to them as well.

I used to watch a lot of shows with debate and controversy and of course I yell at the TV trying to yell at the person doing the stupid stuff LOL.

I cut out those shows as I noticed that my stress levels were high by the time the commercial break came through.

Nowadays I watch a lot of things that don't rile me up such as cooking shows, and minor stories.

When I was first just staying home and gave up trying to work, I watched a lot of TV and now I barely watch much. I have my shows that I like and I setup to watch them like Top Model, hey I'm 6'1, I gotta watch that of course! I watch Boston Legal, Hope & Faith, CSI: Miami (WHEN I can handle it), my one Canadian show Degrassi, and lots of Disney shows (and I don't have children LOL), and ABC Family.

14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I always watch ER. When this week's show ended I told my husband those two actors must have asked for a raise, so they are killing them off in the series.

Many times I have to switch off from ER to something else. I am very sensitive and don't normally watch violence on TV, movies, etc.

I use a special button on the remote that instantly changes the station.

I especially don't watch the news. A while back, here in CA we have bad mudslides and people were buried alive. The stupid news crew was out there with their microphones trying to pick up people's voices. I was so upset I stopped watching all news that day. I read the news on the internet instead.

I like the reality shows like "bringing home baby", "Little People". I also watch Roseanne reruns and of coarse "Dog The Bounty Hunter".

15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

rosemarie,
    There isnt anything strange about you honestly because i feel exactly the same as you do.
    If i see anyone die on tv i burst into floods of tears im inconsoleble.
    My nan died in nov 04 & i miss her so much it hurts.
    I have to go for bereavement counselling even though its be nearly 2 years i still miss her so much.
    I was closer to her than my older sisiter & my younger brother & i moved in with her so i could look after her.
    Now theres an empty hole in my heart & my poor nan still hasnt been laid to rest may god bless her.
    My dad has artritis so he cant work he arranged the funeral but he didnt know that if he rang the local council up they would have paid for her funeral.
    It was very expensive & he owes about 1 thousand & 15 pounds.
    Its hard because we both get upset but believe me its perfectly normal so dont worry.
    Im here for you anytime ok youve just made a true friend.
    May god bless you & yours.Fibrolady37.
  16. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

rosemarie,
    There isnt anything strange about you honestly because i feel exactly the same as you do.
    If i see anyone die on tv i burst into floods of tears im inconsoleble.
    My nan died in nov 04 & i miss her so much it hurts.
    I have to go for bereavement counselling even though its be nearly 2 years i still miss her so much.
    I was closer to her than my older sisiter & my younger brother & i moved in with her so i could look after her.
    Now theres an empty hole in my heart & my poor nan still hasnt been laid to rest may god bless her.
    My dad has artritis so he cant work he arranged the funeral but he didnt know that if he rang the local council up they would have paid for her funeral.
    It was very expensive & he owes about 1 thousand & 15 pounds.
    Its hard because we both get upset but believe me its perfectly normal so dont worry.
    Im here for you anytime ok youve just made a true friend.
    May god bless you & yours.Fibrolady37.
  17. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I love Er and by the way I heard Abby and Kovach will be back so you can rest easy!

I got choked up the other day watching Dr Phil. They had a woman who was abusing her children. They kept a huge stick above the door to discipline the children and they were terified. I knew it was real and it was really upsetting.

Some days I just lay off of the news. I enjoy politics but the bickering ect.. get to me and I have to turn it off. it upsets me when I see reports on the sexual predators going after kids. I guess the real stuff bothers me but the TV show stuff isn't real so i'm okay with it.

Lynn
  18. gga

gga New Member

Let me add to that you are not alone! I used to watch anything but since having FM and CFS I have to select the shows carefully. ER is too upsetting, I tried to watch that movie Gothica and only got through 30 minutes before having a horrible attack. Nope, now I just watch sitcoms that I know will make me laugh and not set off the system.
    I know it stinks.
  19. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I agree with you guys that don't watch the news. It is very depressing already.

My other 2 cents worth.

BlueSky555