Have you ever Googled your address by satellite?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Oct 21, 2007.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I'm not a computer whiz so I was skeptical when my brother told me that anyone could see any address on Goggle satellite. Well I tried it and was amazed, I started looking up friends in other states and was thrilled at the fact that I could see as close as seeing the color of cars!
    Once the initial excitement wore off I became down right creeped out...eewwww the thought that anyone can see this and find you with a few clicks of a mouse is disturbing. So is it the pessimistic paranoid personality taking over or do you agree?

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Did you get it to zoom down that clear? I can't get it more than just a high aerial view. I would LOVE to find out how to snoop like that!

3. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

and I could go off on a total rant from the rooftops here, but I wont. I will note, though, that when I googled my address it showed my son't car in the back yard, and we had sold it 2 weeks before, so at least it's not up to the minute.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

The data is several years old, as we googled Jim's parent's house...they both died in the past two years...and their cars were parked in the driveway. They had not had those for sometime before they passed.

I acutally thought it was fun to do this. We looked at our families' houses and found them. Our house did not have our deck yet, so the pics are old. Might try to see if things are updated.

Anyway, it was fun...sorry it creeped you out.

5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

CREEPY. Sometimes I sell stuff on ebay and when I have cause to be curious about a buyer, I might just GoogleEarth them! I HATE it when I do that!

But the technology involved is AWESOME. I know this is kind of last-decade to tech-buffs, but I still think it's MAGIC. I love to hop from place to place (no, not those ebayers, they're a rare exception), but just maybe between cities or areas of the earth I'm interested in. I feel like I'm strapped into the cockpit and blasting off, then soaring into a new direction and zeroing in for the hover. OK, I can be kinda easily thrilled.

Try it. It's fun. It's also incredibly creepy that we're ALL mapped out!

6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you have to set it up. exbf did set it for me but i deleted it .

and if you pay extra money you can basically do a survielence of an address if you wish.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

It has to do with the address you're googling? Funny that you mention this, because I just did mine the other day, and also could only get a high aerial view...

but I'm out in the country. I didn't have time to try other areas that might have closer views.

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

None of the houses in the picture were the house in question.

9. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

for EVERY address.

Some areas have been better mapped and photos have better resolution. I'm interested too in how often they update this.

you can also use Zillow. That's even MORE snoopy, as the address and ariel photo pop up with an ESTIMATE of the property's real-estate worth. During these days of "the bubble", that may not be so meaningful either.
  10. painterZ

painterZ New Member

that there is a GoogleEarth, I just went to Google maps, typed in the address or landmark, selected satelite and up it came. At first I couldn't get much of anything, but when I tried later I clearly saw my house, car, tree line and etc My brother said they usually take pictures every few years during the fall and winter to avoid trees getting in the way. There wasn't any cost going through Google maps so I'm thinking GoogleEarth might offer more-I'm not sure.

11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I have googled my house, my childhood homes and tons of other stuff. But I like Google Earth better. In fact, I love that program! I love how you start out with the whole planet in view, then zoom in at high speed to anywhere on the planet. Well, almost anywhere. It's almost like flying! I can literally spend hours at a time, just exploring the planet from home.

When my son was home on Army leave from Iraq, he took me via GoogleEarth to the warehouse he lived in, in Baghdad. He showed me all the buildings around it, and where they did various things. Technology is amazing!

But this is only what they allow us to see. In reality, the technology is much better than this. They can actually read your mail over your shoulder from space.

Until recently, Google maps had a sense of humor. You could type in your US address and search for driving directions to Paris, Ireland or whatever. Google would lead you down all the proper highways till you came to the ocean. Step 25 or so was "swim XXXXX miles across the Atlantic Ocean." It would bring you back to land somewhere on the coast of France and continue on with the driving directions to your European vacation destination. Now if you try that, it just tells you it can't calculate those directions. Stupid lazy unfunny Google! I am disappointed in them. It was such a humorous treat for anyone stupid enough to try planning a driving trip to Europe.

I, of course read about this trick online. I was not one of those people actually attempting to drive to Ireland.