Have you ever had a remission?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroFay, Sep 1, 2009.

1. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I'm just wondering how many of us have ever had a remission from our symptoms and how long the remission lasted.

I've had FM for 14 years and have never experienced a remission from my symptoms. Not even a partial remission. I'm wondering when my remission is due? I'm looking forward to it;)

Anyone want to share?

Hugs, Fay
  2. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I've had CFS (not FM) since mid 2006, gradual onset. Prior to that, no physical health problems and I always had a ton of energy. I had one remission that started in Jan. 2008 and went for many months (about 6) until I started feeling crappy again. Early that year it was such a full blown remission that I thought I was well again. This year the CFS is back in full swing. I am once again mostly housebound and living on the sidelines of life, just hoping and wishing for another remission or a recovery. I think talking about remissions is a good way to keep some of us from falling into the pit of despair and I look forward to hearing other people's input.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Have had CFS for 7 yrs. doubt my dx so often and NO I have never had a Remission.

I have a day every now and then that are better than others but they never last. One day I felt so much better I went job hunting, well that was it. The past 2 yrs seem to be getting worse.

We are due for some relief and I too am waiting.

God Bless,

4. lease79

lease79 New Member

I've had partial remissions over the years, but never a full remission. I've CFS/FMS for 18 odd years now, actual dx of CFS 11 years ago, & of FMS 7 years ago.

I have a 5 year gap between my last child & the one previous, because I was so sick at times during those 5 years that I could barely function. I couldn't drive, & at times could not get out of bed. I couldn't drive.

Before getting pregnant with my last child I was doing good for me. Incapable of anything very physical, but able to drive & do stuff with my children that I had not been able to do in years.

Since having my last child I was doing really well until I pushed it too hard a couple of weeks ago & WHAM I am in a flare :( Symptoms that I had totally forgotten about are back in full swing :(

5. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

a remission; I was able to feel a bit better by walking on my treadmill four times a week (slowly, of course) but then was in bad car accident & that knocked the exercising option right out of the park. My pain levels went from 3-4 to now 7-8. But never have had even the slightest remission!
  6. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Sounds like we'd all be happy to get a good day or two now and then, if not a remission.

I used to do the walking for exercise thing. But, any real effort on my part would just put me flat on my back. Now my exercise consists of doing the routine stuff to get through the day.

Here's hoping for a remission for all of us!

Hugs, Fay
  7. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Every few years if I carefully husband my energy until I feel normal again. During remission, which will last a month or three, I guarantee its destruction by walking faster/further till I can again jog. One mile downhill the best I have achieved. Jogging a very poor substitute for running, of course. Because only running generates a runner's high.
  8. street129

street129 New Member

back when i was very sick,in 1995, i never taught i would ever walk again, but in 1997, 98, 99, 2000, 2001 ect, i have been in remmision all thoses years, i also went to the gym, but when i get home, i head straight for bed, but as 2009 came as of march, i came down with bronitic, which lasted for 1 month with 7 days of antibiotis, and never got back to enjoy what i have been enjoying thoses 10 years of blist.
  9. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I had a remission of FM and I'm still in it after two years! There is hope!

FibroFay, my FM only got better after I was able to exercise. And not normal-person exercise, but fibro exercise. Walking is okay, but we really need something to move -all- our muscles and tendons. For me it was stretching my muscles once a day (gently! it hurt so much it took 15-20 minutes every time because i had to go so slowly) and doing the full circle-of-movement rotation on my joints every morning, so that I could move (mostly in the cold months).

The first two weeks after I started this I thought I was getting worse (and if I can recall, the effects of the movement do make you feel worse immediately afterward, because anything hurts with this pain syndrome), but the long-term results of it I am eternally grateful for... Oh so grateful. Even when I wasn't in remission, it still helped the pain immeasurably. I couldn't imagine if I hadn't stuck with it.

Hope this helps and you get your well-deserved break!

10. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Hi there!

I'm wondering how long did you have Fibro before your remission?

Thanks for sharing HOPE!

Hugs, Fay
  11. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

for five years before it started to ease up
  12. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...I dealt with FM neurological symptoms, and not as much pain as some folks here report. But the neuro symptoms were maddening. I believe I started with the FM stuff about 1999.

I got AML (acute myeloid leukemia in 2006) and was treated for 6 mos. with chemo, then relapsed two years later and had a bone marrow transplant last summer. So FM has been totally in the background for me. I did want to say that I expected FM flares during months of treatment (where you are operating essentially without an immune system), and I didn't have any issues there. So that was a good thing.

Occasionally I drop in to check out this board, and occasionally I have an "FM" day....but much less often than before. Is it a remission of any sort? For me, I think it's mostly having much bigger fish to fry now, so I don't notice or dwell on it as much as I did. Who knows.

But I do think it's possible to have real remissions with this, or at least find the winning combination of diet/supps/medicines/or other treatments where you can achieve pretty good symptom control.

Good luck to you, I hope there's better relief for you around the corner!