Have you ever had to turn in unused pills..before you got more?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I was so surprised yesterday..I called my doctor and told them that I had tried several doses of oxycontin, and it was making me feel sicker than ever. So I asked if I could just have my lortab prescription reinstated. ( it was "automatically" discontinued the day I picked up the oxycontin prescription). Anyway, when I called the doctor ,( talked to his nurse) I was told to bring the remaining oxycontin, and when "she had them in her hand" she would give me the new prescription for Lortabs.

I have never heard of this before . We are in KY, and had been for years in WI..so maybe it is state difference.

It just seemed odd that it needed to be "turned in". I didn't even know what to say when the nurse told me that..although since I have thought I want her to SHOW me her flushing them!LOL I dont' want HER to be keeping them either!

Just curious if anyone else has had this occur? It just seemed so odd to me. I DO understand that oxycontin is a serious drug...and that they have concerns about abuse etc. And I now have about 1/2 a scrip of lortab, and most of the scrip of oxy...but GEEZ..I have to turn it in????

It seemed so odd to me!
  2. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

I would encourage you to call your State Health Department and tell them this story. When you purchase medication, it is yours no matter if you use it or not.

Many nurses get addicted to Narcotics...and this sounds a little fishy to me.

I am certain that this could not be something that the health department would encourage.

Just my suggestion...

If you do report this, let us know the outcome.

Jane
  3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I know you know this so i'm just going to say it because I like to hear it.

Politicians, and even Dr's like to feel that they've done something to improve the community. Even if it costs the innocent Hundreds, thousands,even millions of dollars.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...but since you're talking about a narcotic, perhaps this is their way of making sure a patient isn't abusing meds. They also then would have the drug to give to someone else. I still think it's way too Big Brother.

Marta
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

That sounds very odd to me also. If you purchase a product it is yours. Call a local pharmacy. Please let us know what the outcome is.
  6. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I mean you the American tax payer.

Medicaid can Implement rules
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have never heard of this either. I would call DHHS and find out more.

You might check out KY DHHS site too.

Good luck,

Karen
  8. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Yes I have just recently. I had to turn in my Lortabs when I picked up my Oxycodone.

I had actually requested the lortab because I had taken it for years and was currently taking the oxy but when I got the oxy filled the doc said I couldn't have them both at the same time.

This was upsetting but my doc said I could keep the lortab on file until I finished the oxycodone. Well the pharmacy said they had to have them back and destroy them. I had a sneaking suspicion that the pharmacist wanted the pills and I never got them back.

This is very odd to me as well because my former doc prescribed oxycontin and lortab for breakthrough pain for over 3 years and I never had to turn these in.

Fishy.....lol

Carolin
  9. TKE

TKE New Member

I can understand this only if they were free samples from your doc & individually packaged. Otherwise I think it's against health regualtions for them to retreive & dispense to another person.

My doc had given me samples of an expensive med once & asked me to try them. If I couldn't take them would I please return so he could pass them onto another patient who couldn't afford them. They were individually packaged.

Heck in PA at our pharmacies once we open the paper bag they put the pill bottle in you can't return it. I had gone to get a med for thyroid. They didn't have the name brand, which I stick to, so they gave me generic. I told them I didn't want it & they quickly told me not to open the bag due to the law.

Call your local pharmacy & ask them the laws on this, also ask about samples handed out by the docs. They are required know the laws.

10. caffey

caffey New Member

Sounds a little weird for me. I would check it out. I keep my extra oxycontin for when we adjust the dosage. If you are turning them in anywhere it should be your pharmacy where they have proper disposal methods.
    Cath
  11. lease79

lease79 New Member

Hmm sounds strange to me to. I would want to see that it had been documented somewhere that you had returned the meds. Otherwise they could end up anywhere...
  12. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry it isn't called the DHHS in KY it is called the CHFS and here is the site:

http://chfs.ky.gov/

I did a quick Google search and really couldn't find any laws pertaining to a patient turning in unused medication/narcotics.

Sorry I just do not have time to look around this site at the moment but I will when I get home from work this evening but that will not be until 7:00 PM EST.

I would certainly make some phone calls and check this out further because it does sound odd.

It may be the physician's policy but they can not make laws on their own.

It may also be that the nurse is up to something.

To my knowledge physicians do not give out samples of narcotic pain medication other than something like Ultram.

Best of luck -- I have got to go to work but let us know what you find out because I am very curious about this.

Have a pain free day,

Karen :)
  13. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I have never heard of that. Do they plan on reimbursing you for the money you paid for them. I don't it. I would definitely be checking that out. I have never had to do that..HUMM!!!!

Angie
  14. justlooking

justlooking New Member

We flushed them down the toilet together. They just want to make sure you aren't "double dipping" with the meds. Its becoming standard procedure.
    It makes you not want to try new meds because of the hassle if they don't work for you. Thats what happened to me, I wanted to try something new (Vicoprofen) but it killed my tummy so I had to take them back to the Dr and get my regular Rx from them.

they also had to write a note to the pharmacy because you aren't allowed to get pain medication filled more than once every 30 days without a RED flag coming up in the pharmacy. Some new laws put in place to make sure people aren't abusing meds.

The pharmacy has actually made me come back when i came on the 28th day to fill my RX,even though I see my Dr every 28 days... how crazy is that.

Getting crazy for the people who actually don't abuse medications while those abusing them still seem to get through the system unscathed.

Sincerely
    JL
  15. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Suzan I just went to my first appointment at a pain clinic and I took all my old meds cause i'm never sure how to dispose of them properly. The only ones they would dispose of is the Soma that I had and I had to walk to the bathroom with the nurse and she dumped them in the toliet and I was required to flush them and then sign off that I had witnessed the disposal of them. I think if they are narcotics or certian other drugs they feel it is best to dispose of them at the doctors office.....SueF
  16. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

it is a safety thing to be sure patients aren't using more meds than they are perscribed, or using two meds for the same thing.... prevents addiction.
    It also prevents them from being sold to others... not that I am saying you would do either, but there are people who do it.

I would definately ask about the money you paid for them. I would also insist that you know what is going to happen to the meds once the nurse has them in her hands...and insist you witness the disposal of them.
  17. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

The drugs are yours because u paid for them and they are not the Doctors or the Nurses. I would show them the pills so they know that u are not abusing them but I would not give them away. That is my opinion on the matter, and I would encourage you to ask a local medical agency if this is normal practice.
    take care
    mark
  18. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I also would report this .I would also wonder WHY this nurse said this and I'd be very suspish (I cant spell that)as to what she was doing with these meds.

I have NEVER heard of ANY state having this rule.I seriously think you should report this asap to protect yourself also .

Also God forbid but anyone could empty a capsule out and replace the contents with something else that could cause harm .Its a law that you can not give used drugs to someone else. Remember the Tylenol Poisons in the 70's
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2006]
  19. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My doctor told me that the laws are strict with certain narcotic meds and if the med doesn't work for you, you must return them before they will prescribe a new narcotic med. I agree that it doesn't seem fair, but it does make sense to me. Look at it this way...if your doctor gives you a script for Oxycontin and it doesn't work for you, then she gives you a script a couple of days later for Methadone and it doesn't work for you, before you know it the doctor may be writing several scripts in one month for different narcotics. If that doctor gets investigated, he/she could get into trouble for over-prescribing narcotic meds.

She told me that they are required by law to give you a letter stating that you have returned the meds and they must dispose of the ones that you returned.

Lolalee
  20. Suzan

Suzan New Member

My dh thought I was really over reacting to this incident...but you all have said the same things I was saying...so I feel better!
    I'm not so sure I have a big objection to this..EXCEPT, I DID pay for them! And I am not asking for more Lortabs till my bottle runs out...I understand the concern as oxycontin is one of the "drugs of choice" that keeps making the news...but I felt so mistrusted...and that is just one more blow in dealing with an illness that seems to take so much of my life away every day . Now it took just one more thing away...now I am a questionable person...because I may be a drug seeker...or worse yet a drug abuser.

When the reality is I would LOVE to not take any of this stuff...and just be normal like all the folks who make up these rules about all these drugs.

LOL I guess I am annoyed! I am still not sure what I will do about this...I may try another doctor...
    Again..thanks for helping me feel more NORMAL!