Have you ever noticed this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi everyone,

Has anybody else noticed that when they are quite well with this illness they catch viruses that gives them a flare up.

Then while they are very ill with it they dont catch colds, flu etc.

I have found this with me.

Shazzy
  2. skychomper

skychomper Member

I tend to virus'/flu when I am doing pretty well with my illness.

when Im relatively "okay" I can get a bug and get over it pretty quickly, but when Im doing well and get run down, and stressed I will have a bad flare, and it will take a while to get over it.

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This happens because your immune system is divided into two parts, T1 and T2, which normally alternate back and forth as needed to defend your body.
    In these illnesses, the T2 functions are turned on almost all the time, resulting in an over-reaction, ie. allergies, chemical sensitivities and a lower incidence of common colds and infections.
    Meanwhile, the T1 side of the system goes undefended, making you more likely to get viruses, fungus infections, intracellular bacterial infections and cancer.
    While you are in a flare, this imbalance will get worse, leaving you wide open to getting illnesses that are handled by the T1 side of the immune system, such as viruses. The common cold is a T2 function, so your body would be overdefending against it and you'd be less likely to get it.
    Hope I explained that clearly enough.
    Klutzo
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Klutzo, now I just printed it out to digest it all.

I wondered about this also.

I will spray my nose and use Oil of Oregano (under my nose) whenever I go where there are a lot of people, it does seem to help me not catch all the virus going around.

Is it true that we contact more bacteria breathing through our nose than through our mouth? I read this somewhere.

Shalom, Shirl