Have you had a lot of Dental Work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I just met someone diagnosed with FMS since 1985 and she has a theory that her FMS was caused by extensive dental work...a lot of grinding down of teeth, etc.. I have also had a lot of dental work and was wondering how many other people with FMS have had extensive dental work.

Please respond to this post if you have. Thanks so much.

Love this support group by the way.

Lolalee
  2. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I don't know what exactly you mean by alot but I do know that Fibro does have something to do with grinding & also TMJ. I also read that you may feel that you have cavities due to nerve pain, but it is really just nerve pain from Fibro not a cavity. Also medication can effect your teeth. Just another added problem from this DD.

PIRT
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

and have had two root canals. But, I don't have TMJ or whatever the grinding thing is.

How much dental work had this person you talked to had? It is an interesting theory....

Sue
  4. Chestercat

Chestercat New Member

...if my extensive dental work was partially to blame. When I was a child I had LOADS of work done, probably not all necessary if you know what I mean. I have considered having all my fillings replaced, preferably with something non-toxic! But my present dentist said that because I have more almalgam than enamel, the lot would probably have to come out.
    I'm 44 and not ready to embrace the Granny Clampit stage yet!
    I have TMJ and grind a lot and have to wear a teeth guard at night. And that's just from the neck up. The rest of me needs rubbing out and drawing again too.
    Interesting topic. Shall follow with interest.

Dawn
  5. Manina

Manina New Member

Hi, I have not been here for a while, but seen your post and had to reply!

Yes I have had extensive dental work, all through my young adult years.I am 56 now)
    At age 26 I had to have all capping done , as I had a tumor in my palate.
    So all down hill from there on.
    Tons of xrays plus root canals.
    I also had total thyroid removal in 1999,it was papillary cancer.
    The surgeon stated that this is often caused by over exposure to dental xrays, I was a little taken back by a doctor saying this as they usually don't admit to xrays being the cause of anything they usually say it is sooo little exposure.
    She asked me if a thyroid collar was ever used when I took xrays.
    No! I did not even know what the heck they looked like.
    Now I do! but too late my top teeth are plastic LOL.
    After $30,000.00 plus in my mouth I would not put anymore into cosmetic expense. Hey they work good! LOL
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had tons. Last year, I had $3,000 worth. Had to have a bridge built and 2 crowns was the big thing last year.

My entire family have had weak teeth and have a fortune invested in their mouths!!
  7. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I have dental problems all of the time. Every time I even go in for a cleaning it causes something else to go wrong. I have a bunch of root canals, caps and bridges and fillings everywhere. I was told part of it was due to dry mouth from all of the meds . . . also breathing through the mouth instead of the nose causes problems.