Have you had surgery or a serious injury since getting sick?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm wondering how quickly people with CFS/FMS recover from serious injuries or surgeries. I don't think I've seen this question on the list before.

I'm thinking less of cuts or slight burns, and more of things like broken bones or major sprains or surgeries or serious burns.

I've had just one such incident since I've been sick, a badly sprained ankle. It seemed to me that it took an extremely long time to heal, compared to the experiences I had before I got sick and that other people seem to have with similar injuries.

Has anyone else had a serious injury or surgery since getting sick?

If so, did it seem like it took a reasonable amount of time to heal? Or was it longer than you might have expected?

Thanks!

Best, Lisa
  2. calishygirl

calishygirl New Member

Hi Lisa,

I was in remission for about 6 months 1998/1999. On 3/20/99, I had a horse accident. It took a lot out of me to heal from the fractured vertebra, and I ended up having 5 spinal surgeries because of that accident.

Needless to say, the FMS came back, and then my body added Chronic Myofascial Pain to it. Only one surgery fused, out of 3 fusion surgeries. I have to be careful not to fall or have an injury or accident, because the hardware could break or come loose because I didn't fuse, and the non-fusion parts of the spine are in both ends -- cervical and lumbar.

I will tell you this. I was in an organization that I had to have memorized a lot of ritual work. Well, I lost most of it after the accident, and if someone would ask me to recite any part of that ritual, I would not know it. I've heard people talking about when old people fall and fracture a hip, or some other bone, and they end up with dementia or some other mental problem because the healing took away from the brain power. Well, I believe FMS/CFS/CMP does it to all of us too... it takes away from our brain power/function, and function of other parts of the body. And, then I have spinal cord injuries, and that has taken away from the brain talking to the rest of the body. I am still ambulatory, but I walk with a cane all the time outside of the house, and sometimes in the house. I have also walked with a walker at times too.

I hope I made sense to you. I'm half tired because I didn't sleep well last night.

Hang in there.

Kristen
  3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi lisa
    there's something about anesthesia (surgery) that actually helped my symptoms ALOT, but it was very short lived.

2 oper. i had since having this--a hysterectomy and a thymectomy--were actually very easy post op for the first day or so. The hosp. gives you a "leg massage machine" to prevent blood clots, it is heavenly. After my thymectomy, i was in intensive care, where everyone got routine magnesium iv, and i had been trying to get enough Mag. in orally for years to relax my muscles,( but impossible unless you glue yourself to the commode!)

I didn't realize it was the mag. for a few days, but i was up and walking with a chest tube, chest drain, epidural line,catheter, etc. and strolled up to my unit to visit coworkers, and no one could BELIEVE how well i was walking, they all said i hadn't walked that well in over 2 years. AND i felt NORMAL!!

it all wore off in about 4 days, but was great while it lasted!! i did get a doc to try to duplicate the iv mag., as i had used it alot in my patients in L/D, and alot of the symptoms were the same, hyper reflexes, ankle clonus, etc.

ANYWAY--thats my surgical experience, no serious illnesses or trauma's since.
    have a great week end--L
  4. 139864

139864 New Member

I recently had surgery for a cateract .For a few days was GREAT ,then relapsed . In bed for over a week .Now ,after six weeks I have regained my strength ,but my eye still isn't right .I go back to the hosp. next Thurs. for a assessment
    hugs
    brenda
    P.S
    This is a recent abstract from Entrez .
    As i worked with this solvent every day for eighteen years would probably have some bearing on it .

"INTRODUCTION: Trichloroethylene (TCE) is extensively used as a degreasing agent in the metal industry and as a solvent for organic compounds. Its neurotoxicity (with respect to both the peripheral and central nervous systems) is now widely acknowledged. OBSERVATION: Here, we report the case of a 32-year-old male drug addict presenting temporal seizures after "huffing" TCE (i.e. voluntary inhalation). The patient also deve loped a "psycho-organic syndrome" which included cognitive dysfunction (with memory disorders in particular) and personality changes. These disorders had not been noticed by the patient's wife prior to the last episode of inhalation. Four months later, the cognitive disorders had stabilized and no further seizures had been observed. CONCLUSION: The patient's overall clinical picture (notably featuring neuropsychological disorders) and electroencephalographic and brain imaging data argue in favor of a selective effect of TCE on the temporal lobe."

PMID: 17151517 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

So did you get the same sort of magnesium IV's later on that you did in the hospital?

If so, did they continue to help?

Interesting story.

Best, Lisa
  6. iggynuzzler

iggynuzzler New Member

I have had FM for about a year and a half. I just had surgery in February and my recovery seemed to be the same as in the past.

Iggy
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...but I had a serious cancer last year, and the treatment regimen of 2 types of chemo virtually wiped out my immune system (by design). I'm making a long story short, but I got thru this much, much better than I would've expected, given my history of FM, side effects/intolerance of meds, etc. Did not suffer FM flares for my months of cancer tx, and got back to normal, or my new normal, pretty quickly.

I've also had several minor surgeries since FM dx, and healed at least as fast as the average person, I believe.

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Only a c-section when i had my son.
    During my pregnancy i felt actually better than normal...i was in very bad shape prior.
    My blood pressure dropped very very low during the csection (not sure why) and i they gave me something before i past out to raise it....so that was good.
    I recovered from the surgery....then shortly after my son was born my symptoms returned.
    Pregnancy helped me.
    Other than that the surgery was fine.
  9. wolfclan

wolfclan New Member

Hi Lisa,
    Last year I slipped on black ice (work parking lot), shattered my knee which required it being wired and meshed together, less than a year later, this last January, I had another extensive surgery, this time the surgeon left an near complete ACL tear,knee still not fixed. My FMS and MPS are in full swing I am having a very difficult time getting on top of the pain. I will have to have a knee replacement someday but I just got diagnosed with Osteoporosis from the change in activity level this last year. Seems things are so much more painful this time around. I am happy for those who have had some success with their pain management, I hope the best to you as well. Wolfclan.
  10. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I had surgery for endometriosis in Feb of '06 and it caused my fibro and rls to flare up. I still have not recovered completely. I have also had some minor surgery done to my skin last month and this month to remove some melanomas and a cyst. Pain will always cause a flare up for me so I think that has a lot to do with why I cant recover. I had the flu last month and I was out of work for a week. The last time I was that sick was when I was 12!

I also had surgery for endometriosis about 4 years ago, (had not been diagnosed with fibro at that point, but I did experience mild pain & fatigue on occasion), and I recovered quickly from it.

Michelle

11. TallMOM

TallMOM New Member

Lisa, this is a great post!
    I broke my leg really bad Dec. 5. I now have bone held together with metal and screws. I still have a lot of pain, but the bone is better. I lost a lot of muscle and nerve damage that is coming a long slowly.
    Jan
  12. ribitt

ribitt New Member

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but you need some background on what has happened to understand:

I have had FMS for as long as I can remember. On Feb 9th I had elective bi lateral arthroscopy on my knees. I was tired of the grinding and pain that was occuring adn cortisone shots were becoming an every month thing so surgery sounded good.

My Fibro symptoms before were surgery were mild. A week after the surgery (6 days to be exact), I felt a tightness in the back of my R knee and felt a pop/tear/extremely painful sensation when I stood up. I called my knee doc who sent me for an ultrasound to rule out DVT/blood clot. The ultrasound showed no clot, however, it did show a Baker's Cyst had burst in the rear of the knee. All fine and dandy - they sent me home. Three days later I'm calling the knee doc to tell him my right leg was so swollen and red I couldn't bend it and I thought I had an infection and needed something for it.

His decision? - Give me oxycontin instead of Percocet and told me it waas just post op swelling - ice, elevate, and bed rest. Against my better judgement I did that - when I finally saw him three days later my leg was swollen, red, and so painful I couldn't move it myself. His response? "That doesn't look good - I'm admitting you to the hospital for resurgery"(cleaning out and flushing the infected knee). Surgery was done and I was in the hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics, and sent home with a 30day script for Levaquin, as the culture had grown Staph aureua, non methicillin resistant thank god.

So here we are, 2 surgeries in a week and so many percocet I became addicted - still in bed, tho I can walk with crutches and am doing PT. I'm not positive if my recovery time is longer than if I didn't have FMS, but I can tell you one thing. I have never had such severe FMS symptoms as I do now. My c-reactive protein last week was 39.5 and I hurt from head to toe. I can say - my therapy is slower than it should be, and that I believe is due to the FMS pain.

Just my thoughts........
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I had an emergency hysterectomy in 2001, after having this DD since '92, or earlier.

It would not have been so trying, had they not done their darnest to try to let me bleed to death before finally getting me in the OR. Believe me, when a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, as I was for nearly 25 years, tells you they nearly bled to death, they are not being funny.

I started bleeding from fibroids, which responded for a while to hormones, and then just poured, showed up at the hospital, had the doctor covering for my doc ignore me for well over 12 hours once there, even though every nurse caring for me was frantic, and then he ordered four units of blood, and they only got two in before my surgery the next 8 a.m., while I had lost more than that during the interim.

I got eight units of blood, fresh frozen, and finally, platelets and still had a hemoglobin of 7 the next day.

The idiot GYN's also DC'd all my meds, including Effexor and Klonapin, COLD TURKEY, and I was in withdrawal from them, severely anemic and they wanted me to walk.

Finally, I told the RN, who was dumb as a stick and I was in the ICU unit, that THERE HAD BEEN DEATHS ASSOCIATED WITH ABRUPT CESSATION OF EFFEXOR AND WITHDRAWAL WITH KLONAPIN AND TO CHECK THE NOVEMBER 2000 FDA BULLETIN ABOUT THE EFFEXOR. I had to scream to get her to call the pharmacist so she would call the doc.

About 20 minutes later, she RAN INTO MY ROOM to bring the meds and it took everything I had left, not to strangle her. After taking the meds, I suggested to her that she NEVER, EVER GIVE AN ADVANCED NURSE PRACTITIONER AND A CRNA, CRAP ABOUT DRUG THINGS. WE WERE PRACTICALLY PHARMACOLOGISTS.

All that failure to get me in early, the blood loss, and everything just put me back a long way, plus, frankly seven hours on an operating table without enough pillows under my legs, from the way my back felt.

I never, ever made it back to where I was.

It drained me of the reserve I had.
  14. wolfclan

wolfclan New Member

Dear ribitt,
    My heart goes out to you as it does for all my fellow sufferers. Had the doctor listened to you (I'm sure we've all been through this) about proper pain management, it could have saved you some grief. Some doctors are finally understanding there is a huge difference between addiction and being dependent. Being dependent means your body depends on being out of pain or not dealing with as much pain. With FMS or-and MPS our pain regulator is broken, has to do with the Hypothalamus. I have done a lot of research out of desperation and thank God for the internet. We go through quite a bit of guilt as a result of our pain don't we? I am grateful for this message board, as my only sibling has not been good in the support system area. Having a good support system is so important. I hope you feel better soon, Wolfclan.
  15. wolfclan

wolfclan New Member

You are so right we are almost pharmacologists. We know our bodies more than a complete stranger, degrees or not. Trust can be a huge issue, we have had to be our own advocates, Bravo for you, sounds like you are really on top of it! Hope "dumb as a stick" learned something from you.
  16. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I have had fibro, osteoarthritis, ddd, cfs and neuropathy
    for years.

I have had cubital tunnel surg. in 1996, foot surg.
    in 1999 for plantar fashiaitis,(sp) total shoulder replacement
    in 1999, elbow surg. in 2004 to release ulnar nerve,and
    just had a total knee replacement Nov. 27, 2006.

I think I did pretty well through all of it. I was off the walker in 3 wks. and walking w/o a cane in 6 wks.
    after the knee replacement.

I am planning to have the other knee replaced this summer.

(((cathugs)))
  17. kjfms

kjfms Member

I had brain surgery on March 5, 2007 for the removal of a pituitary tumor. Surgery was successful as far as we know.

I still have testing to go through to see if I have to do radiation because at this point we do not know if all of the tumor was removed. The radiation will stop its growth.

The tumor was benign. I am recovering on schedule as a normal person. I wouldn't expect any less.

I do not believe having FMS makes me any different than any other person on the planet (except that I have chronic pain) and it certainly does not make me heal any different.

I was up and walking to the bathroom (on my own) the afternoon following my surgery. I was not about to lay in bed and have that catheter in me any longer than necessary...LOL

I was not going to lay there and take a chance of getting pneumonia either. The quicker one is up and moving the better. I think it is a matter of how one looks at their situation -- for myself I try to stay positive.

I have had an FMS flare since the surgery but it is weather related and not due to the surgery.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  18. 139864

139864 New Member

Bumping for my addition to posting
    B
  19. janie056

janie056 New Member

I had lumbar spinal fusion surgery January 07, I was told when I came home I would need a walker, and would not be able to stand in the shower and I purchased a little chair for the tub.
    I was also told I would be in the hospital for 3-5 days.
    I came home the next afternoon!
    I never had to use a walker or the little chair.
    I am recovering very well no problems. The expected surgerical pain, and now I am in Physical therapy and doing very well
    I have had some flares from this weather we are having and also very stressed about moving in 4 weeks to our new home.
    I still cannot lift more thatn 10lbs, so I can't do much and we all know how we want everything done now! lol
    I am just packing one box a day and dealing with that.

But the healing was much quicker than I had hoped for.

Jane
  20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

What a terrible story!!!