Have You Had Your Tonsils Out?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here is an interesting paragraph that I found on Natural Killer Cells:

"Natural killer cells burst forth from the the tonsils, lymph nodes and spleen, and destroy infected and cancerous cells while the immune system's T and B cells are still mobilizing," says Münz. "Without natural killer cells, threatening conditions can get a strong foothold before the adaptive immune response kicks in."

I understand that the problem in CFS is supposed to be NK Cell _activation_ rather than NK Cell _numbers_, of course.

I still wonder whether tonsillectomies make people more likely to get CFS though.

I had my tonsils taken out at age 4. (Well, obviously I had no part in the decision, but never mind.)

Have others here?
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Still have tonsils, have CFIDS and FIBRO, amongst other things.
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Yep,I had mine out at 18yrs. Not sure when I developed
    FM ! They thought that the surgery would help my hearing BUT it didn't!
    Hugs Shirley
  4. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I was 12 and after that my troubles began and has gotton worse each decade. In my teens and twenties, they began but it wasn't real bad or either I was just too young and hard headed to let it bother me.. Then in my thirties, I knew something was wrong and getting worse.

Then in my forties, I had to retire from my job of 27 years due to symptoms getting worse with pain, fatigue, and brain-fog with all the other symptoms.

Now in my fifties and it's the worse it has ever been... Makes me wonder about the sixties and seventies...
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

I didn't have them out but I did have my appendix out just a few years before I got ill. And I noticed I was getting more and more tired after that and blaming it on age, working too hard at the office and lack of exercise.

I have read that the appendix is used as the "toxic waste dump" of the body, among other places, because it's not needed. It's a good storage place for poison until it gets too full and developes infection. So that may have been a good indication that I was already getting too "toxified". Maybe that could be an alert to others that when their appendix comes out it's time for the super detox regimen of their lives.

karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2006]
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

at age 10, due to repeated strep throat infections. I still get strep a lot.

Mary
  7. jlcrafter

jlcrafter New Member

I had my tonsils out at age 5, I had no choice either. I have FM and most likely CFS.

jl
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

At 5 yoa, I had my tonsils out and had small pox vacination before I started my first year in school. (First grade at age 5).

My brother did the same, including going to school early. Not that it has anything to do with this.

But for a few yrs. I thought everyone had these things done in order to go to school. LOL.

At around age of 9 yoa, I got sick and could not walk. Did not last long. Had to stay in bed for a few days. Had trouble with legs since. They do not know why. Polio was still around more then. Some thinks I had a mutant version of Polio.

I have CFIDS and Fibro. Maybe Parkinsons also & Other things.

My brother has arthritis, rheumtoid type. Susan
  9. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

No, but I asked my doc if I could elect to have them out. He thought it would be a bad idea, but mine are so swollen and pocketed, and I get tonsil stones that smell and hurt.

I thought it might indicate that my tonsils were infected. Apparently doc thinks it's just another sign of cfs (swollen glands).

So I still have mine.

CFS 6 1/2 years --- 25 years old
  10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had chronic strep throat and finally had my tonsils out at age 9. Never had strep again, although I do still get sore throats from time to time. Hugs, Chelz.
  11. Cycie

Cycie New Member

had mine out at 28 yrs old, after an attack of Quincy, they were really bad.
    Had appendix out at 25 yoa, along with one ovary. i have FMS but with all the fatigue lately, I think CFS too.
    Got it real bad after 2nd dose of Ross River Fever 2001.

I am 56yrs

Good luck
    Cycie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2007]
  12. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

56 years old with FM/CFS and still have my tonsils, although they have shrunk quite a bit.
  13. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I was in my mid forties when I had mine out. The nurse who was getting me ready to go under the knife said "We have never done this to someone as old as you!" I told her if that was the case they should have given me a prize like a free facelift at the same time. Long story longer I had fibro for years before I had them out. Suzanne
  14. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

had mine out at age 12, mums decision but dont blame her as i missed that much school through tonsilitis she had no choice!! anyway developed FMS at possibly 19 confirmed at 38-39 ish aint heard of FMS bein acosiated wiv tonsilectomy before so am very interested at results of this posting. good health to all xxxxx
  15. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I still have my tonsils. I assume they are normal sized since no doctor has ever said anything about them. I have CFS.
  16. mindbender

mindbender New Member

and I'm not going to read all theses Posts

I have mine
  17. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

iv had a thought folks,what about our kids? and does this mean if its a contributing factor for us linking tonsilectomy to perhaps FMS or CFS then will it contribute to the future welfare of our children. Both my kids suffered terribly as youngsters with enlarged tonsils. My son had his out and gromets inserted in his ears at age 19 months,unheard of in our area as the minimum age is 5 years for this operation. He was so ill though all the time that they had to do it. My daughter also suffered from a young age and had hers out at just under 4 years of age,she used to get quinzies as her tonsils were so huge even before infection. By the way, one of hers has since grown back as the cut n stitch method of surgery at the time failed to remove one of the tonsil beds. It certainly has me thinking and a bit concerned,have any of your children followed in your footsteps so to speak as mine have done? and what does this indicate for their future if so? mmmmmmmmm............
  18. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I had no choice, I was constantly sick and could barely hear for a full year (in college no less) because of frequent ear infections.
  19. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But they grew back..so at 53..I now have tonsils!
  20. millennia

millennia New Member

I still have mine. I've never had surgery of any kind.