Have you heard of Polymyalgia or Giant Cell Arteritis??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Hope4Sofia

    Hope4Sofia New Member

    If so, how do you test for it? The Giant Cell Arteritis is especially interesting to me.

    Do any of you know how to rule these out?

  2. reckabek

    reckabek New Member

    Um i know blood work is done, and its very hard to DX...he got it from a supposed illness or flu virus, hes been is horrible pain for a yr since...hes on pretazone, and motrin, muscle relaxers and vicodin...its so sad to see him in so much pain, he can barely drink his coffee..and man is he cranky.... it is a very intriguing illness...and how it comes on...its usually in older folk...well i just know he sees a rheumo, and gets blood work....sorry...if i talk to him soon ill ask...beck
  3. Marta608

    Marta608 Member

    A friend had PMR and was diagnosed by her doctor who knew little about it at the time. It is said not to last more than a year and not return. My friend had it two years but has RA as well.

    Good luck.

  4. ldbgcoleman

    ldbgcoleman New Member

    They go by symptoms and your sed rate for poly myalgia. It almost always happens with older people and they treat it with prednisone. If you have it the prednisone with make a difference pretty quickly. Lynn
  5. Empower

    Empower New Member

    Yes, my mother has it

    I think what they have to do is a small biopsy near your temple or something strange like that.

    My mom never had the biopsy, but her doctor was very certain that she had it by her symptoms

    I also met a woman in my Rheumy's office who had it
  6. Empower

    Empower New Member

    If you receive a diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica, your doctor will check for a related condition called giant cell arteritis, which occurs in some people with polymyalgia rheumatica. Signs and symptoms such as new headaches, a tender scalp and pain when you chew, along with the results of a sed rate test can help determine whether you have this disorder.

    The only way to confirm a diagnosis of giant cell arteritis is by taking a small sample (biopsy) from the scalp artery in your temple (temporal artery). The sample is then examined under a microscope in a laboratory. Because polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis are both treated with corticosteroids, your doctor may simply suggest beginning treatment, rather than perform a biopsy.

    PREVIOUSNEXT: Complications

    Polymyositis overview
    Print this section | All sections
    Larger type

    more information
  7. Hope4Sofia

    Hope4Sofia New Member

    The giant cell arteritis symptoms are very familiar but I don't think it applies since I am 33 and have had those symptoms for about 16 yrs.

    I guess it's worth considering though. I have pain when I chew, severe nerve-like headaches behind one eye and a high sed rate and CRP.

    The all-over FM symptoms have been around for about 6 years though so PMR probably doesn't fit the bill.

    I appreciate your input. Thank you.

  8. brains

    brains Member

    age has nothing to do with it inflamation does my sister has it it is not to be played with it can cause stroke and heart attacks you r talking about the body being in a inflamed state so chech yourself out to be sure or at least read up on it dont go on one explanation all people r different
  9. sydneysider

    sydneysider Member

    Sounds like you are describing a lot of nerve pain. Have you considered going to a neurologist for a thorough investigation of all your symptoms?

    Heat packs, and muscle relaxation techniques, can be helpful to relax muscles, and take pressure off painful nerves.

[ advertisement ]