Have you lost weight upon abx. treatment?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by justjanelle, Aug 24, 2007.

1. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I have what I now suspect is a long-term case of Lyme Disease.

I had a strange rash in 16 years ago NC (large oval shape on inner forearm, well-defined darker outer border, and it did not itch or hurt) a few days after an afternoon trimming bushes around the house, although the doctor then dismissed it as a allergic reaction. Started having unexplained fatigue, pain and neurological issues about a year later. After a long and exasperating search for answers I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 5 years ago. I recently learned about several people who were diagnosed with FM who turned out to actually have Lyme and saw a photo online of the bulleye rash -- which is identical to the rash I had except mine didn't have a red dot in the middle.

Soon after the fatigue set in I started gaining weight. I've gained about 50 pounds over the years and have had no success at losing it.

I just wondered (hoped!) that if I do have Lyme and am successfully treated, the weight will be easier to lose as the other symptoms disappear.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Weight gain or loss is common with lyme disease. My SIL has gained over 50 lbs as well. My sister and I are opposite in that we both have lost weight. I have been able to gain back some weight since beginning treatment. My SIL has not started her treatment, so I can't comment on her, but I can only imagine that whatever the lyme is doing to make you gain weight will reverse once you are treated.

It must be so frustrating to have to deal with this along with the other lyme problems.

Good luck!!!
  3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I pray that once I am in full-blown treatment, I will shed some of this weight. I, too have gained 50 lbs in the 6 years I have been misdx'd, and cannot lose a single pound. If I eat any less, I will just be on liquids!

I have also heard that since Lyme likes to hide out in fat, when you lose fat it gives you more of a herx reaction. So, just watch out for that, too.

I would like to be the woman on the new Weight Watchers commercial who is running for the elevator and her skirt falls off~ Now that's what I'm talkin' about! LOL!!

Bunny
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

It's commont to either gain or lose weight with lyme. Thyroid issues are also common which could be result in hair loss.

Hopefully you are on the way to feeling better!!!!
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

I have been treated for lyme for about 2 months now, and in the last few weeks, I've finally started to lose weight.

It's very slow, .5 lb a week, but considering the time of year, I'll take it! If I ever lose, it's only in the summer, when I feel better, and am more active. So, I have hopes of reaching my ideal weight soon.