Have you "shrunk"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joc_07, Aug 6, 2005.

1. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

I thought FM was in the muscles? If so, how have I lost 3/4 of an inch off my height. I used to be 5'9" and within a couple of years I am now 5'8 1/4". I'm only 24. Has anyone else noticed or dealt with this?
    Thanks Jocelyn.
    P.s. I have a pic on my profile now.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

joc_07:
    I haven't shrunk, but wanted to say I love your new photograph.
    NyroFan
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

When I was diagnosed, in 2002, the nurse checked my height and I was an inch shorter!

I had a bone density test and all was normal. That seems strange! I am 25 to 30 pounds heavier than I should be. They say it can make people shrink also.

The former 5'5 1/4" signing off at 5'4 1/2 inches....

Kim
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am 58 and I am still just a bit over 5' 3". That is good news to me. My mom, who is 19 years older, has lost a good two inches. I think she had started to lose by now.

One good peice of health news. Take any I can get.

Sue
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

I used to be 5'4" now I am 5'3".

I am also very heavy. Maybe my spine is collapsing. I dont know if this is due to FM or not.

Michelle
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Osteoporosis can cause one to shrink. Maintaining good posture is very important to keep one's spine aligned.

I have not lost any heighth. Osteo runs in my family so I had a scan done and my bones are good.

Love, Mikie
  7. WeBee7

WeBee7 New Member

Over the last 8 years I have shrunk 3"....I never thought about it being from the FM.......On the other hand, my feet grew 1 1/2 sizes......hmmm...lol...slowly it appears I'm melting away!!!!! so great to know I'm not alone in this one.....
    Karyn
  8. nina2

nina2 New Member

I used to be 5'4".

I am now 5'2".

I think it's due to my degenerative disk disease.

The grandkids are catching up fast!
    nina
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

In my worst full blown CFS stage, where i was semi-invalid, mostly bedridden w/ the fevers and swollen lymph (enough to actually alarm my GP) I lost a half inch. It stayed gone for several years. I measured over and over.

After convalescing back to the FM side for a few years and gently exercising my way out of bed, I gained it back. YEAH!

Good news, as I'm aging I'm growing. I was 32 when I lost it, about 35 when I got it back, and 38 now and the stable 5'3.5 I was since my teens.

Jeanne
  10. lana33

lana33 New Member

I had a bone density test when I was 42, I am 45 now. I had lost 1/2 inch. The tech told me this is normal for everyone. She said most people lose up to 2 inches without there being a problem, when they get older.

However, I would talk to a doc about it if I was as young as you are. I was told I could develop osteo but right now I was fine.

Check to see if you have other things going on.

Hugs,
    Lana
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

No, I am still 5'5". But sure can't gain any weight lately.

If I were as young as you, I would have the doctor check me out. That is not normal to lose inches at your age.

For whoever said their feet got larger? or was that smaller? (foggy tonight over here :), I don't think its your feet, the shoes have gone crazy with sizes lately.

I don't just buy my size anymore, I try the shoe on. I can wear anything from a 6 1/2 to a 7 1/2. Before the last few years always wore a 7 AA! Its not our feet, its the crazy sizes.

Same with the clothes, most are larger than the size says.....

Shalom, Shirl

Shalom, Shirl
  12. Esperanza25

Esperanza25 New Member

I was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago with FMS and I know that at one time I was 5'1/4" however; for the longest time I was being measured at 4'11...about two years ago I started exercising, especially doing yoga and I have gained back 1 1/4" inches.

I believe that if you continue stretching it will be okay.

Just recently I signed up to this board and I wanted to know if anyone else, like me, feels something like a spasm on the forehead that comes with any movement of the neck, it is very painful and it feels at times like I will not be able to move my head.

Does anyone ever have that feeling? I would be interesting in knowing if is just me or is it the FMS and if anyone does have it do you know how to make it better?

Thanks
    Esperanza
  13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Several years ago I went to a doctor and they measured my height. It was 5' 3 1/2". I remarked to my mother that I had not lost any height, I was still the same height it said on my driver's license. She replied that since my driver’s license height was taken when I was sixteen, I had probably grown some after that and subsequently lost height.

Some months later, I had physical therapy, including myofascial release and cranial-sacral. The next time I went to the doctor, the nurse measured me and said, “5’ 4 1/2” “. I said, “don’t you mean 3 1/2” “. She said, “no, 4 1/2” “. I had apparently regained an inch in height from the physical therapy.

That was about 4 years ago. I was back to the doctor recently and measured 5’ 4”, so I am losing again. I had a bone density test done about 5 years ago, and it was normal at that time.
  14. petsrme

petsrme Member

I have shrunk almost two inches. My shrinkage can probably be blamed on a few things. I have osteoporsis, scoliosis and DDD. I am only 38. I found out I had shrunk about three years ago.
  15. KelB

KelB New Member

Between ages of 16 and 21 I stuck at 5' 9 1/2" - the family joke that I was the "shorty" and didn't even make it into double figures (most of my family are six footers).

Had my height measured for an op earlier this year and aged 41, I'm now 5' 7".

I took myself for a private bone density check as osteoporosis runs in the family, but thankfully that's at 99%, which I was told is unusually good for someone my age.

The doctors don't seem bothered. They're dismissing it on the assumption that all the height measurements I had when younger were all wrong!

I think it's got something to do with my hypermobility and the fact that my joints are getting more lax as I age. I'm slumping in more ways than one...
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2005]