Have You Tried DHEA ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANNXYZ, May 8, 2006.

1. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

This is a hormone that declines with age . The FFC recommends it for a lot of patients - my level was very low for sure .

If you go to the PH library here , there are impressive articles linking depression to low DHEA levels and studies by Universities that show DHEA levels are
    vitally linked to all hormone production , to depression and to immune function.

Has anyone here noticed it helping ? The studies are impressive .
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

mine was on the lower side but I decided nto to take it. I too go to the ffc but their are a lot of negative side effects with dhea. I did go on pregnenlone and that raises your DHEA anyway so I figured that would be good enough.

You are correct there are tons of good articles supporting it.
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Has the pregnenolone helped your memory or energy ?
    I have read that 7 Keto DHEA does not cause hormonal
    problems as it converts in the body .

Have you noticed the pregnenolone helping in any way ?
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

The doctor who diagnosed me with cfs put me on it when tests showed that my levels were very low.

The levels gradually came up to normal, but I did not notice any difference. After a few years I stopped taking it. An unsuccessful experiment in my case. However, everyone is different.

Before you start taking it, make sure that your own levels are low. Saliva tests are the most accurate way of determining your level.
  5. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

My periods had stopped for about 6 months and an endocrinologist said my horomone levels weren't off enough to be put on anything. I read in a book about it and started taking it and within a month my periods were normal. As far as the depression I take so many different natural supplements and vitamins that I am not sure what helped the most or if it was a combo of them but I don't have depression anymore at all. I think it is worth everyone checking it out and I have been on 25mg DHEA for over a year now with no side effects. I started on 50mg until my period came back and then went down to 25.
  6. jane32

jane32 New Member

I think the pregnenlone helped. It changed my menstrual cycle which delayed my fevers a bit so to me that was helpful. I will hopefully get my levels checked next week so I will send a post out when I get the results.