Have you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Feb 21, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I am schedule to see a neuro doc because of my brain fog symptoms. Has anyone else seen one? If so what test did he/she do? I have had a MRI that didn't show anything.

Is your fog as bad as mine...

Examples: * Didn't recognize an exit close to my house where I have lived for 30 plus yrs.
    * Told my daughter I should have bought her the pink shoes instead of the white shoes and I wasn't even with her when she bought them.
    * Had trouble thinking of the correct word.

Those are just a few of the things I have done but my fibro and primary think its not normal for FM. Thoughts
  2. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I went to a neuro a few times, but not specifically for brain fog.

I went due to my numerous symptoms that with my primary and blood tests weren't getting answers.

He did do an MRI (brain and cervical spine). He was looking for MS. He also took 8 vials of blood looking for everything under the sun. My MRI and blood were fine. Then he had me back 2 more times and did EMG's on my arms and legs (electircal stimulation tests to see how nerves are reacting). I was told that I have polyneuropathy (which can be cause by 100 other things but in my case most likely hereditary). I was happy (silly, I know) that a test finally came back positive, but frustrated because there was still nothing to be done.

EMG's are tolerable, but I won't lie, they do hurt. But again, they ARE tolerable.

Anyway, that was what my neuro did.

Good Luck, Joann
  3. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

It really depends on the day. I would love to say it's worse when I'm tired, but once again, no pattern.

I have had occasions when I am driving through town in a direction that I have taken for years and suddenly find that I can't picture in my mind the route to take. It comes to me within a minute of running over it in my mind.

I also recall having a conversation with my husband on an occassion when we were out to eat with my parents and our kids...funny thing...my husband was in Florida when I had that non-existant conversation with him.

I have to say that I haven't really talked to my doc's about brain fog much. I mentioned it with my initial on-slaught of symptoms, but my muscles are my main focus. I often wonder if my muscles didn't drive me so crazy, perhaps my mind wouldn't be either (meaning less or no brain fog).

Funny, Now I can't remember your question!

Joann

4. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Personaly I think it has to do with my fatigue. When I am tired mentally I just can't think clearly. If my MRI was OK, I just wonder what else the neuro doc could find to count for my fog.
  5. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hi,

It would really be appreciated if you could post an update after your neuro visit. I have the same type of things happen to me and it's gotten worse over the last year. If I mention it to anyone, they make jokes about my age or say "I know what you mean. That happens to me too." My GP didn't pay much attention and said something about all the meds I was on. It just happens so much that I'm getting really frustrated. I always attributed it to the fibro but sometimes I wonder, since I don't know how much others with fibro have this problem. My kids get tired of me calling them by the dog's name and me asking them "you know, what's the word I'm looking for?".LOL My husband and I have even fought over things because he said it never took place. I don't back down until my girls tell me it really didn't happen! What a tough life he has! LOL

Thanks For Listening, pat460
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I see a neurologist every 2 months.I also had an MRI last year that should a few things with my back.I also had one a month ago and meeting with her on 26th of this month with my husband to discuss what the test showed.

She will not tell me anything over the phone.That MRI was for my legs they go numb all the time.In September I lost the feeling and fell ,I broke my ankle that time.

I have a very bad memory now.I am so bad that when I cant think of how to say a word I stutter till it comes out right.I did go to my neurologist for that.

For my brain I went to a Neuropsychology.I had a test that lasted 2 hours called Neuropsycchological Evaluation.
    I believe for brain fog you need that test.

She found I had deterioration of the front lobe .There is nothing that can be done for this but at least I am not any worst.I will have another one (test) in 3yrs so we can see if its gotten worst.

Hope you see this.Good luck to you.
    Sue

7. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I will update everyone on what the neuro doctor says and the tests he does. The doctor's office has not called me with the appt date yet.

My brain MRI was just done a few weeks ago, my rheum ordered it. But he said it was normal according to the radiology report. I am going to post another topic about brain fog and word it different so we can see how common a symptom this is for FM. Maybe my doctor just wants to be on the safe side and rule anything else out. Or she may not have a lot of experience with FM Fog.
  8. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

I cant wait to hear what your results are.

I forget things all the time. I have actually walked into the kitched looking for something, opened every cabinet door, forgot from the start I was looking for something specific, and then walked out leaving every door opened.

What was suprising to me is that I had a psych exam for my disability case. I was actually having a decent day -- not as bad as some, and I was actually worried that I would not seem as bad off as I really am. I recently read my responses and the examiners view and was SHOCKED. Reading my replies I remember saying the stuff but didnt realize that my explanations of my answers didnt really make sense. And while I know that I often get stuck on words since my flare, I didnt realize I did it during my session. It was difficult for me to read negative things about myself because my occupation is based on being good verbally, but on the other hand I was glad that she saw how much I was suffering.
  9. jipsieyes

jipsieyes New Member

A few years ago this was very bad for me (brain fog), and usually accompanied by a tight, pressure feeling in my head, and short electrical-like "zap" sensations in my hips down to my feet, sometimes on one side of my face!) that usually sent me to lay down for relief... I was referred to both a neurologist AND a neuro surgeon, mainly to determine whether I was having TIA (the transient ischemic attacks mentioned in an earlier post) or something else going on... After CSF (NOT CFS, but CSF - cerebral spinal fluid) tests (they draw fluid from your spinal column), it was discovered I had an INCREASED CSF, in both my spinal canal AND around my brain. THEN I was also sent to a doc to check out frequent bouts of CHEST & JAW PAIN, around the same time, where my blood tests showed my oxygen (in the blood) was VERY LOW! A hearth cath was performed to possibly add a stent, to open any compressed artery (which they found was only nominally compressed, so no stent). The neurologist put me on Lasix to help reduce the pressure in my head, and my SISTER, who is a nurse, suggested I "do something" about getting more OXYGEN flow and circulation going, and, since that wasn't going to hurt to try, I started doing the breathing exercises, many times daily, that I was taught several years before during bio-feedback for pain management, in addition to taking a hobble around the yard twice or more a day.
    After a few weeks, and to this day, my spinal CSF levels, although still higheer than they should be, DECREASED, and so did the "puffy head" brain fog I'd been experiencing. Everything there went from a level 7 to, say, a level 3 to 4, for me, enough so that the neur doc took me off the lasix completely after the last CSF draw show the decrease....
    So I'm NOT saying that's the complete ANSWER, but getting more oxygen flowing WILL help alleviate, if only to a small degree (ANY relief is welcome!), the horrible brain fog!
    It's an "automatic" habit with me now, that several times an hour, whenever I think about it, that I pause and take 10 big, deep breaths (in through the nose, out through the mouth -- just like I used to do when working out at the gym!)...
    Hope this helps, even a small bit...

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]