Have your kids had tubes put in their ears?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Just looking for some experienced parents here. My 7 1/2 year old step son has had a double ear infection for months. He has ADHD, and a very high tolerance for pain, so he didn't say anything about his ears hurting until they were both SEVERELY infected. That was about two months ago that we started on the antibiotics.

He is now on his fourth antibiotic & if this one doesn't clear it up, we have one other antibiotic to try. Then, we are told we have no choice but to have tubes put in his ears. I just worry - I'm a mom - I hate to think about one of my kids in surgery - under general anestesia.

I know it is a very common procedure, and not too risky. But, what can I expect once it is done? Based on how he has responded to the antibiotics so far, I would bet that's where we're headed.

Thanks for any insight you might have,

Leanne
  2. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

Two of my children had ear infection after ear infection and in the end they had the tubes put in, and wow what difference that made, they could hear alot better.
    They felt no pain after wards and carried on as normal except they can't get any water in the ear for 2 weeks after the surgery so they had to have baths with cotton wool put at the opening of the ear fo saftey sake.
    I hope that was some help.

Take care
    Tammy

3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My son got them at 2 after many infectios! I now worry about him having been on so many antibiotics back then. He was constantly on them for weeks at a time. I think antibiotics are what made some of us sick. Candida, leaky gut and all that.
    My son did great once he had the tubes. I wouldn't hestitate.
    Good Luck.
  4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

the surgery is painless...no needles....the child is separated from you for about 15 minutes

my two sons have had 5 sets between them....they just had their remaining tube removed because it hadn't fallen out yet and it had been in the ear for quite a while...

what to expect after is no more ear infections that hurt...they may get drainage that is bloody when they have a cold...or it is greenish...then you put in drops for a few days to keepthe tubes from getting clogged up from the drainage...we didn't have to use ear plugs when they went swimming ...some docs recommend that you use them..we never did....

also, you child may hear better which means more success at school....

and best of all, your child won't be taking antibiotics which means when he really needs them for serious illness, they will work...you dont want him to become resistant to the antibitics ....we also, all need to try to limit the use of them because the germs and viruses, infections are becoming stronger and less effected by the antibiotics...

the tubes made our life much more pleasant....the boys aren't sick all the time anymore....it was the best thing we could have done....don't worry...the surgery is a joke...not worth being scared for...you will be glad you did it...
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

my son was playing outside with the neighbor kids the same day he had the tubes put in...there was no keeping him down!!!!!
  6. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Well, I'm feeling a little better about this whole thing now! Thank you for the information. I knew it was minor, but I'm a mom & I'm a worrier, so there you go.

I am ready for him to not be sick anymore - that is for sure.

Thanks again!

Leanne
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

We went through ear tube HE**. My twin daughters both had ear tubes put in when they were 2 1/2.

We have been through at least 7 (maybe more, I've lost count) surgeries to repair the holes left from the ear tubes. Of the 4 ears, 3 had holes left in the eardrums after the tubes fell out-- holes that did NOT self-repair.

They put on patch after patch to plug the holes. Many patches just fell off and did not take. One daughter had to have her entire right eardrum replaced because they were unable to get a patch to stick.

All these surgeries were under general anesthesia. We finally had the last surgery last summer and it was a success. We now finally have 4 intact eardrums.

Now keep in mind that this is an UNUSUAL side effect of ear tubes. Most ear tubes fall out and the holes just seal up on their own. Lucky us, we were in that small percentage that could have eardrum perforations as a possibility.

So for US, I would never have chosen to have ear tubes in the first place. Hindsight being 20-20 and all.

BTW, I've never heard of anyone besides us having this problem. Everyone I have talked to thought ear tubes were the best things since sliced bread. Just not for us.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  8. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

He was about 4 and he got them. Never had another problem with infections after they were put in. I think the anesthetic is short, only minutes to get the tubes in and he woke up perfectly fine. Try not to worry, he will be fine and feeling better without those infections anymore.
    Pattie
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My daughter, Katie, was 18 months when they did hers. She had been sick so much! I should have bought stock in antibiotics and Dimatap!

She had actually lost some hearing before they put the tubes in. She is 29 now and still has to be able to see you or she can't hear you. She reads lips as you talk because so many sounds still aren't clear to her.

I recommend it, it really helped with Katie's ability to speak clearly instead of dropping off the first sylable of words. She would say 'fused instead of confused, things like that.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

The first set was put in when he had tonsils and adenoids removed at age 4. The second set was a couple of years later and have since fallen out. He is currently having more ear trouble, and I am considering that we might have to do this again -- he has hardly any problems with his ears when he has the tubes. He has little eustachian tubes, just like myself (currently w/ear problem that I saw the doctor for today) and my mother, so his ears don't drain very well.

After the second set was put in, he came out of surgery, and we took him out to breakfast to eat pancakes within the hour.

I'm actually wondering if it might not be a good idea for *me* to get tubes.

Anyhow -- good luck with making your decision. I replied because this subject was on my mind...my nephew got tubes yesterday, and his brother gets them next week!
  11. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Leanne,

All three of my boys had tubes put in their ears, my youngest one twice! Actually, he had problems with one of the holes "healing" & "closing" after the tube fell out. It took three surgeries - finally now at the age of 17 (he had tubes put in last at age 7) he has 2 intact eardrums!!

In the long run- I would repeat the whole tube procedure. He needed them placed at the time, as he was constantly having ear infections. Once the tubes were in place, they allowed his ears to drain.

I have a friend who had the procedure done as an adult- so it really is not that uncommon at all. For a child to undergo general anesthesia, it is a pretty safe procedure to undergo. Most ENT's will have your child get medical clearance from his pediatrician/family practioner. There is a simple blood draw before (a few days to a week)the surgery.

This is a same day procedure, usually they schedule the youngest patient first. You should be able to accompany your step son into the OR until he is "under". Then someone will come & get you when he is in recovery. They will not let him leave until he has something to eat, goes to the bathroom & the staff knows he is comfortable (not in pain). He should be ready to go home within an hour or so of you greeting him after surgery.

Most kids bounce back from this procedure rather quickly & are ready to play right away. You need to remember to always keep his ears dry! They sell wax ear plugs that come in bright flourescent colors - easy to see, if they fall out in the pool. Some docs "require" that you purchase custom modeled ear plugs. They make them colorful also, so they are easy to find- however they are on the expensive side.

Best of luck with your step-son Leanne. I hope he is doing well & his ears improve soon!

Patty
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

My son endured countless ear infection during his first year of life... would go 2-3 weeks with 'just fluid' in his ear, then it would develop into an actual infection, he would take the abx and start to settle into sleeping regularly for a few days, then it would start all over again.

Our pediatrician was very good in that he would not give abx unless the fluid sample actually cultured... felt that tubes were way overprescribed, but after a year of this I asked him what was worse, continually going on abx or having tubes put in? He consented on the condition I took my son to a particular ENT and if that MD concurred, it was ok with him. I did, the ENT looked at me as if I/we were all crazy and said definitely do it.

So we did, everybody told us to expect a miracle, but...

then he rolled around all night and still awakened every 1.5 hours or so... I called ENTs office and told them, they told me that children 14 and under can get nightmares from general anesthesia, and these nightmares can last up to 6 weeks!

That is exactly what happened... then he started to sleep for longer periods of time, but since his sleep had been disrupted for about 16 months at that point, it took a few more months for his sleep pattern to establish...

I did not get more than 2 hours of sleep at a time at night for 18 months actually... talk about crazy-making, I didn't know whether I was coming or going many times due to sleep deprivation!

Anyway, I wish we had done it a LOT sooner ...

and just a warning about the anesthesia, they don't warn you about it beforehand cuz it doesn't happen to most kids...

but of course I'd have done it anyway even knowing what would happen!

All the best,
    Victoria

PS my son did not have ANYmore ear infections after that, and the tubes had fallen out on their own by age 4.

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2006]
  13. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I was an incredibly healthy kid - no measles, chicken pox and mump only on side. When I went to college, I went nuts with the freedom and did not take care of myself. I had my tonsils out at 21 and ear tubes inserted at 22 or 23 due to ear infections. I remember it as if it was last year not 20 years ago.

Because I was an adult they did not an use general anesthia, but instead numbed my ear canal with a cotton ball soaked with the local. It was painless but a wierd experience because I could hear it all. I also remember when they fell out.

The biggest pain in the whole situation is not being able to get my ears wet and as gross as this sounds, ear wax would build up around the tube. The tubes are so tiny.

So that was my experience...good luck with your son.
    Nancy