Having a Bad Day - Storm Left Us Without Electric for 16 Hours

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. JLH

    JLH New Member

    We got the tail end of the tornado that hit Indiana. The severe winds went through our area and knocked down an electric pole that left us without electric for over 16 hours yesterday.

    Sitting around all evening in the damp house (our heat is electric) really played a number on all my arthritic joints.

    The damp cold weather also plays with my muscles and bones (fibro? my lupus?).

    Anyway, I laid in my bed all night, awake, hurting like heck, and couldn't use my CPAP or oxygen. I was having a hard time breathing, my chest was hurting, and all my bones, joints, and muscles were crying in pain.

    Our electric finally came on at 5 am. The furnace gradually heated up the damp house, thank goodness, and I turned on my CPAP and oxygen and finally got to sleep.

    So today, after a few hours sleep, my husband woke me up when he left for work at 8 am and told me to get up because he had workers coming to the house to paint our big white picket fence that goes around our property.

    To I really feel like crap today--no other word for it--even if it's a little gross!

    I've taken a Lortab this afternoon, but it doesn't even touch the level of pain.

    My back is also bothering me--the pinched nerve.

    I don't know how I will ever sleep tonight either. Have you ever been in so much pain that you can't even think about laying down in bed? I tried to sleep in my recliner last night because I couldn't stand to lay down in bed--too much pain.

    Sorry to vent -- I just had to tell somebody how badly I feel today .... because my husband is the only other person in the house, and he doesn't care!!

    Gotta go and try to fix him something to eat -- and it's going to be simple!!

    Love you all,
  2. dononagin

    dononagin New Member

    you have had quite an ordeal! Hope you get feeling better soon.. I spend quite a few nights on the recliner or couch too as it's easier on my hips.. hope you get some rest..
  3. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Yes, I thought it was too late in the year for tornados, but the one that just went through Indiana caused sooooooo much damage and there we so many deaths. So sad.

    We were fortunate to get just the wind from it.

  4. stinker56

    stinker56 New Member

    I live near the Tennessee/Kentucky border in middle Tennessee and we got a lot of heavy rain and wind but not severe storms here. Glad to hear they got your power back on. My mom and dad, when they were still living, had to be on oxygen and the electric company had their name and address on a list of homes that had to have electricity for health purposes and they tried to restore power ASAP. Does your electric dept. not have something lile this? With you needing your CPAP and oxygen seems like you should be on high priority as I am sure others in your area are too. Maybe that is something you should look into. As for your husband, seems like a lot of husbands think this DD is not as serious as it is. I believe I would let him fix his own meal. Don't mean to sound harsh but sometimes we push ourselves too much for people that just don't understand and I am sure after the trauma you have just been thru, you really didn't feel like cooking.
    Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Glad you are okay now and hope you are soon feeling better.
  5. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    Sorry to hear you lost your electricity for 16 hours. The longest we have gone is during Hurricane Isabel and 22 hours on a hot night/day with no AC. Hubby was running a generator so we had a fan, but it was so very hot, so I know how you feel.

    A few nights recently we slept with the windows opened as we had nice weather, but it was sort of cold at night.

    When I stay up late like this, often times when I go to bed around 2 or 3 AM, I can't sleep unless I eat something. Sometimes it is after 5 AM when I get to sleep.

    Last night I watched the football game, then went to bed and slept fine and woke up at 11 AM and felt really like I had gotten a good sleep. That is rare for me...

    Once I get on here, I can't get off. So, lately I have not been on here much at night, except for tonight I was drinking a Diet Coke and stayed up to see part of the news and then came in here to get my meds and thought I'd be on the computer for just an hour and it has been 3 hours so far. :(

    I'm sorry your house was damp. Our doesn't get damp much because we are sort of on a small hill like. Dampness doesn't bother me it is the dryness from the heat that bothers my sinuses and we have the humidifier set up finally.

    Tomorrow is supposed to be 79. lol Then it will get cooler and in the 50's on Friday.

    Yeah, I've been in so much pain I couldn't sleep. My problem with Lortabs is they keep me awake and give me energy. So, I really can't take them at night.

    I hate getting up prior to 11 AM, so I know how you felt. Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight. I hope to be in bed by 3 AM.

    Big hugs,
    I answered that one post you put on the board again, but I don't know if you ever saw my reply?

[ advertisement ]