Having a crash??? suffering major panic attacks!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by autumn_rain, Nov 16, 2010.

1. autumn_rain

autumn_rain New Member

Hi all, I think Im having a crash or something and its really freaking me out!

When I first got sick 16years ago when I was 9years old. I got incredibly aggrophobic (SP??!). Ive suffered for years from crippling panic attacks which come in fits and starts. But I can feel all this coming back. Im getting more frequent panic attacks at much higher intensity, and getting them thinking about going out, anywhere even nice places like friends ect.

Do any of you guys suffer from this sort of thing?? Do you have any ideas on how I can combat all this?? Im terrified that Im getting ill again. Let alone anything else, I cant afford to get that ill again! Iv fought soooo hard to get to this stage in life and I dont want to loose all that again :S

Thanks in advance for any help :)
  2. lisadot

lisadot New Member

How ironic, but sad...I have had two of these at night over the past week - and previously not for years. They are awful!!! Agoraphobia can be so disabling!

If you are having these attacks more often, I highly suggest you get to a doctor or therapist for some help. The feeling of adrenaline rushes for no good reason are awful! The heart racing, the shaking, the trouble catching your breath. They are exhausting!!!

You might need some meds to help you with this - at least until you learn ways to cope with, and reduce the impact these attacks have on your life.

I've been taking Xanax at night if I need to,just to settle myself down. I get far too anxious about pending medical issues, and cannot calm myself down. I hate it. I feel like the little kid I used to be who wasn't coached at all to get through life's *stuff*.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

The darn panic, agoraphobia, anxiety, depression is worse than the cfs.. Every time I crash which is getting more frequent then the horrible anxiety finds me. I will spend days in bed crying.
    I am usually 5 days in bed and 2 out seems to be my pattern these days.

I had my vitamin b12 checked and it was very low so not sure if the b12 will help with what I call "nerves" or not.

Its misery and I wish I could offer you some cure but all I can do is relate to how you feel.. I do take xanax which really helps with the panic but I still have the agoraphobia , anxiety and a feeling that I can't really describe, except its horrible.

I didn't want to take meds but did and I take them daily usually 3 to 4 a day , 1/4 to 1/2mg..

To make and keep an appointment is misery for me..

Go to your doctor and try an anti-anxiety drug. I tried the antidepressants but couldn't tolerate the side effects.. So sorry you have this feeling..

Keep us posted, hugs,
  4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have a terrible time talking myself into leaving the house. I don't have an anxiety attack but I fret over having to leave all day. I rest all day and count down the hours before I have to start to get ready....then i count down the minutes....it is pure misery....i have canceled so many appointments because i can't stand the thought of getting up and leaving...i just want to stay where it is quiet and cozy...

i hate taking anti depressants because of the side effects but taking them helps this problem for me....i used to take them.....

something that helps me is taking an over the counter stimulant....like a vivarin or jet alert pill...they are equal to 2 cups of coffee, caffeinewise....they give me the energy to get up, they reduce my pain, and they last about 2-3 hours.....just right for a short appointment....

in the summer, when i want to get up and spend the afternoon sitting by the pool with my family, i will take a phentermine....it is an RX that is a diet pill....my doc gave it to me to help me lose the weight i gained from taking cymbalta....it was a pleasant surprise to discover that it helped with my pain , gave me energy , and made me feel happy and motivated....it lasts about 12 hours....it is like a miracle drug...the drawback is that i can hurt myself by overdoing it....i don't feel too tired and sore until it is too late and the damage is done so i have to be careful with it....the crash can be bad when it wears off....but it is soooo worth it if i want to do something! I build up a tolerance for it, if I take it everyday for a few weeks....so i just save it for special things....

oh, and i will take the phentermine or the jet alert, and lay in my bed waiting for it to kick in....and when it does, i just start to feel happier and actually WANT to get up and go somewhere....so that is my trick...just don't try it unless your doc says it is okay....i am guessing some people may not be able to handle caffeine if they have high blood pressure???

I totally feel your pain, autumn....we all do....i don't even want to talk on the phone anymore!!!
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

If I were you, I would get evaluated for bartonella infection.

It is associated with anxiety and panic attacks among other symptoms.

It is spread by cats and ticks.

see info on pages 24 and 26 of this paper:

6. jole

jole Member

and to say I definitely understand the loss that comes with being a prisioner in your own home. I remember years ago thinking there was no reason whatsoever for anyone to say they 'couldn't' leave their home. Well, I now know differently. Some days I can; some days I can't no matter how hard I try. I think mine may be more of a social phobia, because it seems to be more of a fear of people than it is of actually leaving my house.

Xanax does indeed help me with the panic attacks though, and as Pink said, I also take one every night to shut down my brain or I wouldn't ever sleep or rest at all. You might consider getting your Vit D level checked to make sure it's not too low......doesn't necessarily cause panic/anxiety per se, but does cause me to want to 'hibernate' more in the winter, and many of us are extremely low on Vit D. My doc was suprised at this. Hugs......Jole
  7. coolma

coolma New Member

My sister suffers severe agrophbia. She let it go on and on and it got alot worse. This is a definite mental/physical illness, do not be ashamed of it. But there are treatments by a good medical provider and there are also medications you can take to ease the anxiety. This mental issue WILL cause physical symptoms which are real....sweats, heart racing, fear. Nip it in the bud and get the help you need before the physical symptoms take over. Good luck!
  8. autumn_rain

autumn_rain New Member

Thanks everyone, its nice to know that Im not alone as per usual! I suffered severe agorophobia wen i was younger due to all the physical illness (thought proccess, of if youre sick ur supposed to stay at home!). I just dont want to go down that route again. Iv spent many years in and out of physc stuff and im hesitant to go back, because i know how hard it is! but ill prob look into it!

i already take a very low dose sleeping tablet so i wouldnt want to add any more drugs to that, but thanks for all the advice :) its very much appreciated! xx