Having all my teeth pulled anyone been thru this already

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi all, Next month I am travelling to my daughter's
    house in PA and having all of my teeth pulled to have dentures.

This is something I HAVE to do. Chemo treatment 10 years ago really did a number on my already suffering teeth.

I broke a front tooth out a year ago and now the only thing that is left is the base in my gum. I have two broken teeth on the bottom in the back and my chewing is limited.

Has any one with Fibro or CFS have done this. I am going to my daughters because she is having carpel tunnel surgery and some dental surgery too. She is having 5 titatium screws for implants put in. Poor thing got my bad teeth. We have soft teeth and no amount of flossing and brushing can help

She will be off work for 2 weeks that way I will not be alone afer my dental procedure. My 15 year old grandaughter will help care for us.

The place I am going is a national chain and has a office here and PA. So I can transfer back down here to finish my final fittings, problems, etc.

I would like to hear all stories good and bad. I am not looking forward this, but I have been feeling better and don't want to go back into another flare. Thanks-Carla
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Oh, you will be in my prayers! I have no experience with it, but do have some pretty advanced peridontal disease that we are trying to get under control.

I will pray for you and your daughter.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear CKBall:

Just a warning...if you have osteoperosis, you might think long and hard about having your uppers completely removed. My mom had this done 7+ years ago (at age 60) and suddenly lost most of the bone in her face. She ended up having to have VERY expensive implants done, she had to take medication for the osteo, which most likely sped up her kidney failure.

My suggestion is to have a bone density test PRIOR to having the teeth all removed.

Good luck to you.

Ingrid
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Get the oral surgeon to premedicate you and tell them ahead of time that you have a really low pain threshold.

I had a root canal done this year with fibro. just before I was dx'd and it hurt like heck.

I needed about 3x the normal amounts of novacaine and the heavy duty pain meds for about 2x the normal length of time - now I know why, but I sure was clueless then!!!

I hope everything goes smoothly - are you sure you want them all out? I would definitely get the broken ones removed - nothing you can do about those if they are broken down to the jaw bone and that could make you vulnerable to infection, but for the others, I would keep what I could for as long as possible - because of the bone loss issue.

My upper back teeth are now in jepoardy because I was born without upper wisdom teeth - after my last upper molars, my jawbone drops off like a waterslide. It's going to be a maintenance struggle for me to keep my upper teeth.

My mom has the soft teeth curse also. She has 12 crowns, one removed and counting. Her best friend has had 20 implants (something like 30K worth of dental work).

Best wishes and hope all goes well!
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Sending you a big hug; good luck with this procedure.
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

Greenbean- thank you for your prayers- I think I will need them

Kirschbaum- I have a bone density test every year because I went thru menopause at 40 when I had cancer. I take prempro. But I do worry about only being 50, if I live 10-15 years I will have to have another set because the bone will change over time

mmecurie- Yes, yes and another yes. I am paying extra to have sedation. I do not want to be awake at all. When I broke the front tooth, the upper one beside the center,
    I looked into a bridge and implants. I can't do a bridge because of the softness of the teeth. Also all of my teeth are rotting around the area of the fillings.

I can not afford to put $10,000-15,000 for dental work, this is a minimum to fix all my problems. I have 2 that are broken down to the gum line. My front center tooth beside the one missing is badly decayed on the back, only the front looks fine. One wrong bite and that one is gone too.

I have put this off for a long time, but because my daughter will be able to care for me is the only reason I am finally doing this. I am lucky I have not had any infections from the ones broken off at the gum line. The only pain is my front tooth has becaome sensitive to cold.

I am going to keep this bumped until I find someone has actually done this.

Smiffy thanks for the hug :)
    Thanks-Carla
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear CKBALL:

Just wanted to tell you that my mother did NOT have osteoperosis until she had her uppers removed. The bone loss was accelerated, and actually having the implants (VERY EXPENSIVE more than $25,000) done was the only way to get the bone to re-grow. She actually has 4 implants in the top and then a denture than snaps into it.

Just wanted to make sure you understood that removing teeth CAUSES accellerated bone loss in the area.

Ingrid
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

yes i"ve had upper & lower pulled.my teeth were so bad I was afraid they would affect my heart.
    both my plates fit good and I have no problem, I was really scared about it.
    I had novacain and thats all, my oral surgeon was great.and so was his staff.
    they take alittle time to learn how to eat with them,
    I took advil for the pain after. Good luck .
    sixtyslady
  9. darude

darude New Member

I'm about to go thru this also. I need an upper denture and we are trying to save the bottom ones. I 'm going under general as I had a reaction Last week and ended up in ER.
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

My sister, who has MS, just had to have her bottom teeth removed. She had the uppers taken out a few months ago. She had been absolutely dreading the experience, but it was not the horrible ordeal she expected and the new teeth are fine. She's a happy camper.
  11. krayon

krayon New Member

I have FM and my teeth were in really bad shape.

I went in and talked to the Dentist about my condition and my fears (SCARED OF DENTISTS). I told him I did not want to hear or feel a thing. He prescribed me pain meds and another pill to take 1 hour before I arrived for procedure.

It worked I was awake during the whole thing but so calmed that I did not care what he did. Had 28 teeth took out most pulled...several surgically ramoved (11).

I don't remember hardly any of it and what I do remember is that I really was trying to carry a convo with them so...

I had Immediate Dentures put in and have done fine with them and go back in afew monthes for my "real" teeth.

Was not as bad as I thought...there is pain but nothing that could not be delt with.

But as for the bone lost I have no idea. Just wanted to give my experience.

hugs
    ~*Karen*~

12. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi Carla
    Sorry to hear about that.... I had upper dentures put in- had some teeth pulled on top and waited for different insurance than had the rest done- they put the dentures in right away(didn't want to walk around with no teeth) - I had an interview 3 days after had that done(mouth still a little swollen) - got the job and started right away- had to kind of stand in the mirror and talk again- my job was customer service where I was on the phone all day- You will like your new teeth- takes sometime to het used too though-

Best of Luck to you- they do wonders now days
    Janet
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

because my teeth are shot! Almost all the rear ones have broken off at the gum line, they always rot at that area. I have an eye tooth just about ready to go with any pressure. I have some left that don't seem to have cavities but all are looseish. A word?

I have severe chronic asthma so can't take any sort of knock out drug or I might not get off the respirator..several doctors have told me that. For a pulling it always takes at least 13 shots, they don't believe me and I can still feel it.

I take pain meds also so who knows how much pain medication it would take to keep it from being really painful during and after. I knowit has to be done and I am afraid of infection as it is. My pain medication "just" keeps me enough out of pain to be able to function and do the things I need to do but I have been taking them for several years. Haven't changed dose since May of 2003 though so it is the right dose for me.

We do have insurance but I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on. I can't imagine the expense we'll have as my husband's teeth are just as bad and he's been advised to get it done also as he has Diabetes 2. UGH!

I REALLY feel for you. I only know two people who have had the permanent
    teeth done and both had really bad times with infections. I don't want to scare you but it's something you need to consider. I'm sure you are dealing with an oral surgeon so I'm sure they have all this in mind and it will go fine!! Good luck! Bambi
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

I wish you the best of luck on your dental work. I have no experience in this, but I have had a lot of dental work done over the years--crowns, bridges, root canals, many fillings, etc.

My sister has dentures and had to have her teeth pulled 10 at a time--for some reason due to Medicaid. She was not given any anathesia other than the regular novacaine. I took her and felt sooooooo sorry for her. Then she had to wait for her gums to heal up before she could get her teeth. Her dentist in Portsmouth sent her to somebody in Ironton to do all of the pulling and to make her dentures. It was a nightmare for her.

When my oldest brother was in high school, he had to have all of his upper teeth pulled due to some virus that he had. He was put in the hospital and it was done under a general anethesic. But this was decades ago!!

Hopefully, you will return telling us everything went fine!! I hope!!

Hugs,
    jlh
  15. spacee

spacee Member

My grandmother had uppers and lowers in her 60's or so and lived to be 93. Yes, the last few years she had some back problems but not before.

Wonder, if it effects some but not all, is all.

Spacee
  16. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I am sorry so many of you have had to go threw this.I know I will be fine and have pain meds, I may call my GP and ask for something extra in case I have a problem getting meds out of town.

4ever- I do not not want the Ross Geller look either,lol. I loved your response about the lampshade. I think I will go to a ivory shade as well.

I am also getting the kind you wear home that day and go back in 6-12 months to get the final set.

I really appreciate everyone taking time to respond. I won't be on the board too much in the next few weeks. I am trying to tie up loose ends and orgainzing after the remodel before I go out of town. I am sanding floors in the last bedroom and it has taken me 3 times as long as I planned.

But then I take a break and sit to rest and always have my laptop on and the next thing I know an hour or two has gone by!

Thanks again for all you advice, this board really does mean the world to me. Carla