Having anxiety attack any tips??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 9, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

You won't believe this one.....I am having an anxiety attack cuz there are a bunch of flies in my house and I can't find the fly swatter. Called my daughter crying.....Anyone have any tricks or tips to get thru this kinda stuff?????Mick!!
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

and breathe. Try to relax and take deep breaths. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing. I know this is soo hard to do when you are having an attack but just try. I am definitely no stranger to those especially lately. You know what also helps me...getting on this board. I tell you it helps distract you and calm you down when you are posting or reading this board. So just try to relax and read and post and do breathing exercises. Also keep reminding yourself that even though it is scarry in the moment that it is just an anxiety attack and it will pass and you will be ok.

That is all I have unfortunately. Hope it helps and hope you feel better soon!

Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2006]
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

Mick:

BREATHE..... Slow down remmeber an anxiety attack is only your sympathetic nervous system doing its flight or fight thing.

Sit in a chair with both feey on the floor (helps you feel grounded) hands on your thighs, grounded again, talking to yourslf say breathe, breathe in slowly through your nose and count to 5 exhale out slowly..... do this until your pulse slows and you aren't trembling... your brain needs the O2. Try to picture something in your head, mountains, beach pretty leaves. if you have a pet try petting it. This will bring your blood pressure down.

Remeber this is just a stres reaction... Don't worry about the flys or swatter. Put on some soft gentle music and contine to do the relaxation breathing for about 20 minutes. If you find yourself Whatifing....Picture a STOP sign and start the breathing/relaxation process again.

I bet you will feel better soon.

Suz45
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2006]
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I think I feel a llittle better now but I just want to cry....I am not one to do this harly ever but today it just won't go away....reading posts does help...trying to get my mind off stupid things....Thanks for your help....I love you all....~~HUGS~~Mick!!
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Be sure to control allergy. Have you eaten or exposed yourself to anything you are allergic to? When we produce histamine, the body uses Adrenalin to clear the Histamine. Adrenalin by itself is not useful and makes us feel like crap. So, if you can exercise, that would help use up Adrenalin, and possibly an Antihistamine might help too. A heft dose of an anti-inflammatory (aspirin or ibuprofen) might help too. Hope something here can help.
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

if your getting panic attacks with any frequency please see a dr. there are many meds and effective treatments for this, you don't need to feel this way. i am totally sympathetic to this as i have had this problem and i understand how awful these truly feel.

i take xanax for them once an attack begins and it does wonders, but there is still that time between taking it and it actually working that i have to get through. i have found meditating to be very effective. if my husband is around he actually leads me through a guided meditation which works even better because it helps to maintain my focus when that is a really difficult thing to do. the other thing i have found to be very helpful is to exercise at the time it starts, the physical activity seems to help my symptoms.

i hope this helps and you begin feeling better soon!

rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2006]
  7. LCasey

LCasey New Member

It's always good to make sure to let your doctor know that you are having anxiety to the point it makes you light headed as though you are going to pass out. Xanax is a great med, but you need to know your body well enough that as soon as you feel that chill crawl up the back to go ahead and take it so that it takes affect before the anxiety gets a hold on you. I go outside and sit on my back porch, head between my knees and just breath. If you can lean your upper body over (stretch) it is easier for your lungs to expand (this is from a therapist's point of view) and it does work. Count nice slow breaths until you start to feel better and your meds should kick in and take care of the situation.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fieldmouse:

I always keep some Klonopin at hand. It is used for panic disorder and seizures (very specifically).

I am not saying it is for you, but you might want to look into it.

Just a suggestion.

nyrofan
  9. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Now it is the next day and I feel really stupid for getting so upset over flies in my house. My family was really worried about me. My son-n-law brought me two new fly swatters. Now I am in control of those nasty little critters...LOL....anyway, thanks to everyone for all your help...~~HUGS~~Mick!!
  10. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

My house is full of those asian ladybugs, and honestly i think i would take nasty flies over the bugs.

I always get emotional and cry after a bad anxiety attack, i just let myself, i feel like it releases all those feelings.

And Breath, like others said.

The rapid heart beat is probable my least liked symptom.
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

this is a homeopathic flower remedy. Very harmless, won't interact w/ meds, you use a tiny amount, for me its only one drop and lo, it works. I'm going through SAD and I get all manner of acute feelings w/ it, but the Rescue Remedy seems to take the edge off quickly and I feel normal not dopey.

You could assess your meds and see if any of them could be causing unusual anxiety for you, since you said this was unusual for you. FM causes adrenaline rushes though, no doubt and our body can react to them in various ways.

Jean ne
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

We actually do have flies on top of the lady beetles, being out in the country w/ cows farms around us. Puts a damper on the nice little October warmup we had, becasue the bugs love the sun too and they just invade.

What takes care of the lady beetles quicker than anything, w/out chemicals, is though ugly fly stickers. They are gross, but nontoxic and they work like aces. Don't know what we would have done otherwise,as Im chemically sensitive.

Jeanne