Having Big Time Herx

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm getting my root canal done this afternoon and have been on ABX for more than 3 weeks ever since my dentist appt. when the tooth became abcessed. I've been taking the Doxycycline to help control the infection in the tooth and to help prevent my chronic mycoplasma infection from trying to reactivate.

For several days, I've had optical migraines and yesterday, I was very fatigued and had a headache--all precursors of a Herx. This morning right after breakfast, I had severe vomiting and diarrhea. I am feeling much better after a couple of trips to the bathroom. I'll probably continue on the Doxy for a few days following the procedure just to make sure the infection is gone. I'm glad there has been a big dieoff of whatever bacteria has been making me feel so sick. I always feel better after a Herx. I just hope I start to feel better once the root canal is done.

It's been six months of being sick, between this tooth and my gallbladder. I'm ready to get back to feeling better like I was before all this happened. I'll let y'all know how the root canal goes.

Love, Mikie
  2. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

So sorry you are feeling so lousy. I hate having dental work done, I feel like crap for a week!

Best of luck to you today. I'll pray for you to be back to your good old self again very soon.

(((hugs)))
    Lynna

I've got some ABX questions to ask you but I'll wait a few days till you are feeling better.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry, I thought that since we hadn't heard from you that you must be doing better.

Hopefully this will pass soon and you can enjoy the holidays.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate the prayers and concern. Actually, I've just been waiting for this appt. and trying to keep the infection under control. I've felt really sick and fatigued. I'm actually looking forward to getting this root canal done so I can, hopefully, get better.

Lynn, ask away about the ABX. I come here as often as I can just to get my mind off of it. It helps me to stay engaged. I'm losing my mind for wanting to do things and not feeling up to it. I've been missing a lot.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Wow, you really do herx hard. I hope that you get past it soon. It certainly is time for you to get back to where you were before.

Feel better!
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Good luck with everything, Mikie!

I hope you feel better after this.

Love,
    Forebearance
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I was wondering about you because I hadn't seen your name much on the board. You are in my prayers. I hope this, too, shall pass for you.

Love,
    CherylSue
  8. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I am so very sorry !!! I hope and pray you will start to feel better soon. I will be thinking of you and watching for your updates.

I know after 6 months you have to be just sick and tired of all of this. Hopefully this good ole hard herx will leave you feeling like a new person in the end.

Please keep us posted. Love,Debbie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks so much for all your wonderful support and prayers.

The root canal went great; he's a really good endodontist. My mouth is a little sore but that's to be expected. He told me to go off the Doxy and take Amoxicilin for ten days to get rid of the swelling/abcess in the gum. It's gotten pretty big while I've been waiting for this appt. I guess the Doxy isn't the best med for abcessed teeth but I was really taking it so my chronic mycoplasma infection wouldn't reactivate. Judging by the Herx, something got killed off big time.

I had some roasted chicken breast and a little pudding for dinner with no problems, so I really think the worst is over. I hope this is the end of the infection and inflammation and that I can get back to healing. Geez, I was doing so well. This is a good example of how some things can make us sick which are not related to our FMS/CFIDS. If I had not been so persistent, I might have just chalked my feeling so lousy up to the chronic fatigue.

I'll let y'all know how I'm feeling. As sore as my mouth is, and the gum is still swollen, I could swear I felt better this afternoon. Probably just relief at having it over with. The mind is powerful medicine. I only have half a mind so I guess I'm only getting half a dose :)

Thanks again, everyone, and God bless you for your kindness.

Love, Mikie
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm so glad your appointment went well. And isn't it nice that it's over! And you are eating chicken already, a very good sign.

Hope you continue to improve as the days go by!!!!
  11. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm so glad it's over. I've been there and I know the feeling. Perhaps now, finally, you can really begin to feel better. Just in time for Christmas!

Take care of yourself and I'm sending you good thoughts
    Kathy
  12. jole

jole Member

You have always been special to me because when I first started on this board you were the one I looked up to for answers.

I hate seeing you feel bad, so hope this is short lived, and you continue to improve full speed ahead!!
  13. connieaag

connieaag New Member

Take care of yourself!

Conie
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mikie:

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know how rough these dental things are.

You take good care and rest.

nyrofan
  15. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time! Dental infections can be quite rough on the body. I'm glad you're starting to mend a little. Be sure to dose up on probiotics, especially because of the all antibiotics you've been taking. I've been told to take probiotics a few hours after antibiotics, so that the antibiotics don't kill all the probiotics.

I hope you feel well by Christmas!

Happy holidays --

Mary
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

Glad you are on the mend after reading thru all you've been thru!!! Dental infections are no fun and it's amazing at all the ills it can cause... have a friend who has FM who thought she was relapsing big-time for over a month, when come to find out she had an infected tooth... she is feeling SO much better now that it is out and done with.

I do have a question for you... if you feel that the abx are causing a herx, why would you not pulse it in regular cycles until, hopefully, it disappears? That seems to be the basic strategy at least for lyme, and I don't know anything about mycoplasma and how it's treated... but if you can take these abx and it seems to be killing the myco or whatever, I'm puzzled as to why you wouldn't continue?

We may have our house sold... ironically, I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad, I had come to the conclusion we were going to stay put, as contract is up Jan 2 ... but, it's not a 'done deal' yet, we may be staying put anyway. I have given up control to the universe LOL!

all the best,
    Victoria

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I did pulse my ABX when I was still trying to get the mycoplasma infection under control. Mycoplasma infections, like Lyme, can reactivate from cysts deep inside the body. I always have the Doxy on hand in case I think the mycos are trying to reactivate. I usually start to run a low-grade fever. I take the Doxy for a while and then stop. If the fever comes back, I go back on the Doxy. Normally, I no longer need the Doxy, but nothing has been normal for a while.

I've been off and on for the last six months when my gb, and probably this tooth too, started to make me sick. I started running the fevers.

When I saw the endodontist, he asked if I were on an ABX. He suggested I switch to the Amoxicilin because it's more effective for infected teeth. I will take it for 10 days and then I'm done as long as the abcess is gone.

My guess is that I was having a Herx from dead mycos and then Herxed again right away as the Amoxicilin killed the bacteria from the tooth.

I hope this makes sense. I'm pretty tired.

I understand how you might have mixed feelings about selling. I would too if I were to sell. The market is still in the toilet down here. New permits are way down but a lot of people are still expected to move into the state, especially where I live. I would think that if we have a mild hurricane season in 2007, prices will go back up.

I think things happen as they are supposed to. I love where I live and am happy here. I do miss seeing Andy more often as he is growing up so fast. Still, they aren't that far away and will free passes to fly, we do get to see one another fairly often.

Good luck. Where will you be moving to?

Love, Mikie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The tooth is feeling better by the day and so am I. Thanks so much for all you caring concern. I'm still tired but that's to be expected.

Hoping everyone has a healthy holiday season. I also hope the coming year brings us all better things.

Love, Mikie
  19. victoria

victoria New Member

Yes, all of that makes perfect sense... I thought myco did the same as the lyme, but couldn't recall well enough what you'd done before and/or why.

If this deal goes thru, we will be staying in the area because of our son and MIL; even if our son was well, my MIL is too difficult to move now due to severe dementia. If both situations were different, we'd still be interested in moving to Mexico, but, maybe in a few years!?!

As far as looking at houses here tho, I've done nothing more than look at the RE guide and mark some, but that's it... no point going further until I get a firm contract. It does seem to be a buyer's market here as well, the one good thing in our favor if we do move.

I do really love where we live, and especially exactly where we are because we are isolated - altho I've never liked the house actually lol, just the land and setting and location...

lol the funny thing is the possible buyer has a business growing "indigenous weeds" to rehab areas that've been farmed or cut, and wants to use the land for nurseries since we have a bit of all habitats from wetlands on up.

If we move, I am hoping we can find similar privacy but with less acreage and a nicer (to me) house... we can live anywhere in the area now, unlike when we were working.

OK - now I'm hoping that makes sense, not sure that it does lolol! been rambling on here...

Glad you are getting better 'n better!
    Victoria

20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

So glad you're doing better!!!