Having Knee Surgery On The 21st

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

After finishing my guest bath, I had a lot of cleaning up to do. This included shampooing my carpeting. There was a lot of ground-in soil in the high traffic areas. Afterward, my left knee was hurting so bad it had my teeth on edge. I had to work six hours the next day and it was killing me. I worked only four hours yesterday and wore my knee brace from when I had a bad right knee. It hurt but was better. Today, I saw the orthopedist and he scheduled arthroscopy for the 21st. I will have my MRI on Wed. but regardless of what it shows, or doesn't show, he will scope the knee because of the pain. He did a steroid injection in it today. He suspects a torn meniscus, like the other one. I don't remember a specific injury but it's been hurting off and on.

The right knee was very successful so I suspect this one will be too. I actually walked out of the surgical center last time. I have a friend picking me up.

Because my guest bath turned out so well (it's gorgeous) I've decided to do a new sink/granite vanity top in my master bath and paint the vanity black. I've already done the towel bars and light fixture and repaired the drywall, so it won't be nearly as much work as the guest bath was. Thing is that I think I had better get it done before the surgery or it will have to wait until the knee is healed.

When I got up this morning, the floor in the kitchen had water all over it. It wasn't flooded but it was a mess. I had a bad plumbing job on a water filter and one of the connectors has stripped out threads. Lowe's doesn't carry the part, so I'll either have to call a plumber or find another part at a specialty store. I have a couple of frozen valves in my plumbing so I kinda think I'll find a plumber. It's always something and it seems to always happen at the same time.

I'm taking a week off to recouperate from my surgery and, other than rehab, I think I'll just take it easy. I prefer the uncomplicated life. If only I could stop complicating it :)

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good luck with your surgery. Used to have lots of cases involving the
    medial meniscus. The surgeries were usually successful.

Love your last sentence. (Smiling out loud.)

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Bless you........this might be a sign to slow down a bit???

You know how important it is to pace ourselves....and although I'm so happy you've been feeling better and made such strides to be able to do what you're doing.....don't forget we can flare.

Please, consider this a nice break, the bathroom will be there after the surgery too.

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I will be praying for you for a successful surgery and a fast recooperation so you can get back to work on your renovations. It sounds beautiful.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys are great! I appreciate all your good wishes and prayers.

I had a buddy lined up to pick me up after the surgery but my daughter told me she's planning to come down. The only question is whether she'll bring Andy with her. She would like to get away for a bit, just the two of us. My SIL is busy trying to trade flights so he can stay home with Andy. If not, she'll bring him down with her and I'll enjoy him.

I expect this surgery to be as easy and successful as the last one. This group of docs is known as the best orthos in the area. It's the best surgical center I've ever been in.

Thanks again, everyone.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Well at least you know you have a good doctor(s), that's more than 1/2 the battle. Good luck with your surgery and your time 'off'! It can be hard to NOT do things, so take it easy!

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is hard. My daughter will be coming down. She may come by herself or bring Andy. Either way, it will be healing.

Love, Mikie
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

May God bless you as you have your surgery and and may your healing go well and quickly for you.

Glad your daughter will be coming down to help. You surely need a break now to rest, but you can do without the surgery to do that :) ! . Oh well, if you need it you need it though (the surgery), that is :) !!

We'll all be thinking about you.

[This Message was Edited on 07/08/2009]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your good wishes. If this goes like the other one, it'll be a piece of cake. I'm getting ready to go in and start the demo on the master bath so it'll be done before the surgery. Then, I won't be tempted to overdo it with the knee and mess up the rehab after surgery.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sorry about your knee surgery! Sending you some virtual cake so that the surgery goes smoothly.

I think you have been bitten by the home improvement bug! And it's no wonder since you are so good at it. You are welcome to come to my house next. ;-) Will write more later when I come up for air a little. The trip was great, but I'm pooped.

As everyone has said, don't overdo it! Sending good thoughts and prayers to you my Florida friend.

Love, Erika
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, you do need to rest up following your trip. Sometimes, I can feel OK after some event, only to have it hammer me down the road. Yesterday, I hit the wall and crashed later in the day. I went to bed at 8:00 and was asleep before my head hit the pillow. I woke up at 11:00 and took my Klonopin instead of at 9:00. I woke up a bit groggy but forced myself to finish the bath. I've cleaned up most of the mess and can rest for the remainder of the day.

Thanks for the "cake" and for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. I keep you in mine as well.

Love, Mikie
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

How are you? I hope you are feeling well and not overdoing it. I'm so glad your daughter will be with you while you are having your surgery and that you have the best orthos in town performing it. That's very reassuring. I'm glad you are enjoying your home improvement projects. It sounds like a fun outlet for you, and the snags along the way can be interesting problem-solving situations (maybe that puts a positive spin on the snafus; I know sometimes they are frustrating)

Things have been just nutty nutso since coming back from the trip. Too busy and not enough time. Still playing catch up on sleep and down-time while trying to balance having extra things to do like unpack and re-organize and now getting ready for my hubby's birthday and wanting it to be special for him, if that makes any sense. He usually picks up extra chores I can't do while working tons of hours, so I'm trying to arrange it so that he doesn't have to do that (even though I still do a lot---we both just do a lot actually). The combo of needing extra relaxation/downtime and doing more then usual just do not go together! I'm making progress though on both fronts though, so that's good. Hopefully next week will be back to normal. A break in our crazy heat would be nice too. I'm having a big glass of wine, aren't I? ;-)

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers as always. Feel good. Talk to you soon.

Love, Erika
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it's always a balancing act. If we have extra things to do, it upsets the apple cart. If we keep pushing, we get tired and it's even more difficult to get things done.

I had planned on cleaning the condo after work today but I got sick just as my shift began. It was only four hours, so I toughed it out but I've spent the rest of the day in bed. It felt like a stomach bug and sure enough, I found that half the store has had it. The good news is that it appears to only last a day. It's always something.

I can clean tomorrow; there's not much which needs doing. J.T. and Andy come in on Mon., the surgery is on Tues., and I got tickets for "Thomas and Friends" live on stage for the Wed. matinee. If I am not up to going, she can take him and give my ticket away.

Please take care and don't overdo it. Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Love, Mikie
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I think you are supposed to have your knee surgery on tuesday. Good luck again sweetie. We will be thinking about you and glad you got over than bug.

Hugs and blessings,

15. ckball

ckball New Member

I just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery and hope you got all your remodel done and cleaned so you can just relax with your family. You know I am pretty tough sometimes but I don't think I could make a matinee the next day-lol. But you go girl and enjoy :)

I have not recovered from my GD's wedding last week, err week before last now :) Gods speed and a quick recovery-Carla
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

Oh Phooey....you do not deserve that. But that is life isn't it?

As you know I am not here often anymore and the last time I read where you were not going to do anymore remodeling. But it all sounded so nice and I loved what you did.

So anyhow....you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care......

God Bless.........Susan
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys are the best! Thank you so much for your prayers and good wishes.

Granni, yes, thank God that was only a 24-hr. bug. I felt great yesterday and do again today. Thank you for everything.

Carla, I send my prayers for your recovery. I did get the baths all done and the condo cleaned, except the lanai (they only say, "Lanai" in FL and Hawaii). It's too hot to sit out there and really too hot to go out there and clean. I'm picking my daughter and Andy up about 1:00 this afternoon. Thanks for your good wishes and know you are in mine.

Susan, so good to hear from you. Yes, I did swear off all projects but when I saw how good the bath looked, I couldn't resist doing the other one. It didn't need as much work, especially drywall work so it went much faster and was easier. Thank you so much for you kind good wishes and for popping in.

Thank you all again for everything. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Love, Mikie

18. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sorry about your tummy bug, but so glad it only lasted 24 hours!!! Glad you are feeling good going into your surgery. On that note, I'm saying special prayers for you today. Please let us know how your surgery goes!! We are all thinking about you on the board. Glad JT and Andy are there with you.

19. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am praying that your surgery today goes well and your healing is speedy. Good luck and just remember that we are all thinking of you Mikie (by the way i love your name, hahaha)

BILLCAMO New Member

Hope your surgery went good !

Please let us know.

Blessings ,