Having muscle spams and lack of sleep is pulling me down

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mamabear40, Dec 16, 2005.

1. mamabear40

mamabear40 New Member

For the last few weeks my FMS hurts all the time, escially in the limbs. I'm not on drugs and refuse to take alot of medication. Got any info?
  2. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

I am sorry that you are suffering.I know how hard it is when everything hurts.It may be worth trying some medication like a muscle relaxer-that was a life saver for me to be able to function.Also antidepressants helep with pain and sleep and with fibromyalgia sleep it important.I was once against trying medication and all I can say is I am glad I finally gave in.I would not be without it now.When you suffer with pain there is nothing wrong with trying something that will help you feel a little better.Ofcourse using heat packs or ice can help some-what every works for you.You have to find something that works as hurting like this is not fun.I hope you take care of yourself and comfort yourself in some way.Take care from someone that cares about others suffering. Lana56
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I attended a fibromyalgia pain management group that was organized by the Arthritis Society. This was very helpful for me and in addition to discussing medications, they introduced us to non-medical approaches to pain relief as well (for example exercise, visualization, pacing, changing your home environment to make it more FMS-friendly and many other things).

This was a 6-8 week course with a physiotherapist instructor and 8-10 people with fibromyalgia. You might check out the Arthritis Society in your area to see if they offer a similar group. Some hospitals also have pain-management seminars too.

God bless, Anne Theresa
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Well, I have resorted to medication, although I refused it at first. I do try to keep my meds to a minimum. The things I do that help other than meds are:

Stretching and strengthening exercises, gently.....

Walking (no one hates exercise more then me, I had to start out at 10 minutes at a time.) Be careful not to over-do the walking.

heating pad

using a TENS unit

massage (when I can afford it)

soaking in a hot tub--this relaxes my muscles better than any muscle relaxer I have ever tried. No muscle relaxer I have ever tried was as effective as using the hot tub and turning the jets on.

I have a pool that I used a lot in the summer, it helped a lot. Its too cold now. I hope to start some water therapy after the first of the year. I'm on a waiting list with the water therapist.