Having really bad pain on left side under ribs, what is this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sandyz, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I starting having pain yesterday in the morning on my upper left side under ribs. It wasn`t to bad in morning but by evening I was sceaming in pain. I went to the doctor this morning and she did X-rays, some bloodwork, EKG. So far everything has come back normal. Tommorow I go for a sonogram of the abdominal organs. The pain is less today but still fairly bad. I can`t lay on my left side at all, it hurts to bad. I have felt tired and out of breath alot too. Anybody ever have anything like this? Could it be costochrontis??

Thanks for you imput!
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it very well could be costo. I would never just assume that, but if the test results don't show anything else, then it probably is.....and yeah, i do have it and it is no fun, but it does seem to come and go, so at least if that's what it is you can have some hope that it won't stay that bad
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

bumping for more response! I still don`t feel well and my son is still really hurting Also hurting all over my stomach. It feels like I took a bad beating to the ribs and tummy...crazy! What next!! I am so sick of this.:(
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Many of us are having problems with this site lately and it doesn't let us reply so hang in there. Hopefully they'll start working the bugs out here. I wanted to reply to 2 more messages before yours but it wouldn't let me. We'll see if this gets through.

Anyway, what you're describing sounds just like my fibro pain that I've had for years. 2 things that help with the pain that stays consistently in one place for me is pain spray or Biofreeze and Lidocaine Patches. I have to tape the patches on with medical tape to get them to stay. They can take an hour or sometimes more to work if the pain is really deep but eventually they almost always work.

I get this kind of pain all over my body and to me it seems like if it's in the rib cage they call it Chostochondroitos which I think means "Rib pain". To me it's the same mechanism as all the pains I get. shrug.[This Message was Edited on 07/09/2009]
  5. Jayna

Jayna New Member

was like you describe. So sharp I thought I'd broken a rib and it was poking me. Doctor tests turned up nothing.

Eventually someone suggested it was a trapped pocket of intestinal gas, which sometimes happens at the 'bends' in the gut, up under the ribcage on either side where there's not a lot of muscle movement surrounding it. Taking Beano drops and making myself move/massage the area to break up the gas bubble eased the pain over a few days, and the next time it happened I recognized it so was able to get the gas out before the pain got unbearable.

Sometimes it's the simplest things.

6. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I have similar pain. I had to stop wearing a bra because anything, even light elastic makes me feel like I can't breathe. It doesn't always hurt but when anything touches my ribs I feel like they are being squeezed too hard. My worst is right at the base of the chest bone. It has been misdiagnosed as acid reflux.

The pain initially started at my sides and now can hurt anywhere along my ribs for no apparent reason...other than FMS. Heat, Advil and/or Tylenol is all that helps but they don't always work.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.