Having spinal injections...any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeramy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

I'm wondering if any of y'all have had ruptured discs and spinal injections of cortisone.
    What have you experienced in the procedure and recovery? I am anxious about feeling the pain of the numbing needle...I've been told that that needle and med (I think it's Novocain or morcain)
    I'm also anxious about the pain afterwards and wondering how long I will be stiff and out on my back on ice packs. I know there is a chance that the treatment wont work or that it will work for a good long time and then I'll have the problem again. I'd like to think this will be the only fix needed.
    When the MRI was done, besides finding the two ruptured discs and another two bulging discs, they said I had a lot of fatty marrow replacement for someone my age (45). I'm wondering if this is due to the FMS (or Sjogrens, or Celiac).
    Any thoughts? experience to share?
  2. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

I had a lumbar spinal injection in October. I don't remember the numbing needle being too painful. It did hurt but wasn't too bad.

The first couple weeks on and off I had some sciatica but that was because the fluid was pressing on the nerves. I was worried it didn't work.

Now (knock on wood) I have no sciatica but I do have some back pain when I overdo it or when I don't do my stretching.

It was well worth the initial discomfort and helped me avoid having to have a spinal fusion.

Good luck with it!
  3. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

I had a series of three injections for 2 ruptured discs in my neck but never had any pain relief from them. There was no pain or stiffness after the injections. I had a twilight sleep for them since I don't like having needles in the spine.

4. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

but with the first one, they wanted me to sit up right after the injection. I got the worst headache I've ever had in life. I seriously thought someone had drilled holes in my head and used it in a bowling tournament. I would rather have given birth to a wolverine, surrounded by polar bears, in the Arctic Circle! LOL! Stay DOWN as long as you can!

Using creative visualization works for me. This of something semi-related or a song you know well. I have a really hard time with a blood draw at times. So I visualize the opening to "Deadliest Catch" - the waves crashing over the bow, the boat heaving up and down in the Bering Sea, water, and let's not forget Bon Jovi. Works every time! I just concentrate so hard on the vision, that they usually say "You can go now. You're done!" And I sit there going "Huh? What? Oh!"

I don't know if you re diabetic or even close, but cortisone made my blood sugars go off the charts. So if you start to feel a little weird, have them check your sugars. Hope you have good results!