Having surgery Oct. 31

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Oct 27, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi all!
    Well to update everyone on me. I am having surgery for the numbness in my hand and fingers on Halloween. I have what they call Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. That is where the ulnar nerve gets pinched in the elbow and causes the numbness. What they will do is make an incision on the side of my elbow about 8 to 10 inches long and move the ulnar nerve out of the elbow joint and put it on top.
    I am facing weeks of therapy and months of tenderness. I hope it will all be worth it. I would like to get the use of my fingers back if nothing else! I will write a update when I am able to get back on the computer.
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi all!
    Well to update everyone on me. I am having surgery for the numbness in my hand and fingers on Halloween. I have what they call Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. That is where the ulnar nerve gets pinched in the elbow and causes the numbness. What they will do is make an incision on the side of my elbow about 8 to 10 inches long and move the ulnar nerve out of the elbow joint and put it on top.
    I am facing weeks of therapy and months of tenderness. I hope it will all be worth it. I would like to get the use of my fingers back if nothing else! I will write a update when I am able to get back on the computer.
    Soft hugs!
  3. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Hi Teresa - I've had lots of surgery; know it's scary but I hope it works for you. Take good care and take all the time YOU need to heal. BonBons
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Teresa, Hoping your Surgery goes well, and is a huge success, and that the recovery period, is as quick and pain free, as possible. Please let us know, as soon as you are feeling up to it--how you are doing.
    Karen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is the same nerve which was damaged when I had surgery to repair the bicep tendon in my arm. Yes, it does take nerve tissue a long time to heal, but the way it is now, it can't be much worse than after the surgery.

It took a year for my tendon to completely mend to 100 percent of its pre-surgical state. It took about that long for the nerve to regenerate itself too. The physical therapy helped the nerve as well as the tendon. Lots of Vitamin B-12 helped the nerve too.

I'm praying that all will go well. Just hang in there after surgery and be patient. I had lost the use of my hand completely after the surgery, but it is now as strong as ever. Therapy works miracles. BTW, it was my right hand and I was right handed. I had to learn to write with my left hand. That's good for the brain.

Love, Mikie
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time....
    Love,
    Kady
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

habd and later the right. They asked about the elbow area and I forgot till the pain hit there again and now must let them know.

Would you mind discribing the symtoms of yours.

Good luck and take care, Kim
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

My symptoms are complete numbness in my pinky and ring finger all the way to the wrist. Loss of control (fingers don't do what I will them to do). Weakness, pain in the elbow that radiates down the arm and in armpit. It feels like there is a splinter in my elbow. I started out with my hand going to sleep at night and waking me up with the pins and needles sensation and then after several months of that I woke up one morning and could not get my hand to wake up and it has gotten worse ever since then. Hope this helps!
    Soft hugs!
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I wish you well on your surgery and a speedy, speedy recovery. I haven`t had the surgery your having, but I`ve had a lot of surgery and I`ve had carpal tunnel surgery. It all went well. I haven`t had any bad experiences with any surgery I`ve had. Again, good luck and get lots of rest.
  10. JP

JP New Member

Hello Teresa,

One of my former employees had this very same repair. She suffered for many years prior to her surgery. She had good results and improved her quality of life and ability to use her arm and hand.

I wish the same for you.

Take care,
    Jan
  11. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Only 3 more days now! Keep reminding yourself that it's going to be worth it!

Stay brave little buckaroo!

-Shoobie

[ advertisement ]