Having surgery on my neck the 27thJust Dxd w/DDD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texasmaia, Sep 14, 2006.

1. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I posted a few days ago about going to the Neuro Surgeon after having an MRI on the neck and lower back....

well.....they say I have the dreaded DDD Degenerative Disc Disease.

I am having surgery on the 27th to remove the discs from C3 to C7 and replace with bone graphs. Then they will plate and pin it back together.

Lumbar has two herniated discs he won't even look at until the neck is done. I have no spinal fluid around three of those vertebrae.

PROBLEM IS~~ I am the manager of a branch location for a large grain company. Our largest commodity is Corn and we will be full blown into corn harvest about the week of the surgery, and I'll be out the rest of it.

My GM has not even spoken to me yet. I emailed him yesterday. It is not good. I am worried about my job now too.

Good grief what we get into.....Problem is my doc is not doing any surgeries the month of October. So I either continue with this pain and working 100 hours a week on top of it with extreme stress and wait until November or risk it all now.

What to do???

Has anyone had this surgery? I would really like to hear a success story.

Maia
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I'm not sure if I can give alot of help to you, but I too am scheduled for surgery on my neck Oct 4th for Anterior Cervical Disectomy Fusion. I can tell you what my Neurosurgeon told me.....

He said if I don't have the surgery now, that the smallest thing I do could send me into a type of paralysis, which is almost what I did the other day, just by tripping over a rug and realized just how much pain and stiffness I felt while catching myself from falling all the way to the floor. It was extremely scary to think that something that small could do so much damage in a short time. But my Lord, did I feel it afterwards and into the next few days after that!!!!

As afraid as I am of having this surgery, when I told him about what happened, he immediately said, see..."I told you, you have to be extremely careful until you have the surgery performed".

I don't want to scare you at all!! But please give it some thought about having it done when they want to!! Just by your discription of the hrs of work and stress alone, could do you more harm than waiting until a later date. With the Fibro I have, it has increased my stress and pain level too, which is not good to have either and worrying about the surgery too, I would love to have it done yesterday if possible and over with!!!

Aren't you feeling more stressed out now than ever too? And then to worry about your job and everything else makes it harder on you. My Dr. told me the recovery period is alot shorter the way their doing it and I could be back at my computer 4 days afterwards, and could be working full time in two weeks. But of course thats if everything goes alright and I feel up to it. You would just have to take it slower until you feel you can do your job well and recover at your own pace. If you work on the computer, my Dr. said as I told you, you could be back doing that in no time, just no heavy lifting or bending down to pick up heavy objects.

I hope I didn't scare you and helped you a little, but if you have any other questions you could just ask and I'll be willing to give you what I know...seeing I looked everything up and have talked to 3 different neurosurgeons and my ortho surgeon as well. And they all agree on all aspects of having the surgery sooner than later!!

Please take care of yourself and I'm here if you need anything.......it seems like we are both in the same boat. so to speak!!LOL

Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  3. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Its me again, Shelby...
    I would suggest to your Dr. about your pain and the problems your having, to get an MRI done and soon. That is what I did, but I had to ask as he was only going to do it on my shoulder because he thought that was where all the pain was, and I told him why not do the neck as well, seeing all the nerves are involved from the neck area anyway. So, thank God we did do the neck and thats how they found the disk problems and he immediately sent me to the neurosurgeon. I think we have to be are own advocates with alot of Dr's, as they don't know or care to know alot about certain things when it comes to Fibromyalgia. Sometimes there is something else going on besides just the Fibro, and we need to be tested for all possibilities of pain!!

But I do have a great Dr. who told me I had Fibro in the first place and started the pain management. Then when I got worse, we did the testings and that brings me to where I am today. Now if he hadn't requested the MRI, who knows what would of happened!!!!!!!

Thank God for my great Dr., I wish everyone could see mine, as he is so compassionate and understanding!!! I just love him and also this Neurosurgeon too!!! I'm one lucky woman!!!!
    I hope you feel better real soon,
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  4. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Hi,

I have been dx'd with DDD a few years ago now, and My Neurosurgent that seen me said that surgery wasn't the answer. He recommended that I have the ESI shots in my spine. He said that I also have spinal Stenosis and that I have a abnormal curve at the tip of my spine that could also be my problem with lifting, bending, and scrouching down and told me NOT to do those things.

If you have seen a nuerosurgent and he is suggesting this then it is probably what needs to be done. They should know what they are talking about and know what is the best option for the patient. Have they given you options??

I think that I now have cervical Spinal Stenosis in my neck because I have a problem with turning it, and I have so much pain there and in my shoulders. This has been a problem now for about 1 year. I think I will have to go throught the ESI shots again to try to correct it. I am almost sure of it. I don't now what I would do if they told me to have surgery ..I would Freak out!

I know this isn't much of a help, but I felt the same way that you do know before seeing the Neurosurgent and I couln't be happier with taking the shots. The pain isn't completly gone, but I can feel my legs now. I worry about what will happen when I tell the doctor the pain is worse in my neck now.

God Bless you!

Noahvale--kathy