Having tests run while in "remission"??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathleen12, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I've been wondering if I really got a correct diagnosis from my doctors.

When I went to a rheumatologist, I was having a good week with no fatigue and only low-grade pain. I explained to him that the reason my neck hurt was because of the degenrated disk, shoulder pain from impingment, and other minor joint and muscle pains. When he gave the trigger point test, I passed that. And all my blood work came back negative for anything diagnostic. So he said CFS w/o Fibro.

So I'm wondering if I go back and get the same tests done while I am in the middle of a "flare", would the tests come back differently? What do you think?
  2. place

place New Member

My Rheumy saw me the next day, ran all the tests, and came up with nothing!

I would have gotten dx with fibro when he did the pressure point test the first time, but I was not very truthful when he pressed on the spots.

I did not want to be a whiny person. I thought he would not take my other problems serously if he thought I was just a complainer.

Which sucks becuase I could have gotten treatment one year earlier.
  3. kb101

kb101 New Member

From what the Arthritis foundation and my Rheumatologist have told me, Fibromyalgia comes up negative on all kinds of testing.
    Using the 18(? forgetting here)points of pain is the diagnostic criteria along with other symptoms.
    However, if something comes up in ones blood work, that means that the person could still have fibromyalgia, but that there is also something else going on.
    My something else turned out to be Psoriatic Arthritis for which I am now getting Remicade treatments.
    It would have continued to go undiagnosed if I did not have a Rheumatologist who believes in taking blood every time I see him.
    It was the presence of markers in my blood that told my Doctor that we were dealing with something more than Fibromyalgia. He now treats both the FM and the PA.
    KB
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Should I get the tests run again while I'm in a flare?
  5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

What about blood tests?? Should I go back and have them re-run while in a flare? Also, I don't remember where the trigger points are. I'd like to self test those.
  6. place

place New Member

Why don't you ask the doc if the test will have a better chance of being positve if you are in a flare.

Maybe it one of those things that are, you have it or you don't.

good luck