Having the Attitude of Gratitude can go a long way ...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alyssa-Admin, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Hi everyone! I hope all is well and that the weather where you are isn't too bad.

Spring has sprung in Scotland - yep. Snowdrops are out and the daffodils are just raising their heads. Pretty soon their will be baby lambs in the fields near us (and when driving with my husband, he seems to be unable to help himself by saying 'mmmm mint sauce'.

Anyhoo - the reason why I wanted to write about having the 'attitude of gratitude' is that I find that during our lowest times, taking stock of all the things we DO have in our lives (ie bed, heat, clean water, food, medications etc, good friends and family...the list goes on).

I try to do this every morning when I wake up - to state what it is that I am thankful for - and it might just be that I woke up for another day!

One thing I find about this forum is your positivity. Keep it going! Positive thought is so crucial in regards to stopping stress in it's tracks and putting it in it's place. We DO have choice in how we choose to deal with situations...and know that when the stress gets turned on to high...chances are a flare up is around the corner.

So. The next time something comes into your life that is stressful. Know that you do have CHOICE in regards to how you wish to deal with the situation....and to be grateful for the other things in your life that actually ARE going well. (Having food and a roof over our heads is a start...as millions have neither).

Chins up! Ready to bring on another day...

Sending (((gentle))) hugs to you all!

2. kswebb

kswebb Member

Good reminder Alyssa! The last three weeks have been stressful for me and I feel the effects. So my weekend on tap is going to be a quiet one. Tomorrow I do work from home but I have a luncheon meeting for work that I go to once a month and I really enjoy! I get to drive my new car there and the weather is supposed to be lovely. When I get home from that mid-afternoon I can then unwind until Monday! I know I need it. I have lots of laundry to do but I don't mind if I can just do that while I nap and read during cycles. Maybe sit outside in the sunshine for a bit too and some small walks if I feel up to it!

Hopeful that a weekend of rest will get me back on track and I can perhaps get to a Yoga class next week!

Sending YOU a gentle HUG right back at you ;)

Blessings ~

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Alyssa. My mother used to recite "Spring has sprung" every year at this time.

Spring has sprung. The boid is on the wing.
    How absurd! I've always heard
    The wing is on the boid.

Hi Kelly, I saw a video many years ago. It was from some third world country
    and showed a real washing cycle. The washer was hooked up to a bike which
    some young fellow was industriously peddling.

BTW, attitude of gratitude is one of the many slogans in the 12 step programs. I
    remember my mother telling us kids when we complained, that we should be
    grateful for what we had. One day I asked her, what do we have? Her
    response was: your health. We did too, but kids haven't the perspective to
    appreciate that.

gb66 likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I was bedridden most of the time, I learned of a gratitude journal on Oprah's show. I decided to write down five things, regardless of how small, for which I was grateful each day. It really helped me to avoid getting dragged down into depression.

The other thing which helped was to learn as much as possible about what ailed me and the treatments available. It gave me hope that I wouldn't always be so sick. I was fortunate enough to find this website with all its information and support from the wonderful members here That was 15 years ago. I consider myself lucky to have found this wonderful website and lucky that the products I have used from ProHealth have been such a great help in my healing.

Love, Mikie
  5. Moomin72

Moomin72 Member

I am always telling my Husband to be greatful for the things we do have, that other do not, as he gets down about things he can not have, but no matter where you are in life it dose not hurt to dream I guess... When my Mum past away last year, and I got the biggest M.E fibro relaps I have had for a long time, I don't feel very greatful, even though I am very aware that I have things a lot better than some, but sometimes the fact I have food, a roof, and a few pennies to spare dose not = having full health and a family and freinds, I would give everything I had to someone less fortunate for full health and a loving family...
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Moomin,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. Mine has been gone almost 13 years and I still miss her every day.

The idea of a gratitude journal is that, even if we don't feel grateful at the moment, if we write down five good things in our lives each day, we eventually start to be lifted out of our depression. It's not that the feeling of gratitude comes first; it's that by writing down five good things, we will begin to feel grateful. It's worth a try. Can't hurt and may help.

Again, I'm so sorry and pray for peace and better health for you.

Love, Mikie