having to put down dog, best friend

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tejanya, Dec 11, 2005.

1. tejanya

tejanya New Member

anyone had to do this? is it as hard as i think it will be? i can not stand my hannah suffering any longer. she has cancer and her back legs quit working last night. when we tried to get her up to stretch abit, only 1 leg out of 4 worked. i will be checking in monday after i take her to the vet. this might be as hard as loosing a real close friend. she has always been here for me when even family or supposed close friends weren't. any words of encouragement are appreciated. not all friends ever get to be seen. i count the ones here as those friends. thanks peoples.
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I'm so sorry about your friend. It is such a hard decision, but it sounds like she is suffering and this would be the best thing for her.

I had a poodle that I grew up with and I had to have her put down. That was about 15 years ago and it was very painful. I chose to be with her when they did it and I would never do that again. It was very traumatic for me and it made the grieving that much harder for me. That was my experience, it's certainly different for everyone.

I will pray for peace for you and Hannah, I'm very sorry for your pain.

Kathi
  3. spmary

spmary New Member

Please know that you will do the right thing. I struggled with that too. I just couldn't let my best friend suffer.
    I use to raise English bull dogs and My last one was taking 9 pills every day,not helping. I cried and prayed but finally decided to do it or rather the Vet. put him to sleep and I took him home and my hubby had the grave dug.
    I cried for two weeks and said I never wanted another dog,but 10 years later I saw a cute little Jack Russell and just had to have her. She has been the joy of our lives ever since- 11 yrs. old now Her name is Penny, Can't affrod the bullies now, but one day, prehaps.
    I know you miss her but just remember the good things and know you did her the kindest thing for her. LOve, Mary
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Oh yes....I can relate to how you are feeling at this time. I had two cats that lived to very old.

It is a bad place to be in....but you are doing what is best for Hannah. I know that it was one of the hardest things that I have ever done. I think that it is like any loss...just mourn them and take it a day at a time. Maybe get another pup when you are ready. I know that took me almost a year to do!

We do need to mourn them...cry tears when we need to... and talk about them to people like yourself (that was a TRUE animal lover). I just went through a lot of support on this board...we are there for you!!

I guess that you know this place is FULL of animal lovers?!

(((BIG SOFT HUG)))

MamaR
  5. Rene

Rene New Member

I'm so sorry about Hannah. One dog we had, was really bad when I was in my teens and I would NOT let my mom do it. Then finally we did and then I felt so bad I let her suffer.
    What kind of dog is Hannah? Indoor dog who sleeps with you? How long have you had her? I have already prayed for Hannah. Let us know.
    Take care,
    Rene
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I am praying for you, and Hannah. Do what you have to do for the pain inside of you. A lot of us understand that pain. Give yourself time to grieve, then rememeber that Hannah will be with God in heaven. The bible says all creatures will be in heaven, and animals are mentioned as Gods smallest creatures in the bible. You will see her again. She will no longer be in pain. Also try something creative to honor her memory. If you have a picture, post it and tell us about her life when you feel up to it. I am with you in spirit, and know that we all care. God bless, Julie
  7. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

So sorry to hear about Hannah. I will pray for her and you right now.

I know you will miss her terribly and it WILL HURT.... I won't lie to you about that. I've been through it, so I know. But I agree with everyone else here that you're doing the right thing for her. Her pain and suffering will finally end.

Take care and I wish you lots of strength and courage to see you through this.

Gentle Hugs,
    Starr
  8. paintinglady

paintinglady New Member

You and Hannah are in my thoughts and prayers. I understand completely. Yes, they more than earn the title of "Family Member". God bless our little furry loved ones.
    Carol
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had to put down my 15 year old border collie and it was so hard. I just held him and cried before my husband took him in. He was such a sweet, wonderful animal. As hard as it is, it is even harder to watch them suffer. I also believe go on to an after life and are healthy again. You are sending him home to heaven. You will probably visit you in your dreams sometimes like my dog did. He`ll be with you in spirit.

Hugs to you,
    Sandy
  10. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

I'm a dog person and have always had one [or 2 or 3!] but oddly enough I've never had to put one to sleep. They've either died of old age or gotten hit by a car [after getting out of the yard].
    However, I did have to do that to my daughter's kitty when she was only 3 or 4 [the cat]. My daughter was about 10. Samantha, the kitty, came down with some kind of fulminating liver/kidney failure and in about 3 days she was pretty much in a coma. The vet said she probably wasn't suffering but wouldn't recover. I was crying, Anna [my daughter] was crying, and everyone in the waiting room was sniffling, too.
    I couldn't really afford it but I had Samantha cremated and Anna has her ashes in a pretty silver tin. She's 23 now and still keeps them in sight even though she has 2 kitties now!
    Allow youself to grieve and know that you loved your friend the best you could!

Char
  11. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I cried just reading your post and all the replies, it is so painful to let them go but it is up to us to make the best choice for them.
    I can not even think about the day that my 2 dogs will go to heaven, I seriously think it might kill me.
    I will think of you in this difficult time.

Hugs
    Phoebe
  12. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I know you are going to miss Hannah,you have been a good mother to her and are doing the right thing.
    What kind of dog is Hannah?Do you have other pets?
    Take care,
    Sheila
  13. 1horse

1horse New Member

so sorry to hear about hannah.. we will pray for you..It will be extremely hard, but the best thing for her..~hugs~
  14. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi.
    I'm so sorry you are hving to put down you dear Hannah. I know this is a very hard and sad time. I'll be praying for
    you and her.

I put my Aussie down, just a few months ago.

You are very brave. I know your generosity and love will help Hahhah, and in the end, you will realize that you did the right thing.

When I had to put down my first dog, a long time ago, I wondered if I was doing the right thing. Then, I looked at his face. In death , all the hollows were gone and he looked like a puppy again. It was then that I realized how hard it had been for him to keep going, and that I had done the right thing.

My thoughts are with you, and you are not alone.

Peace and hugs,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2005]
  15. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I just agonize when i hear someone has lost a pet, or has to put a pet to sleep. I am soooo sorry! Our pets are our family members. Hannah was so lucky to have you as her person! I wish I could take the pain away.

Big HUGS!
    K.
  16. nanajw

nanajw New Member

I, too, had to have a dear dog put to sleep after she suffered a stroke (she was 19 years old). I held her while they put her to sleep and am very glad I did that for her. I felt that I owed that much to her to not have her be alone or with strangers while she died. It was so hard, however, whenever we came out of the vet's office, the sun came out and we knew we had done the right thing. I believe I will once again see her in heaven. She was so sweet!! Good luck and my prayers will be with you during this difficult time!!

Nana J
  17. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

oh honey im sorry.
    i hate myself because when my girl went in i couldnt stay with her. my hubby did but i think that was the last show of comfort i could offer her and i didnt do it.

are you in the uk? i know a great place where your dog will get a proper service.just shout if your interested.

it better that way because its wrong to let them suffer, your doing the right thing. do you have anyone you can take with you? its best not to go on your own.
    i was grateful for my other dogs being here when i got back and all i did was flop on the floor and sit with them for ages.

my heart goes out to you, i only wish i could offer you stronger words for you.
    big higs for you instead (((((((tejanya)))))))))
  18. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Yes, it is a very difficult and painful choice to make. Our animals are the most loving and true, friends we somtimes have.

We had our 2 dogs put to sleep over a week ago. I cried all day and into the night. The only thought that saved me was I knew we loved them enough to do this. We did everything we could, to keep them.

Please let us know what happens. Allow yourself to grieve. It is natural when losing a loved one to death.

Many thoughts and prayers for you both...

God Bless,

Kim
  19. Bambi

Bambi New Member

My Penny, miniature Schnauzer, is about 16 and getting more and more frail every day. I know I am facing your heartbreak all too soon. I have a lot of dogs, but she is my sweetheart..was my constant companion and comfort after my mother died.

It is SO hard to let go but some times we have to think of their best.
    I've always felt sort of like I was playing God when I had to do it, but the alternative can be so much pain and suffering. I don't think our creator would want us to stand back and watch a helpless animal suffer if there is a quick and easy way to end it for them.

When my 18 year old Chihuahua died, at home of a sudden heart attack, I held her for just a few minutes before she was gone. I made a plaque
    after ward that I painted in honor of her life. It has a stick stapled to the back so it can go into the ground and I affixed a rubber gasket on the back to hold silk flowers. It gave me comfort to be able to do "some" thing.

I hope you are soon able to remember only the good days and happy memories your baby gave you. It's so hard but there are many here who share your grief. Hugs, Bambi
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2005]
  20. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hugs Tejanya
    I am a dog person, have 2 labs at the moment who are my constant companions. I have had to make this terrible decision and it is a heartbreaker. Take care of yourself and know that Hannah understands. hugs Marion