Hawthorn to help ease heart symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Evadyl, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Hi everyone,

I know that some of you have recommended hawthorn to help treat heart symptoms. I wonder if there is a specific brand or what's the best form to take it in.

I would appreciate suggestions please

Take care

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Evadyl - I've just been readng that the leaves and flowers of hawthorn have the most effective ingredients for heart health. I've been taking Nature's Way STandardized Hawthorn Extract, which is made from the branches, flowers and berries, and now am starting to think perhaps I should change brands. branches? Nowhere do I read that hawthorn branches are effective.

There are many products which are made just from hawthorn berries but those are the least effective.

Looking on iherb.com, I found Now Foods Hawthorn extract, which is made from leaves, flower and berries.

and then Nature's Way makes another product called Heart Care Hawthorn extract which is just made from the leaves and flowers (no berries) which they (Nature's Way) say is very good.

Anyways, I would look for something that is a standardized extract, and contains leaves and flowers, and not just berries.

iherb has lots of reviews of these products -

3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Evadyl -- there are many different kinds of heart symptoms, different possible problems with the heart. Hawthorne does not fix all of them, and may be the "wrong thing" for a few of them.

Hawthorne has vasodilatory and sedative effects. It is known to decrease heart rate. Some people already have a low or borderline low heart rate. Hawthorne extract may not be for them.

For simple high blood pressure, or simple angina, hawthorne may have some effectiveness. Taken on a regular basis, it can increase the blood supply to the heart.

Another supplement you might look into is L-carnitine. This is an amino acid that is very helpful for certain types of heart problems.

However, I do recommend working with a physician or naturopath when using supplements for heart problems. If you are on meds, for BP or heart, you should discuss herbs & supps with your HCP before combining with the meds.

Best wishes.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

Glad to know that it can be sedating and that it should not a one size fits all.

I take the one from Walmart but I already take isoptin for tachycardia (fast pace) and I feel at my age 60 and the years I have been on only isoptin (22), that it is a good but small help.

5. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

All your suggestions. I already take CoQ10 as I had a test and was found to be very low in it. I have been taking L Carnitine for a while now also.

My symptoms are fast heartbeat, skipped heartbeats etc. I just was considering hawthorn as I thought it might help my heart somewhat.

Anyway thanks again

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Have you seen a doctor or cardiologist about your symptoms. Many things could cause these symptoms and self diagnosis can be dangerous.

IMHO, it sounds like you need to consult with a medical expert.

Good luck.

7. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

In addition to supplements that others have listed, you may want to consider taking magnesium and arginine/ornithine.

All these have helped me in the past when I had a rapid heartbeat.

But, as someone else responded, you should see a dr. make sure everything else is ruled out.

8. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

I've had all the tests under the sun cardiac wise and have always been told that there's nothing wrong....even though there clearly is. I just thought that hawthorn might help ease some of the symptoms so think I might give it a try.

Thanks again