head aches/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starla06, Aug 17, 2006.

1. starla06

starla06 New Member

I know we all get the aches & pains with FM but does anyone else get a headache in the back area of your head downward toward the neck area. I'm not even sure it is a headache it more like a tender area that throbs at times. one dr told me it was probably sinus. Maybe it is one of the tender points.

sorry for the odd way of describing the area.
    thanks

Lea Ann
  2. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

Hi Lea Ann,
    I have these horrible "head aches" too..........
    I think the back of the neck is one of the fm tender points..
    I hurt everywhere............. not just the tenderpoints..
    I just have a hard time with all this pain... it wont go avay!!
    Paula
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I get these, so I know how awful they are.

I THINK mine are sinus related, but I have tried to explain to the doctors that not only do I have pain in my sinuses, but also in the back of my neck

They say "well then it is a neck ache, and not a headache!"

ARRRRGGGHHHHH

I truly believe they are sinus headache, but can't figure out why I get them in the back of my neck
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Yes,..I get those headaches.
    same spot you've just described.

The base of my neck will just throb/pound.
    sometimes I can even feel a small lump that feels tender.
    after my headache ends I'll feel around again and that bump will be gone.
    I've used a hot washcloth on my sore neck and it helps some.
    sometimes mine get so bad I'll get sick to my stomach.
    sounds like migraine but I don't think they are.???

I think theyre muscle contraction headaches.

So many things to deal with when you have Fibro :(
    hope your better~
    your not alone thats for sure.
    Hugs
    Tandy
  5. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

it feels like a headache but its also just a tight uncomfortable feeling in your shoulders and upper back?
    Mine just started about 2 months ago, I had a terrible migraine that sent me to the ER for the first time and every since I feel like there is something wrong I can't seem to get it to ever go away it is always there going up the back of the head, and nothing seems to take it away. It's like I need to hire someone to walk behind me and massage constantly! My father in law gave me one of those neck massager things and it works great but it the relaxation only last for about an hour at the most.

It's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one!

HUGS,
    Kelly
  6. starla06

starla06 New Member

Thought i was going crazier. Today is really bad I have been putting heat on it but only help temp. I too get sick to my stomach.

Maybe tomorrow will be better. Thanks for all your replies.
    Lea Ann
  7. Lostfibro

Lostfibro New Member

I have been getting headaches for the past 5 years. They feel as strong as a migrain or sinuses, but mine are considered cluster or tension headaches. I can have them last up to 4-5 months at a time. I take a beta blocker to try to keep the headaches at bay. It doesn't always work....like any medicine, you build up a tolorance to the meds. Sinuse medicine and migrain medicine makes them worse. You could talk to your Dr. regarding a beta blocker. Basically, they are a high blood pressure medicine that is used to keep the head free of pain and stress. Erin
  8. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I get those base of the skull headaches regularly. My md calls them mixed tension migraines. A beta blocker gives me relief from the worst of it. Occasionally I need a muscle relaxer but I hate taking it.

Hope this helps,
    Kat
  9. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Yes..yes Me too. I just want to cry. The only thing that knocks it out is percocet..however, doc will not write a new prescription for it...NO narcotics for FM. AHHH!!

Anyway, I use moist heat and a dark room. I take tramodol...however, that only takes a very small edge off of the headache. I have used Aleve recently and it helped. I guess alternating medications might be an answer. Who knows!

Hope you "knock" that headache out soon.

Dawn
  10. starla06

starla06 New Member

I will check out the beta blocker. Thanks for the input Bad thing about these headaches it makes your shoulders & neck hurt as well. hopefully they will go away soon. Will talk to DR about the beta blocker idea.

Hope all have a good day
    Lea Ann
  11. ladyhawke70xy

ladyhawke70xy New Member

Lea Ann,

There are tender points in the neck there, but do you have pain in your temple or eye at the same time? My migraines go from the base of my skull on one side, up the back, into my temple and my eye.

If it is a migraine, you can try a triptan like Imitrex or Relpax. They work wonders, as long as you aren't taking an SSRI or SSNR like Celexa, Effexor, or Cymbalta.

I am in the midst of battle migraine right now. Topomax put me in the hospital with a 15 day migraine! Zonegran and Pamelor aren't working, so now I am also on Depakote.

As for relief, nothing works (except Relpax, which I can't take) I've tried muscle relaxants, narcotics, NSAIDS, etc. The best I get is a slight lessening of intensity, but no real relief. (Chiro isn't helping either)

Hope you have better luck than I have had with it.

Peace,
    Nicole
  12. Chevy39

Chevy39 New Member

I also have to take Topomax twice daily and even then will still get migraine headaches (definately get them without the Topomax). Then I have to take Imitrex and that is on top of already taking Avinza and MSIR (both are Morphine -- long and short acting) for other pain. I also have two bulging disks in my neck and one protruding disk in my lumbar area. Then there is the Osteonecrosis (death of the bone) in my right knee and starts in several other joints.

I had the headaches long before I had the FM though.
  13. starla06

starla06 New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Friday my head hurt so bad i was getting sick to my stomach. went home & sat in my chair with heat on my head. about 12:00 am it finally eased up.

hayley i did not think about CMP. I will check it out. thanks for the idea.

Lauralea i used to go to a chiropractor & it really helped. I have been thinking i need to find another one & start going back.

I am sure alot of mine is tension. I have gained weight with the DD & it really bothers me that i can't loose it no matter how hard i try. Work has been really stressful as well. Guess i need to have one of my talks with myself.

Thank you all for listening. Hope you have a good week.
    Lea Ann
  14. matthewson

matthewson New Member

It does sound like a tension-migraine combo. if you are getting nausea too. I get those from time to time, and honestly, the only thing that works for me is vicodin for about two days straight until it goes away!

My Dr. actually prescribed the vicoden for me after I went to the ER for relief and everything they gave me except morphine actually made it worse! Even the morphine only worked for awhile until it wore off and the headache came back full force.

Hope you can find some relief from this. I know how bad they can get! The nausea with it was the worst!

Take care, Sally