Head Injuries CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

How many people have had some sort of head injury preceding their coming down with CFS symptoms?

If this happened to you, how long was it before the CFS hit?

I think there's a pretty strong connection here, and so it would be interesting to hear your experiences.

I hit my head pretty hard (concussion with short black-out) in late 1994 and started experiencing full-blown CFS in early 1996.

Prior to that I had as much energy as anyone I've ever met.
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have wondered too if FM and CFS have a connection with head injuries. I have had two. One was slipping on ice and hitting my head. That gave me a very bad concussion. I was put in the hospitol for three days to watch for brain swelling or bleeding.

Lets see what other think.
    Sandy
  3. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Closed head injury 20 years ago and haven't been the same since. I was dx about 5 years after the car accident, but probably actually had it before that. I truly cannot remember what I was like before the accident, but one of my sister's told me shortly after the accident that I had changed.
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

head hit with a baseball bat that knocked me out when I was a kid and also fell on ice at a job 30 years ago and had to have my head put into tracktion several times a month to try and help with neck pain.That was 30 some years ago.
  5. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Out of the blue my PA told me today that there is a greater than 50% chance that if you've ever had a CHI that one day you'll get fibro.

I had a CHI almost 30 years ago and the PA said that this isn't unheard of but common.

Why is it that I've been studying FMS, CFS, CEBV for years and this is the first I've heard of this? Is this something new that's been discovered?

Lisa
  6. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i think that there is a connection between head injuries and cfs/fm. I was in a car accident at 4 where my head was cracked upon from corner to corner and at about 9 or 10 i fell off of the monkey bars at school. I've always, according to my sister, been complaining about hurting all the time

Angellwolffe
  7. museinhighlands

museinhighlands New Member

Ditto... I also hit my head in car accident, and several earlier falls as well.
  8. lucysmom2

lucysmom2 New Member

Approximately two months before I became ill with all these fm symptoms I was adjusting the hot water temperature gauge in my bathtub while sitting on the edge of the tub. All of a sudden the spring rod for the shower curtain fell right on the top of my head. It hurt so bad I was crying. I did not seek medical treatment, just waited for the pain to go away. I mentioned this episode to my family doctor about a year ago as I had really forgotten about it, but I had been searching my brain to find anything that would have caused what has happened to me. My doctor said "No. You would have headaches all the time if you had any type of brain injury from that". And that was that. I now believe that this head injury was the cause of the onset of fibro but can't get anyone to believe it.
  9. tlayne

tlayne Member

I keep running into you! LOL! I had a major car accident in 1980. I was in the hospital for a week, fractured skull, head concussion, whiplash, broken ribs amoung others. I have had pain ever since. When I really noticed a decline was in 1991 when (I believe) I was bitten by a tick. I was horseback rideing in Sun Valley, Idaho, and two days after I was back I got really sick for several days. The fatigue is what kills me, and that is what followed shortly after the Sun Valley trip. The whole body muscle pain started that winter.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL! Hugs, Tam

Oh, and something I have always thought about, my daughter has Arnold-Chiari Malformation. I hate to speak it, but she is having s/s of fibro/ CFS. Yikes, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I pray to God she doesn't have this junk!