Head, Neck Pain and DizzyHELP Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jul 6, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I get these spells (this one the worse) where my shoulders, neck and head are painful--my actual scalp is sore. There are knots in my shoulders and neck. I have had one session of trigger point massage and due for another one in two weeks. We have had a lot of rain in Florida if that matters.

The worse part is the dizziness. I also feel hot like I have a fever, but I don't. The doctor (my cardiologist) says dizziness comes from the inner ear and I may have a virus. However since my face and nose hurt, he put me on Keflex yesterday after two weeks of pain, in the event it is a sinus infection.

Has anyone else had a similar flare? I really can't tell if this is a CFS flare, just FM in the shoulders and neck or a sinus problem.

Can you have dizziness other than the inner ear? I have had MRI and MRA scans done last year with my last flare. All were normal.

Please post--any information will help.

Best,
    Tania
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

One of my major symptoms is as you describe, neck pain, face pain, head pain and dizzyness.

I have to say the thing that helps dizzyness is Meclazine (OTC) but I now take 10mg a night(split into two separate doses of 5mg taken one or two hours apart before and during bedtime) of amitryptiline and it has almost gotten rid of the pains and the dizzyness that springs from the same source (myofacial pain).

It feels as if you have inner ear thing or sinus but in actuality it often is the FM.

I also get numbness as part of all of this.

Do try meclazine for the dizzyness as this is awful on top of the pain. I also do specific neck exercises and see a PT 2 times a week for neck stretches and trigger point release with just his hands.

I hope this helps you.

Love Anne Cromwell
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It is sometimes stemming from the ear, but not always, so your doctor dismissed this too easily. It can be compression in your servical spine. It can be caused by fibro-muscles in the neck and shoulders (inflammation maybe), that can cause swelling and compression = dizziness.

Your doctor should find out why you are dizzy, especially since it's coupled with other pain. he could at least tun an x-ray of your servical area.

Goodle for Devin Starnabyl, she writes alot about this kind of pain and she had PTF files you can download and show your doctor.

it sounds most likely like Myofacial pain.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2006]
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I am having a flare like that right now

Cheeks hurt, neck hurts, knots in my neck, can't sleep because of it

Weather has changed here, I guess I attribute it to that
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For more support.

AC
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Hi...I have all the same symptoms you talk about...Sometimes just worse than others...

I have figured out they change with diet...certain things I eat bring on this terrible pain...I am wondering about salt...OR...Sulfites on the foods..

I see you talk about having MCS in your bio...You could be reacting to sulfites(preservatives) sprayed on your foods...There are certain foods you should watch for...Try to buy organic as much as possible..

I have realized that if I eat nuts...I get terrible pain within 10 min. They can even be raw...It gets worse each time I try to eat them...So I don't know if it is the salt or stuff that could be sprayed on them...

Also anything processed...no matter how natural they are...

But there are some food naturally high in sulfites...Garlic and onions

I don't think all dizziness comes from the inner ear..

Good luck...If you find any answers I would be iterrested to hear them..

SherylD
  7. Line

Line New Member

I have the same symtons you do. My fm first started in my neck and left shoulder. I started getting tingling on and off all day in my shoulder, near the collar bone, neck and face, my Dr. ordered a cervical and thoratist mri and I have a lot of spurring and arthritis plus nerve inpigment in my neck. She told me this can make you dizzy and light headed. I also get a lot of pain in the bra strap area and collar bone. The last few days my muscles in the bra strap area are like pulating.

Have your Dr. do a MRI, you may have some cervical problems but then it may be just spasms from the fm.

Linda

8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

TaniaF:

I get the same thing. And I am prone to infections. I have to go to the doc for the occasional Zithromycin.

I use a tennis ball against the wall and put my neck/upper back/shoulders on it and massage the knots the best I can.

I do also get affordable massages. Every little bit helps.

nyrofan
  9. annahd

annahd New Member

mention stabbing/shooting pain. I called them zingers, I just don't know what else to call them. It's a stabbing like pain, last only a couple of seconds and happens every few minutes. I might go five or ten minutes without them but then I get zinged again. My scalp and areas of my skull are very painful to the touch. Do any of you get these stabbing pains? I have them on one side of the back of my head about halfway up. I've had a hugh load of stress lately and am wondering if the pain could have been brought on by stress. I have FM and I'm sure everything else related to FM.

Thank you. This site means a lot to me since I've no one to talk to about this. God-bless you all. ann
  10. Line

Line New Member

I get them often, neck, head, shoulders, breasts and upper chest. In fact about a year ago I was getting them in my upper chest from one shoulder to another from 7 pm every few minuets, at 7 am I went to the ER, the Dr. said right away it was not heart which I was not thinking, she said it was a spasm pushing on a nerve but could not tell where the nerve was that was causing this. She said your neck has so many nerves radiating to different parts of your body and was sure it was cervical related. I hate them they scare you they come so quick.

I was checked at the Er monitored, ekg, blood work etc, they gave me a iv drip of some muscle relaxant but it did nothing, they finally went away after 24 hour.

You should start an post about this, I think there are mamny who get this.

Hugs, Linda
  11. annahd

annahd New Member

Thank you Linda for providing me with the info. The head/neck/etc. pain I can deal with but something I don't know about really scares me. I have this phobia thing and I associate every weird to the phobia causing disease!

Zapper is a good word for this sensation. It does zap me in the head!

I am so new to message boards I'd not know where to begin to start a zapper thread. I don't articulate very well and could not possibly come up with an interesting subject (title) to catch anyone's interest. I'd really appreciate if someone could. I have no idea if zappers are common but would love to hear from others if they experience it.

Thank you for your kindness and I do pray for all who are experiencing problems will be healed. God-bless. ann
  12. Line

Line New Member

You do a great job of posting, you are very understandable. We do not need to have a college degree in writing to post most of us just say what we feel in the best way we can. I certainly understood you.I make a lot of spelling errors which others do also, do not even bother to correct them any more.

Hugs, Linda
  13. annahd

annahd New Member

Thank you Linda. I will begin a thread on this as soon as my head clears up a bit. I've been in a fog for about two weeks and can't think (even function) right now.

Besides my head being in a fog, I struggle with my second language, English. So I am very happy no ones pays too much attention to grammer, spelling, etc.

I will use your "sharp/shooting pain anyone" suggestion. It was very kind of you to reply to my post. God-bless you. ann
  14. DER

DER New Member

I have the same problems also. I don't have them all the time but when I get them they can last a few days up to several weeks. Rain is the worse for me. I can always tell when it's going to rain.

The last couple months the dizziness has come on. When it first happened it scared me because I was at work and I thought I lifted my head to fast but as the day went on and the aches occurred I knew it was my FM. I have also had an MRI and nothing!!

People think I am crazy!! I am always hot. I have a fan on me as much as possible. I hate wearing long pants and shoes because I feel like I am burning up!!

Hang in there!
  15. annahd

annahd New Member

I'm not familiar with all the symptoms of myofascial pain but I'm trying to learn so please forgive my ignorance. Beside having the shooting pain in the midway up/left side of the back of my head, I have a very sore bump directly behind my ear. The bump is the same on the other side but it doesn't hurt. My scalp on top of my head is painful too. I've had a painful scalp occasionally in the past but didn't have the other pain along with it. Sometimes my jaw, teeth, eye socket hurt too.

This sure isn't any fun! I've had FM for 40 years, since I was in my twenties and have managed to live with it but this head thing is fairly new or I just haven't had it this bad before.

Thank you for listening. If you have any input on these symptoms, please post them.

God-bless, ann
  16. annahd

annahd New Member

Thank you. I know every muscle in my body is very tight and has been for over a month. I do have what seems like sinus problems along with this so you are probably right. I appreciate your post. God-bless
  17. annahd

annahd New Member

Prickles,I thought your post was a reply to my post. Thank you anyway, I will try the tennis ball!
  18. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

if you haven't been checked for an arnold chiari malformation or vaso-vagel syncope, i would. i happen to have both in addition to fibromyalgia. you can google those terms to explain...i cant type too much right now.
  19. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I have pain n all areas of my body,but its way worse in my neckshoulders and head. I also am off balance and suffer bouts of dizziness. I believe its attributed to my neck shoulder head pain and stiffness

When I turn my head from side to side it feels like it catches and sends a spasm into my shoulders.

I als have major soreness like a bruised feeling!

Dizziness BTW is very hard to diagnos. Dr told me its hard to pin point.

Take care :)