Head/Neck Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Robste, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Robste

Robste New Member

I was diagnosed many years ago with fibromyalgia after going from dr. to dr. trying to find out exactly what was causing my horrible pain, which started out with head/neck pain. After giving up on medications that didn't work, I somehow learned to live in pain for about ten years. Finally decided that I was so tired of living like that, and went to my very progressive family doctor and cried my eyes out asking for help. He told me that he had a few patients with chronic unexplained pain (due to low seratonin levels supposedly) that had success with anti-depressants. He put me on Effexor XR (225mg.) Within six weeks after starting the Effexor, most of the horrible head pain was gone...what a miracle for me! I was on the Effexor for about five years. Because of going on some other meds. (Lipitor and Hydrochlorothiazide), I decided that I just didn't want to take so much medication, so with my drs. okay, I came off the Effexor. In the meantime, I developed a low back problem, but never had the head pain again...until about four days ago. I've been off of the Effexor for exactly one year. I wonder why the horrible head/neck pain would suddenly re-appear after a year? Anyway, the pain is not like a migrane or cluster headache. It feels like the pain is allover, not just on one side...sort of like my whole head is in a vice, and it doesn't throb at all, but it's there constantly and it's bad. Has anyone out there had head pain like this? I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm just very upset tonight. Anyway, I went to the doctor today, and I'm having bloodwork done to make sure the Lipitor isn't contributing to my muscle pain. Since I told my dr. that the pain is exactly like it was before I ever went on the Effexor, she's putting me back on the Effexor to see if it makes a difference. I'm usually a very optomistic person, but the pain is really starting to get to me emotionally. Thanks for listening to me rant on!
  2. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

So sorry to hear that you are in pain.

Have you tried going to a chiropractor? It is possible that you may just need to have your neck adjusted.

I had anywhere from a nagging pain to horrendous headaches, started going to the chiropractor and after he adjusted my neck a few times it made a world of difference for me.

Hope you get relief soon.
  3. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I do have pain every where but I have had a neckache since 1987.I also have chronic headaches and migraines. The thing is....NOTHING helps my neck ever.I have had all kinds of therapy and drugs,and nothing helps.MRI's show nothing(so they say other than a bulging disc but I found that out on my own,drs. ignore it).
  4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have lived w/ it for about 20 years. Everyday is different. I wake up with feeling worse in the morning. I sleep on my stomach w/ my head sideways. I take my ibuprofen in the morning and stretch throughout the day. My doctor explained if that works, it shows that there is inflammation, as Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory.

As long as I keep moving or if I am home, I will take a nap. I just fidget a lot and try to stay ahead of it. I don't rem. any other way of being. I have a job where I can move around. I soak in a hot epsom salt bath for the magnesium, which is good for the muscles.

The answer it to find what works for you individually. We are all different.
  5. JTyre

JTyre New Member

From whiplash. I use ice. Ice numbs ths spasm for me. 20 minutes on 20 minutes off. Do that 3 or 4 times. You need 3 or 4 ice packs in your frezzer at all times. Put a paper towel around it with a rubberband. Put it where ever the pain is. For me it is usually the left side of my neck. I put it on the left side and lay on my left side so I am actually laying on it. Making sure it is pressed really tightly. My chiropractor tells me all the time NEVER use heat! And do NOT sleep on your stomach. I start out on my side and wake up on my stomach. I have never been able to break the habit.
    Hope this suggestion helps.
    j.
  6. funnyface46

funnyface46 New Member

hi yes I,m formiyer with the type of pain your talking about . they are yet a nother lovely semptem of cfs called toxic head acks. given to them on the thery that cfs is caused by toxin build up in are bodys from are invirement and what we cansume. sorry I can,t tell you what to do about them I,m still trying to figure that out. though I am having less and less saver of ones sence I,ve been trying to eat and live healther and taking vit. not good enough though still looking for the anserse. and the money sence I can no longer work . good luck and just keep on serchiing, and let me know if you find something that works.
  7. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

My mom said that I started having headaches when I was about 3. I always seem to have head pain, and I actually went to the ER about 2 weeks ago for the first time with the most horrible head pain that I have ever had, I would rather have another baby than to have that kind of pain again. I am taking Fioricet and Tramadol and I also have a muscle relaxer. It's such a pain to not be able to do anything without always winding up with a headache. I need to go back to the chiropractor I really think that my headpain was better when I was getting adjusted regularly. I also have teased my family lately, I have one of those humps on my back just below my neck, and I believe that it is some sort of alien device that is controlling all the pain!! It always hurts and all the pain seems to radiate from it! he,he,he!!

Sorry soo long!
    Kelly
  8. Robste

Robste New Member

Thanks everyone for your replys to my original message. I went to my family dr. on Monday and cried/begged her for help. She gave me a prescription for Tramadol to help with the horrible head/muscle pain, started me back on a small dose of Effexor XR (75mg to start out), and told me to stop taking the Lipitor. She wants to make sure that my muscle pain isn't being caused or aggravated by the Lipitor. I also had bloodwork done to see if the Lipitor could be part of the problem, and also had a test done for Lyme disease. I went to a chiropractor years ago, and although they help some people, since my problems seem to be muscle related, that only aggravated everything & I was in worse pain. I just hope to find an end to this pain soon...trying to remain optomistic here!
    -Robin
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I loved sleeping on my stomach and would usually end up that way but the pain in my neck from being out of alignment is really bad.

Twelve times in a row to a chiropractor last year convinced me to watch the way I sleep. To break the habit of stomach sleeping you need to put something next to your body on both sides so you will wake up if you try to turn over. I've even read about people pinning something to the front of their PJs so it will wake them up.

I found that moist heat seems to heal my back the best. The ice numbs it and makes if feel better but thats only good for when you first get injured.

Another thing.....I've found I can not look up or down for more than about l0 seconds because it strains my neck and I will have severe pain for hours. I've had to adjust my computer monitor and also lower my keyboard. I also use the mouse on a book on my lap so I'm not pulling muscles in my shoulders and arms. It's little things that you might be doing without consciously knowing that could be contributing to your pain. Be very aware of things you do during the day.
  10. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have tried. My whole life has been like this, sleeping on my stomach, one leg up and supported on one side as I hug a pillow. As a child, it was a teddy bear. I never remember any other way.

I actually had a dr. tell me that he tells his pts. to sleep on their side, but he said that we all will move during the night back to whatever we are use to or comfortable with.

I need my sleep, so I don't even try to change.