headache cycle, can't get massage, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

My bad headache cycle has started again, and I'm so bummed because it wipes days out of my life, it seems. I also have lots of weird muscle twitches in my face and head and allover with this, as well as that flickery feeling behind eyes and dizzyness.

There seems to also be some correlation with the extreme belching I often get. When this happens, I do feel better for a few minutes after I get belch/get rid of the air pressure (sorry guys, just the facts). The belching seems to come, originally, from something like too much raw garlic/onion/pepper type food (a homemade guacamole that i can't resist)but I usually avoid, but didn't recently. Or even the ibuprofin I took just for two days? I also have the weird (sorry again) thin/small bowel stuff going on that my docs say could be irritable bowel or diverticulosis.

At the doc yesterday she also noted that my neck (herniatied discs c-5 to c-7) muscles and other shoulder muscles were like knots. the crazy thing is, ever since I've had all this, I can't even get massage! Every time I have someone work those sore points (or even massage my own temples), my pain doubles for like a week!... it's been like that for years! (before this dd, I always did bodywork)

Anyone have that effect from massage? (forget chiro) I'm sure I should be relaxing those muscles, but don't know how without worse pain. Over a long time, it does get better. But I have company coming!

HUGS!;)
    Helene
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2006]
  2. jake123

jake123 New Member

My sympathies go out to you. I know what you mean by a cycle of migraines. Do you take any daily meds to prevent them? As far as the constipation, why not take a mild laxative as soon as the first symptom shows itself?
    I had C5-6-7 fused because they were such a mess - about to cave into my spinal cord, and with bone spurs everywhere. My neck from there downward is painful as is my shoulders. All I can do when it starts hurting is lay down on the bed until it releases. I do have some Skelaxin for muscle relaxation but I don't have anything for pain, my doctor doesn't think it would help me. He's wrong.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You don't mention whether you take anything for the headaches or a daily med to prevent them. Those might help if you aren't on anything.

You mention a connection with certain foods. Is there a possibility that they might be a trigger for the headaches?

If you can't do massage, you might look into Trigger Point Therapy. You can do this youself. A good resource is The Tirgger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies. I find this to be very helpful not only for headaches but for other pain as well.

Feel Better
    Kathy.
  4. IowanMom

IowanMom New Member

I used to have the same effects from massages as you. Pain for weeks after having one. I don't any more though.

Have you tried healing touch? My massage therapist is wonderul! I've been going to her for years, and years. She is an actual nurse who went to school for massage therapy. She then started her own business. A couple of years ago, she took classes on healing touch. She does this before and after my massage. This helps me to deal with the pain.

If anything. Don't do the massage at all and just find someone that can do healing touch.

I know it sounds freaky, but it's really not. I had to actually try it before I could decide. (Before that, I thought of VooDoo.)

Good luck!

Amy
  5. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I just had a massage last night and I hurt all over. I am miserable today. I get cycle migraines too. They are awful. Im so sorry for you. I hope you have decent pain medicine to at least help you through. I know it doesn't take all the pain away. I hope you feel better very soon!
    Hugs!
    Amey
  6. Chilene

Chilene New Member

thanks so much for your thoughts!

did it help you to get the neck fusion?... i hear so many fibro people say that that particular surgery has made them worse. i have put off the "choice" to do that surgery for years (also bone spurs)... but i'm pretty sure that's where lots of my trouble comes from (numbness, etc.). i'm just terrified of that fusion.

hope it's been a good thing for you!

hugs--

Helene

7. Chilene

Chilene New Member

I have been on and off Vicodan and ibuprofin... I am allergic to every med and thing on this planet (including those, but to a lesser degree)... so I take things sparingly... I get such severe constipation with Vicodan, too (which then leads to more pressure on spine)... I try to avoid it, even though it can work... just ibuprofin here and there... which of course doesn't help the stomach!

Thanks for the info about the trigger point book. i really WANT to do that type of thing, but even when i massage my face and head and neck, my headache worsens... although i could probably put pressure on other points (but they don't hurt as much). argh;)...

Thanks much, Kathy!

Hugs!
    Helene
  8. Chilene

Chilene New Member

Oh, I love this board!!! I was hoping to find some other soul that knew what I was going through!;) Yes, it was often weeks of pain from just one massage! (noone actually believes that, i think). So glad you found something.

Thank you SO much for the idea of Healing Touch. I truly believe in such work, as I HAVE had some success (mostly me using it on others, but some for me, even) with energy work, which is a bit close, but different...

I will definitely look for Healing Touch!

Big Hugs!!

Helene
  9. Chilene

Chilene New Member

i go for the good old ibuprofin when desparate and it helps some, usually (that, and, don't tell... good old coffee!)...

thanks a bunch!

;) helene