Headache in the neck?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Feb 10, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Has anyone ever had a headache in the lower back of the head and neck? I have had this all day long, and its getting old.

I have been on the heating pad, and also tried the vibrating pillow. I just wont go away. My blood pressure is great, and so is the blood sugar (I am diabetic). I am taking my pain meds for the fibro, and just cannot pin point what is going on, or why I cant get it to go away.

I usually dont have headaches. I am taking inderal, which is what they sometimes give for migraine headaches. (I take them to mask my pounding heart.)

I just wondered if anyone else has these kind of headaches, and what I can do for it.

Thanks, Julie
  2. sascha

sascha Member

ever since my valcyte anti-viral treatment. a tension and tightening up the back of my neck into my head causing a lot of pain. it probably won't compute unless you've tried it, but EFT really helped me with this pain. i know EFT can't make any sense unless you find out about it and try it, and find how helpful it can be.

eft is Emotional Freedom Technique. if you're interested you can check eftuniverse.com for more information. it works on physical symptoms, often very very quickly. it involves tapping on energy meridian points while focusing on your issue. you can find out the steps at the website i mentioned. also there are tapping videos on youtube you can follow along with that show you the meridian spots and how to do it.

hope you figure it out and get relief- best, sascha
  3. LaurieS

LaurieS Member

Julie, i can feel your pain, as I have had these mysterious neck headaches on and off for years-espescially when I'm overdoing it. The only thing that works for me is moist heat. I sit in the bathroom by the sink or tub with a washcloth and keep the hot water going. Keep rinsing the washcloth so that it's as hot as you can tolerate and place it on my face/forhead and alternate with it on the back of my neck. Usually it subsides after about 15 minutes. I have had these on and off for the past 6 years or so. they are so painful-hope this works.
  4. znewby

znewby Member

My daughter told me for years she had a headache in the lower back of head or upper neck area. It went on for days or weeks. She used to talk about this more in the first 10 years of this illness. She gets headaches still but different symptoms. She had to take the strongest tylenol to get rid of it.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Mine date from an auto accident 6 years ago - "low speed" but started getting nauseated a month after and neck aching. I had an MRI, the disc between C6-7 is only slightly bulging but apparently in just the right way to cause this. :(

My chiropractor is a good one and always helps, but it still happens. A lot of what can set mine off is sitting at the computer and tilting my head back to be able to read out of bifocals (I need to remember to wear my computer glasses!) - or looking up for any considerable time anywhere.

Muscle relaxants can help at least with sporadic problems.

6. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I know just what you mean!

I had that type of pain for years before menopause then it stopped.

I guess it was hormones.

Now it is back again [aged 71] don't know why, stress, tight shoulder muscles?

I am off to do some EFT maybe that will help. love Denamay
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Julie, I was going to ask you if you've ever tried any muscle relaxers and if they've helped at all?

I get horrific headaches. They are not migraines in the typical way so actual migraine meds don't touch them. I've tried all sorts of other meds. I have also gotten them at the base of my skull, top of my neck. By accident I found out that taking a very small dose of Klonopin, I could get some relief.

When I told my Dr. about this, he said it makes sense since it relaxes everything including the blood vessels. So wondered if a muscle relaxer might help you.

Regarding your migraine meds - if you don't have an actual migraine, they won't work on the headache you have.

8. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I don't know if you can call mine headaches but I experience severe pain. I use heating a pad. If you can try to go to a accupucture or chiropractor that may help. I do everything from hot baths to laying down and listening to soothing music with no distractions to using one of those machines that rub your shoulders and neck. Talk to your doctor also. Good luck. Pain meds will not usually help a migraine you need a different type of med like Topamax. Talk to DR about Botox injections or muscle relaxors also. Good luck. I feel for you.
  9. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I used to wake up every morning with that headache/back of the neck pain. That was maybe 40 years ago before FMS was recognized. My family doctor said it was a tension headache. It never hurt over the eyes or any place else, always neck and always started upon waking.
    He prescribed Fiorinal.. that helped. but after agout ten years of it I was doubling it and he refused to prescribe it any more. That began my travels to chiros, PT, orthos and rheumy's. Various meds, even hanging by my neck on the door with a water bag weight.

As a child I had severe stiff necks, where I could not even turn my head. Now at age 66 I can look back and see most everything was caused by emotional abuse.

I now have huge myofascial knots in my shoulders and around neck., massage can break a few layers but they come right back. I was told my back/neck felt and sounded like rice kripsies , snap crackle pop..

NO MORE PT for me..... everything got worse and I have told all doctors that nobody will touch me again!

But the fiorinal did work ....

if you wonder what I do now, since the problem never went away, I have the luxury of a hot tub. Each morning half an hour in 99 water with jets on high and I can move to spots that need the massage the most. It is the only relief. At the moment mine is out of order, this is the third day and have probably another week before parts are in to repair. My body is going downhill rapidly, and by about 2 pm the nausea sets in.. I am so used to pain that it takes me a while to smartin up and realize the nausea is because the pain is so bad.

I wish I could tell you there is an exit from this road.
  10. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

RE Janalynn: No I have never tried them. Wish I could.

Right now I am without a doctor, and getting really paranoid. My last doctor quit her private practice in Sept. She gave me enough pain meds to last for 6 months. I am about to run out!

I went to a doctor yesterday, and she just blew me off. I am in the Oklahoma city area, and most doctors here are so far in the back woods its not even funny.

I sure would love to try a muscle relaxer. I know someone with fibro that takes them, and says he feels better than he did when he was on morphine.

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2011]
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I have back of the head and neck pains ever since I started this mess about 25 years ago. I had tried PT sometime ago and it was only a temporary I'd say but it never went away, along with everything else. I take Flexeril at night to help me sleep and 1/2 gen. klonopin. I have been sleeping better but I still have pain all the time unless I am sleeping :)!

Wondering if flexeril or othe muscle relaxant taken more often would help but I am already on enough meds and supps. but not for pain - b/p, thyroid, osteoporosis, etc.

You might want to try taking some light muscle relaxants and see how they work for you. I probably would take more of them if I wasn't on all the other stuff. I know I had taken some other muscle relaxants years ago and they just made me more loopy and I was afraid to keep on taking them. I don't worry to much about the Flexeril (generic) as I am sleeping then !!

Hugs to everydobby :)!!
  12. Chelz

Chelz New Member

As a matter of fact, I have one right now. Trying desperately to ignore it while I am on this board, but it's getting harder and harder. Mine is in the same spot as yours, but it also extends out to my shoulders and between my shoulder blades.

Yesterday it was so bad, I was using these warm patches on placing them on both sides of my shoulders and I couldn't place them on my neck because of my longer hair. It is a miserable feeling. I usually do get headaches, at least 4 or 5 times a month.

This has been going on since Friday afternoon. I have tried Advil, Aleve, heat patches, hot water bottle, just plain ignoring it (I'm used to that one), a massage muscle rub that has MSM topical pain reliever, and nothing has worked. I slept poorly last night, and I think that is adding to the misery. I didn't take my liquid magnesium last night, I just couldn't get up off the couch to prepare it, so much for a Saturday night. Sometimes the magnesium does help a little. I think it's a major flare up for me.

I get migrains too, but am not on any meds because of the side effects of them. I feel for you Julie, and praying it just goes away soon for you and me. Hugs, Chelz.