HEADACHES EVERYDAY !!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HURTSALOT2, Jan 15, 2003.

1. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I am just wondering who else suffers from headache everyday. I take Imitrex which does not always help. I just don't understand why the headache EVERYDAY !!! I had an MRI and Cat Scan of my head. Loud noises and bright lights seem to make matters worse. I have many other aches and pains all over my body and fight with those, but the when the headache starts most of the time I have to go lay down in a dark quiet room. How I hate this and it is beginning to depress me.
    HURTSALOT2

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had headaches for over 15 years, almost every week. They were sinus, cluster, and migrains.

I read a book called; ABC of Asthma, Allergies, and Lupus' by F. Batmanghelidj,MD.
    This doctor states that we have headaches because we are dehydrated. I tried what he recommended, half my body weight in ounces of water per day, and 1 quarter teaspoon full of Sea Salt through out the day. It took about two weeks to have a definite effect.

Now I get a headache now and then, and when I do get get on they only last hours instead of days.

The sounds so simple and cheap, most people don't believe it, but I feel like it has changed my life!
    I missed doing things as much from the headaches as the Fibro. Now I at least don't suffer from the headaches anymore.

Here is the website if you don't want to read the book, www.watercure.com/intro.htm They are not selling anything but the books on water cure.

I also have less allergies as I had before, except for the chemicals.

HOpe you find some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

I used to get headachs everyday but then I stopped drinking caffine and that has helped as well as going to my chriopractor. A chrio really has been a life saver for me as she relieves so much tension in my neck which causes headachs
  4. painin

painin New Member

Headaches everday. Lights, noise, sometimes even smells such as room deoderizers can realy agravate them. I too must go to bed with lights out, drapes pulled shut, cold wash rag on forehead, and earplugs! It is such a nuisance, not to ention the pain! When they get bad enough, I too take Imitrex. I can usually tell when a migraine is coming, because my front teeth go numb right before they hit, so I try to get laid down and go to sleep before they get so bad that I must rely on the Imitrex. They are soooo expensive!
  5. sunflowertgp

sunflowertgp New Member

Hi,
    I HAD MIGRAINES FREQUENTLY, AND ABOUT TWO YRS. AGO, I started taking elavil, and zoloft. That has realy helped my head-aches. I still get them, but not as often, and not as severe. Most of them start on the left side of my neck, and up into the back of my head. I had a mri on my left neck, and I do have a bulging disk.
  6. cioc1212

cioc1212 New Member

Shirl- how much sea salt do you take a day? And how do you take it?

I've recently read that the chronic fatigue can be caused by low blood pressure and that salt can bring it up. My BP runs on the very low side and I frequently get dizzy when I lay or sit down and get up. I have a lot of salt cravings anyway. It's something I'd be interested in trying.

I know that I have dehydration problems. I'm not a big water drinker.

Rachael
  7. cioc1212

cioc1212 New Member

Shirl- how much sea salt do you take a day? And how do you take it?

I've recently read that the chronic fatigue can be caused by low blood pressure and that salt can bring it up. My BP runs on the very low side and I frequently get dizzy when I lay or sit down and get up. I have a lot of salt cravings anyway. It's something I'd be interested in trying.

I know that I have dehydration problems. I'm not a big water drinker.

Rachael
  8. jlouise

jlouise New Member

I go through bouts of having headaches everyday, sometimes for days, sometimes weeks, and last year I had them for three months straight. I have had cluster headaches, migraines, sinus, and food related. On top of that I have an elevated blood pressure when I am in pain, which causes my headaches to be worse! I have used ice and heat(alternately) on my neck and head, soaking in the tub, hot showers, and of course pain meds. I know that foods like bacon, sausage, hot dogs, sharp cheese, and red wines will set off headaches(it has to do with the chemicals in them), so I try to avoid them. Hope I helped. Take Care and Rest...
  9. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

my main complaint with FM is the headaches and neck pain I get. Everyday I have neck pain or a headache. These headaches go into migraines. Imitrex doesn't work for me. I use firional #3 and ice, lots and lots of ice. This pain controls my life. It depresses me to that I have to spend half of my life in bed with ice on my head.
    I wish I could find an answer to this pain!
  10. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I too suffer every day with head aches. I have to wear sun glasses even on dreary days, my eye sight changes from them, my house is always dark, hate it when the kids' get loud. I just suffer with it. i can't stand to bend down to pick something up cause it feels like my head will explode. It is no fun and I can sympothize with you.
    Joannie
  11. bustahsmom

bustahsmom New Member

Dear Hurtsalot,
    I too suffered from headaches that lasted all day and night. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months before and assumed it was related to that. Well I went to see my primary care Dr and he took one look in my eyes and call an Opthalmologist (eye Dr.) He sent me directly to the hospital. My doctor explained to me that he could not see my Optic disc. Which I guess is a little tricky to see as it is. Anyway, don't mean to ramble...What was happening was I was retaining spinal fluid which in turn created pressure behind the eyes,neck etc. It is called Pseudo Tumor Cerebri.I had an MRI which thankfully came out normal.Then they ended up doing a lumbar puncture and kept me overnight. It can be blinding and life threatening as well.

I was put on a diuretic and have been virtually headache free for a year and a half now.
    It was a scary time so I can sympathize with you. Please,Please get your eyes checked. Have them look for your Optic Disc. I hope you get well soon.
    Sincerely, Bustahsmom
  12. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I have mentioned to my neurologist that I am overdue for an eye exam. I asked if the everday headaches could be that I needed a new Rx for my eyes. He told me that bad eye sight does not cause headaches. I have made an appointment with my eye doctor due to the fact that I am overdue for one anyway. I will certainly have him check my OPTIC DISC, if I don't forget. That must have been scary butahsmom. Thanks, everyone.
    HURTSALOT2
  13. ejay

ejay New Member

HI HURTSALOT2
    THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON SO I HOPE I DO THIS RIGHT. I HAVE HAD SEVERE MIGRAINES SINCE 89 AFTER AUTO ACCIDENT WHERE I ENDED UP WITH EPILEPSY AND NON STOP MIGRAINES. WE HAD THE EPILEPSY UNDER CONTROL BUT THE MIGRAINES KEPT ME IN BED OR HOSPITAL UNTIL WE TRIED NEW DRUG OUT CALLED TOPAMAX WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY MADE FOR EPILEPSY BUT THEY ARE NOW DISCOVERING IT WORKS WONDERS ON MIGRAINES.IT CAN'T HURT TO ASK YOUR DR AND SEE WHAT HE THINKS. i'VE ONLY HAD 3 HEADACHES THIS YEAR AND ALL IT TOOK WAS TYLENOL.BEST OF LUCK EJAY!
  14. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

for 23 years! After I went to a pain clinic after a car accident last year & was completely overdosed on pain medication did it FINALLY break that pain cycle! I had severe headaches, almost always migraine, every single day for 23 years. Good luck. dolsgirl
  15. KailaK

KailaK New Member

So sorry to hear about those headaches. Headaches were a part of my fibro syndrome but ever since I started on Depakote (500mg) three times a day my headaches have decreased dramatically. Depakote is a anticonvulsant medication. I know it really helps because when I run out and am off the medication for over a week the headaches start to reappear. I use to carry around a zip lock bag because I never knew when it would get so bad I would vomit.
    Hope things get better. As far as side effects I don't notice any. But it it not recommended for people with liver disease and pancreatitis may be a side effect.

Take Care!!!

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2003]
  16. dlizard

dlizard New Member

Interesting that you say this cause here's my story... I rarely complain of headaches... except when I'm flaring.... I've had one for about 4 months right now... and yep I'm dizzy too... I recently got all my old records since I changed doctors and was amazed to read that nearly evrytime I went to the doctor in my last biggest flare,I had headaches everyday too!!!! I had forgotten that.... I'm thinking that despite the fact that most of you have had MRI:S get "normal results".... that our brains might swell.... that would make some sense why indocin helps.... I feel* like my brian swells when I'm having this headache... Good luck!
  17. Ness

Ness New Member

I just posted some very valuable info for those of you who suffer from daily headaches..Please read and I hope it will help you ....IT SAVED ME!!!!!!!!

Peace and Hugs to you
    Ness
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2003]
  18. Ness

Ness New Member

19. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I feel your pain. I know your frustration. I have been suffering with HA's for almost 8 months now. I may not always wake up with one, but it is waiting for me later in the day. Bright lights aggravate it, loud noises hurt more. I've had the CAT and MRI - both normal. It seems like they start building in my neck then into the back of my skull, and finally encompass my entire head. I can't use Imitrex. I've tried oodles of things - no relief. I even got my eyes checked - good optic nerve, eye sight is slipping, so I got glasses. No help!

I saw something last week on the news about rebound headaches. This occurs when you constantly take something to stop the pain. Apparently it builds up and stops working. The way to stop the circle: stop the meds for two weeks. The HA will be awful. I'm not willing to stop my pain meds. There has to be another answer.

Also, did you see the post on Hidden MSG? Could be a part of it too.

Lisa
  20. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Every since I started Depakote, I haven't had a headache.
    (knock on wood!) 500mg a day at night time.

Susan B.