headaches, migraines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAgirl, Mar 10, 2010.

1. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

my biggest problem is the pain I have in my neck. I get migraines from it. I haven't found anything that helps the pain. My doctor will let me try what I want but I don't know what to ask for anymore. I have tried so many diffirent medications that I feel like nothing is going to work. The only thing that helps a little is codeine and firional and sometime relapax.
    What do you take for your headaches?
    Thanks
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

My biggest symptoms recently were also neck pain causing horrendous headaches.

I am on antibiotics for a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection and it is slowly getting better.

Neck pain is a very classic lyme symptom, along with headaches, etc.

see pages 9-11 for symptom list...

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf
  3. DazedAndSpacey

DazedAndSpacey New Member

I, too, have some serious neck problems. I had a MRI and discovered I had degenerative disc disease in 4 of the 6 vertebrae in my neck (going by memory) and bone spurs. None of them are bad enough for surgery, not that I'd do it. But whenever it flares up you can be sure my head will, too. Almost every time.

Ice on my neck can help a lot. Chiropractor is good. Darvocet helped some, too. When my head flares up, Treximet helps all of it. But bottom line, I haven't found anything I'm comfortable taking daily.

One thing my chiro recommended is a special pillow that's firm around the edges and hollowed out in the center. I found it on Amazon, called a Core D-Core Fiber Support Pillow. I bought mine from the chiro, but Amazon has the better deal. Check out the reviews.

Bottom line...nothing has been 100%. I wish I had codeine for the bad flare ups, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting any from anyone.

Good luck!
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I started getting headaches when I was 15, went to the doctor and he gave me fiorinol. This worked for a while, but it does contain caffeine which I can't tolerate anymore.

Then I was diganosed with TMJ with neck and jaw aches all the time and my doctor put me on Elavil, which I had to discontinue as well because of all the horrendous side effects, plus it only helped the headaches slightly.

The only thing I have found that works for both my general headaches and TMJ headaches is a powder magnesium called "Natural Calm". I take this supplement every night about two hours before I go to bed and it helps with sleep as well.

Also, I never in a million years would think that exercise would help my headaches, but it does. I do realize that many people on this board simply cannot exercise with there FM or CFS, and I completely understand that because I had a hard time with it too, but for other health reasons, had to start exercising and I am amazed, I have not had a headache since December, which is a miracle for me.

So, for me, I think it's a combination of getting rid of caffeine from my diet, magnesium and exercise. I also stared getting a cup of plain yogurt everyday, but I doubt that it's responsible for my lack of headaches now. Try to magnesium, you can find it in most health food stores and is not that expensive. I buy the large canister which is about $32.00, but it lasts for 6 months and I take it everyday. Good luck, Chelz.