Headaches that keep on hurting! OUCH!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UPK5, Jan 8, 2006.

1. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

I have been having unbearable headaches for a few months now. I have chronic sinusitis, and after a couple of antibiotics and the prednisone medpack, the sinus infection finally went away. Usually when my sinuses are feeling better so is my head. This time my head still hurts. My ENT wants me to have an evaluation from a neurologist.
    How common is this headache problem with FMS? What have others done to help relieve the pain? I haven't seen any other doctors yet, cause I keep hoping they will go away. I also have not had great luck getting doctor's help, since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Cindy
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Must get going but wanted to drop a note.

I have had headaches and sinus problems all my life. I have migraine meds that I don't have to use often if my antidepressant is working and the beta blocker I take is also. These two medications have helped me more than anything to stop headaches from coming on.

I don't kow what medications you take, but I know that I had headaches long before FM, and because I was dx with depression 8 years ago and started antidepressants, I have had a much better time since.

Hope you find some more help. Just my two cents and I certainly do understand how terrible they can be.

Take care,
    Sue
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Five Sue,
    What medication do you take that helps you?
    I take Effexor XR to help with anxiety and my doctor has increased the dosage to help with my FMS pain. I can't say if it really works or not. Now I have another problem, the headaches.
    I take Adderall once a day to help me try to stay focused. I experimented by taking a 2nd pill sometimes in the afternoon, and for some reason, it seems to help the headaches. I don't know why. I wonder if anyone else finds stimulants as a pain reliever. Hmmm?
    Before I got discouraged by a doctor, or picked the wrong kind, I wanted to check and see what others have done.
    Thanks for your help.
    One Cindy
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

By all means see a neurologist. Meds as follows:

Topamax, Phenergan, Skelaxin (4X a week),
    Indomethecin (3X a week), Relpax.
  5. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Jake,

I just tried to read your bio, to find out more about YOU, but it was empty.
    Do you take ALL of the medications that you recommended to me? What are problems (pain) are you dealing with?
    Where do you live? I wonder if you live in my area, if you would recommend the neurologist you go to.

Thanks for the information. I wrote the names of your medications down so I will have something to discuss with the doctor when I go.

Cindy
  6. sdown

sdown New Member

My doc gave me a glutathione nasal spray for my nasal polyps and reoccuring sinus infections. It worked. My polyps are gone. My doc said from now on if I get a cold or flu to come see him and he will write me a prescription for glutathione nasal spray. Its the master of all antioxidants. It saved me from having surgery. Im grateful to the pharmacist who told my doctor about it. I didnt think I was going to live I had sinus infections for a year straight. It was a nightmare. Also I chew Xylitol chewing gum every day. Its supposed to help kill bacteria and is sugar free. I guess the action of chewing is also helpful with drainage but its nice the gum is sugar free. Xylitol is supposed to do wonders at killing germs too. Im in Canada and I ordered it online as I have never seen it in the stores.
  7. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Glutathione Spray? Does this spray have a brand name? My doctor has me on Flonase, Astelin and a Fabulous saline spray, that really seems to help. It is called Entsol, it is expensive, but it irrigates the sinuses and seems to have helped me many times. I also take one Singulair (10mg) every night before I go to sleep. I have had many polypectomies, and hope to avoid any future surgeries if possible.
    Thank you for your suggestions.
  8. mars_xmu

mars_xmu New Member

After doing a two week fast last year my headaches have not come back. Have you tired Oxy Powder? as this would help to
    clean out the liver, if the liver is toxic it will contribute to headaches. I found my sinusitis cleared up after large doses of probiotics; Bio Care Intensive or HLC Synbiotic Intensive are both very good seven day probiotic suppliments. You'll need about two or three cartons. The probiotics are also very good for the immune system, since I've started to use them I've never had the flu or even a cold: used to get them regular. If you've got fibromyalgia Bi-Aura therapy is a very good and effective treatment, also look into homeopathy as well. At the moment I'm cured, after i found that the medical methods were no good.
  9. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

You were able to fast for TWO weeks? Wow! How did you do that? Who recommended this program for you?
    I am glad to hear that you are cured. That is wonderful.
    I hope you continue feeling well. Where did you get the special natural herbal remedies that you used to get better? Did you do it under guidance of a professional? I am curious to learn more.
    Thanks.
  10. mars_xmu

mars_xmu New Member

I only take a peek at the posts once in a while. i went under the two week fast with the guidance of a nutritionalist in the
    UK, who gave me herbs to clear the mucoid plaque (type in on www for more info) in the intestines: the herbs she gave me are only avialiable via a health care pracitioner. However, the nearest to it would be Rise and Shine or Oxy Powder. You'll also need to get some test run to find out if you have any bugs/bacteria, that can also cause headaches or flu like symptoms. I found that once my stomach was clear, that the healing process was very rapid. You'll need to try and see a doc or speceialist who can treat you using alternaitve methods, as a regular doc will just keep you ill for ages.
  11. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

FMS patients typically don't sleep well, don't exercise much, and don't eat well... all of which, on their own, can lead to headaches. That's not fibro, per se, but a chicken-and-egg side effect.

Also, if your sinus infection was so tough to kill and if it comes back, you might see an ENT or request that your ENT give you an x-ray/scan to check for nasal polyps. They're a cause of chronic sinusitis, can be removed, and with some shaving of the sinus ridges, could aleviate the pressure and collection of bad germs.
  12. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi ibisgirldc,

I wonder what your name stands for? Do you live in DC? I used to live in the area for about 10 years.

Anyway, YES I've been to the ENT more than I have been to my "regular doctor". I have had 2 polypectomies (in the hospital) and have had a few minor polyp removals in the doctor's office. My ENT always checks for polyps and he hasn't seen any lately.

Although, he is throwing his hands up in the air, cause my infection is cleared, but the headaches are continuing. The headaches this time 'round hurt in different areas than my typical sinus infections.

He wants me to have a neurological eval. I called my new "reg. doctor", and he said, he wants to see me before he will recommend a neurologist. So much red tape. In the interim, I am the one who is suffering with PAIN.

I hope I can get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks for your suggestions.