**Heading to the Neurosurgeon on Tuesday~ Nervous UPDATE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Mar 17, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I don't know what I will be like by Tues...I think my nerves are going to get the best of me..I have had a pit in my stomach since they called this morning...

First of all...I have had neck problems for probably 16 years...Been to the chiro off and on over those years...Had TMJ treatments...Who knows what else..

Well..I have been going again for TMJ treatment and not having any relief at all...so he suggest that a neurosurgeon looks at my x-rays of my neck to decide if I should have a MRI done..

The neurosurgeon looked at my x-rays...says yes there is something definetly wrong with my neck and I should have any MRI done...

So I did last week...I got a call today and they said that I needed to come in and talk to him...Then asked if I was having any threapy treatment being done now and I said no...She said ok..cuz that wouldn't be doing any good..

I didn't ask any questions...I just took the soonest apt. they had..and that is Tues. the 21st at 9 am...

Needless to say..I am very scared..Luckily my husband is able to take off work to go with me...

I doubt he would be taking the time to see me if there wasn't something wrong...and what is wrong that therapy treatment wouldn't be doing anything....The suppense will be about as painfull as my neck...

Help...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  2. SherylD

SherylD Guest

What was wrong?? and what did you have done to fix it???
  3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

4. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am so sorry you are going though this too...I certainly hope neither one of us have to have surgery...

I will just die if that is what they tell me...I can't even imagine..

I have just felt awful since the phone call...I can just tell something is just not right...and it seems to only be getting worse...I am very scared!

Did you have luck with your surgeries in the past??
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

6. code34me

code34me New Member

I went to see my doc for a new on-set of Migranes and blurred vision. My neck has a protuding disc but not enough to due surgery she says. But she did not like the fact that I have never had a migrane until now at 39 years old. She did a nuerological evaluation and did not like the results so she has ordered an MRI. I asked her to include my jaw because of the pain I have had for the last 7 months in my jaw. She said sure. I went to make the appointment and the next available in a month away! So I hope it is not anything major? I want to go now I dont want to wait because if is was something very wrong it could get worse in a month?

It seems so wrong sometimes when you get a call like you have and then they cant tell you over the phone and cant get you in soon so that you dont stress so much.

Mabey the fact that they did not make you come right there and then is because you do not need to? Mabey?

I wish you well Sheryld and hope things will be just fine when you go

TAke care Codey
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I would think he is seeing some nerve compression when he said therapy would do no good, or start of arthritic condition in which the sort of therapy needed is very gentle. Don't worry. I think most of us have damaged necks one way or another.

Love Anne C
  8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Please update us after your appt. tomorrow, we'll all be waiting...

Hugz,
    Tona
  9. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi SherylD

I know you can't help but worry - anything having to do with nerves and the spinal cord is always troubling, but thank goodness that you have had the imaging done and the pain is coming from something tangible.

My husband will eventually need back surgery. He is only 35 years old and was literally paralyzed from nerve compression for several days last spring.
    He has multiple herniated discs and arthritis in his spinal column.

Knowledge is power. And for something as serious as head-neck injury, a second surgical opinion is mandatory for a lot of health insurers.

Fortunately, back surgery these days is somewhat more sophisticated than even 10 - 20 years ago. My sister's grandma-in-law delayed back surgery for years because she was petrified from the horror stories. When she finally said "No mas" and had the surgery done that she had postponed for a decade she couldn't believe the difference it has made and the lack of complications post-op - and she's in her early 80's.

I'm glad your hubby is going for moral support - mine always helps me when I'm scared.

Just go one step at a time. When you know what the problem is, then you can move to the next step and see what can be done about the problem. Breaking it down into smaller increments will help keep it from becoming overwhelming.

I hope its nothing too serious and something that can be fixed fairly easily. In the meantime, my thoughts are with you.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  10. SherylD

SherylD Guest

You guys are just great!!! I love all the postitive outlook I get when I come on here...You really do make me feel better...

Thanks sooo much...

I went shopping yesterday...and just from carrying the bags my neck is just killing me...but I can just carry my purse and my neck kills...

I will definetly let you know how it goes tomorrow..

Jammer....I am not sure how to do that with the e-mails..I wish you luck..I am thinking of you..

SherylD
  11. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am so glad you will be thinking of me...It sure makes me feel good...

I am getting pretty nervous...Plus I have to leave really early for me...like around 8 am...I don't ususally leave the house that early...I hope I feel ok in the morning...

Most mornings I don't feel the greatest until I really get movin..

I will post when I find anything out...
  12. ephemera

ephemera New Member

careful bumping
  13. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I just wanted to let everyone...Everything was fine...

I was just told the same thing I am always told...Arthitis!

He gave me a Rx for Celebrex...Said if that didn't help then he gave me a Rx for a cervical tens...

I really didn't get to many answers...Left feeling really sad...but glad nothing major was wrong..I don't know mixed feelings...

I was not hoping something would be wrong...but just some answers for some of things I deal with everyday..and I got none..
  14. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am so sorry to hear that you have went through all of this...I hope you are getting better...I'll be thinking of you..

Everything is just so frustrating..
  15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...you see, so glad it turned out OK. This neck arthritis is sure a bummer but my PT gave me this neat exercise that works.

Tuck your chin in so it is not jutting forward.

Look at a picture frame, calendar anything and start tracing the outline and shapes with just your eyes, not moving your head. Apparently, this gently exercises the supporting small muscles in the neck.

It has really helped my arthritic neck pain. I do it several times a day.

Love Anne C
  16. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for responding...I will have to try these excersises...

Do you take any meds. for your arthritis???
  17. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks...Let me know how it goes for you..I'll be thinking about you!
  18. findmind

findmind New Member

Didn't answer your 1st post becuz had nothing to add.

I too have severe neck arthritis and degenerative disk disease (DDD) in neck. It is excruciating at times.

I tried and loved Cromwell's exercise, can't believe such a simple thing works to exercise and strengthen those muscles.

I love Celebrex!!!! But my dr. won't prescribe it to me because he's on the NO Vioxx OR Celebrex bandwagon, even tho' only Vioxx caused so many problems for patients.

I hope you get some relief and feel better really soon....it could have been a lot worse, right?

Well, I guess the "worse" was waiting for the darn appt!

findmind
  19. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for your reply...

I am going to try the excersises...It surely can't hurt..

I am going to hold off on the Celebrex...I am using some cream that really seems to be helping..and I am going to start doing my excersises a little more regularly...I get in bad habits and don't take the time to do them...

This cream comes from a company called Nikken...They do the magnet and supplements...I am starting out with some supplements first and go from there..The lady I talk to has let me try somethings and I am seeing some results..

She also has some other people she wants me to talk to...So I want to talk to them and see what the recomend..

I am not a person that does well with drugs...So I would rather try a natural approach first...But I know I can always fall back on the Celebrex if I am not getting anywhere...My sister has had good luck with the Celebrex too...

At least I don't have to have surgery..That is a huge plus!

So we'll see where it goes..Something has to help..

Thanks again..
  20. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Except the idiot rheumy I saw this week is having me try amtryptiline. I am med sensitive. My PT also does these very gentle massage and stretches on my neck he is the ONLy one who knows how to do this, it is so very gentle. It helps. You will be amazed how that tucking the chin in exercise helps.

Lov eAnne C