Health Insurance and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jude, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Jude

Jude New Member

I recently received the latest handbook from my health insurance company. The 11th commandment is: Know thy insurance policies. So I was reading the section listing what is not covered. Things like accupuncture, chiropractic, and cosmetic procedures were expected. Then sitting in the middle of the C's was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was shocked.

Years ago I was diagnosed with CFS went into remission and now have predominately fibromyalgia. As my health insurance doesn't recognize CFS, it may be a good thing that I have the fibromyalgia diagnosis. Until this year they did cover CFS. Anyone else notice this?

Jude
  2. Jude

Jude New Member

I recently received the latest handbook from my health insurance company. The 11th commandment is: Know thy insurance policies. So I was reading the section listing what is not covered. Things like accupuncture, chiropractic, and cosmetic procedures were expected. Then sitting in the middle of the C's was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was shocked.

Years ago I was diagnosed with CFS went into remission and now have predominately fibromyalgia. As my health insurance doesn't recognize CFS, it may be a good thing that I have the fibromyalgia diagnosis. Until this year they did cover CFS. Anyone else notice this?

Jude
  3. majic

majic New Member

fibromyalgia? some don't. check it out. majic
  4. dojomo

dojomo New Member

This is an important topic a ot of insurance companies don't cover it or have Limited coverage on it like this insurance company example:

Limited Coverage Conditions
    If you are disabled by a "limited coverage condition," the maximum benefit is limited to one year. A "limited coverage condition" is chronic fatigue syndrome, environmental allergic illness and musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders of the neck and back. (For additional information, please refer to your insurance certificate.)

Looks like ALL of us doesn't it?..........DJ
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If they do not cover our illnesses, they are going to end up covering a lot of other conditions when our health deteriorates. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Individual policies can exclude certain conditions, especially if they are pre-existing; however, group plans should cover us. HMO's are usually more proactive in keeping illnesses under control before they get worse and cost more money. PPO's and other plans are not as good in terms of prevention but offer greater choice in selecting providers.

Love, Mikie
  6. lea

lea Member

That may explain my recent problem with my insurance company which is a group plan.

What is the name of your insurance company?

It may be a good idea for all of us to complain to congress, senators, etc. and supplying them with the info. social security has CFS.

best,
    lea

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

The state health insurance plan for the state of south carolina employees doesn't cover fibromyalgia or cfids.... I understand that we are very very expensive but cmon ya'll... how DO they get away with this>????????????? I sometimes hate the fact I lost the lupus diagnosis LOL>>>>> now that's a change!