Health Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Nov 9, 2005.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Hi everyone. I have been looking into changing my health insurance. I currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield and am happy with it, but it is through the company that I work for. There is a possibility that I may not be able to return to work when my L.O.A. time expires, so I am looking into who else will take me, with a pre-existing condition of fibromyalgia. I have been turned down in the past by one place when I was looking for insurance several years ago, before I started working w/ Wal-Mart. Has anyone been accepted for health insurance after their diagnosis w/ fibro. with a health insurance provider, but not through their workplace? If so, please contact me and tell me more! It makes me very nervous to think that I may not be able to return to work next July, because I have to have health insurance. We CANNOT go without it - we will never make it financially without it; especially if I do get pregnant, the hospital bill alone will be high enough. But, my meds for fibro and my dr. appt's make it neccessary for us to have health insurance. Not to speak of having it in case of emergency surgeries etc. Help! LOL Carla
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If you cannot return to your job, they may have to offer you "Cobra" for health insurance. That may be the only way you can stay insured unless you can get on your husband's policy??

These insurance companies are very quick to decline you even if you take a precription drug. Maybe someone here were have a answer for you.

As for me, I could not get anyone to write my coverage and had to buy Cobra, the converted to HIPPA when the Cobra expired.

I now pay about $600. a month for the Blue Cross PPO plan. I am fortunate I can afford it as a business expense, but I can certainly see how people wind up without health insurance at the prices.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Who offers plans from several companies. Some companies have more stringent underwriting than others. There are some companies which will write higher risk but have higher premiums and deductibles.

Several things can happen when you apply for insurance: You can be accepted; you can be accepted but at a higher premium; you can be accepted with exclusions for pre-existing conditions; you can be accepted with both higher premiums and exclusions; or, you can be denied.

Going on COBRA and then on the state HIPPA plan may be your only choice but it's better to know before you are in that situation. A good broker can tell you whether there is any plan available for you. In any case, be prepared to spend quite a bit for your insurance.

Love, Mikie
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Health insurance premiums are astronomical and I think the reason for some people even working is just to have the medical benefits.
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...do some checking and find a really good, reputable insurance broker in your city to help you research your options after your Cobra expires.

There is an unbelieveable difference between insurance plans, and a lot of factors can influence this, such as your state's laws.

My husband has Type 2 diabetes, often an automatic rejection. We live in Kansas, where he was accepted by Blue Cross as a rate-up (more costly premium, but not outrageously so). We learned that had we lived across the State line in Missouri, he'd have been automatically turned down, and would've had only the much more costly & less coverage state plan. Why? Kansas is a state with much more consumer-friendly state insurance laws than Missouri.

It really varies widely, so don't let the fibro dx count you out yet---let a good insurance broker do the research for you.

Good luck!

Pam
  6. intrigue

intrigue New Member

Please double check me on this but ....

I believe that as long as you have continuing coverage (ie not lapses or holes in coverage times) that they can't punish you for pre-existing conditions.

This may vary from state to state .... but it would be worth checking into before your existing insurance runs out.
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

As long as there is no lapse in insurance, pre-existing conditions don't apply.

I went through that earlier this year when my insurance was cancelled from my former employer.

My policy was cancelled in June and in July I called Blue Cross and got my own policy. I had to pay for June and July, but that prevented any lapse of coverage and prevented any pre-existing.

Tigger
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can still be turned down for coverage under individual plans. Then can also still rate you up and charge higher premiums. The HIPPA Portability Act doesn't guarantee underwriting. They may cover a pre-existing condition but at twice the premium a healthy individual would pay.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about health insurance. It's better to see a professional who can help you navigate the muddy insurance waters.

Love, Mikie
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...CHECK WITH A RELIABLE AGENT! There are many variables here, one person's experience under one company or in one state will NOT necessarily be the same in another state or in another company.

We found our consumer-friendly plan in Kansas was definitely NOT the same plan we'd have been offered in a neighboring state. Some state laws are much more pro-insurance company, not pro-consumer.

Really...you need to contact a good, reliable broker to help you wade through this!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I also had worked for Wal-Mart when I became Ill.I was able to continue my Ins. with BCBS on my own.

BCBC can not just drop you .You can pick up the premiums on your own.It cost me 498.00 a month for full coverage.I pay a copay of 10.00 per Doctor visit and 20% of my script.

It is well worth the 498.00 a month.Without it I would be spending close to 3500.00 a month for all my medical.

No Ins threw your employer can just drop you.They have to offer you the option of taking the plan on your own.Than in the mean time you can shop around.BCBS also has plans that cost a little less.I did not feel that they were for me.

I would suggest calling them and getting there plans and rates in the mail now so you can decide..

Hope I was some help.
    Good Luck
    Sue