Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by taxchickdla, Nov 17, 2005.

1. taxchickdla

taxchickdla New Member

Hi, I'm new to this sight. I am very frustrated right now. I was diagnosed in 2003 and have had to quit my full time job to "reduce stress" if there is such a thing. Anyway, now I'm self-employed and recently my husband and I applied for insurance. He was accepted, I was denied. I have only seen my Dr. twice in the last year, and I am currently only taking elavil 25mg per day and over the conter pain meds. So anyway, i'm only 32 and still pretty healthy, I think. Do you know of a way to get insurance? Blue Cross told me this disease is more dibilitating than rhuematoid arthritis and that's why I am uninsurable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am becoming more and more frustrated with this whole fibro thing and how its messin with my life. I guess I'm in that pity party stage. How do I get passed it. Denial didnt last long enough. Thanks
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I know how strict health insurance carriers are. Many people only work just to get coverage. I am also self employed and the only way I was able to get coverage was through Cobra from my husband's last employer, then I converted to HIPPA and am on Blue Cross PPO.

My monthly premium is over $600.00
    with a annual ded. of $1,500. - otherwise I was also declined. I was only taking one prescription and no diagnosis of fibro on record.

Hopefully someone here will have a suggestion for you.

3. taxchickdla

taxchickdla New Member

Thanks for your reply. My husband unfortunately is self-employed also, so I pretty much screwed. I have been reading other postings and not that I like hearing that others are suffering too, but it is helpful to know I'm not alone. This just really sucks, I have been trying to deal with my pain and limitations but it is so hard. I can hardly move somedays and there are times with no relief of pain. It gets so tiring. I always wanted to believe that fibro is just what the dr told you because they couldnt figure out what was wrong. I have tried to tell myself to suck it up, its all in my head, big baby. Now i'm at my wits end. Thanks for the encouragement.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Did you apply as a small business group? If your state allows groups of one, you can get guaranteed issue insurance without underwriting. It is more expensive because there is more risk. To qualify as a business, you have to have been in business long enough to have filed taxes and made a profit.

See a broker who can write all kinds of health insurance. BC/BS is often more stringent than other companies. There are ones who write more high-risk plans.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

or atleast the ones the ones I have looked into, are that you have to have 3 individuals to qualify as a group. Augh! And it has to be related business. We were going to try to push my father through as our 3rd if we needed to because he is a private investigator that I will ocationally have find a house I need to insure in a town somewhere - how far was that pushing:) lol

It is a very sticky situation. There are many people that are not in our situation that do not understand.

I wish I could be of more help to you - do you qualify for financial assistance plans in your state? I am from South Dakota so I am not aware of how CA works.

Good luck.
    Kelly
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It varies from state to state. In FL, you can have a group of one (is that an oxymoron :) That is how I managed to stay insured while I waited 3 years for my SSD.

That's why I suggested seeing a broker. He or she can suggest various plans and should know the state rules on small groups.

Love, Mikie
  7. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

office by myself when I'm reading this stuff - people would think I'm crazy the way I laugh when no one is around:)

That would be good if you good be a group on your own:)

Kelly
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Board, they can give you all kinds of advice. Good luck!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The non too bright and non too interested person signing me in asked the name of my group. I told her my name was the name of the group. She refused to believe me.

I ended up waiting for 3 1/2 hours and when it bacame obvious I wasn't going to be seen, I left. I told this person I was leaving and she just looked at me as though she didn't understand. I had to explain that I just wanted them to know so they could take me off the list.

I got a call later from the supervisor apologizing. Where I live, I've figured out that unless you are traveling in an ambulance, you might as well forget the ER. Sad, but I digress...

Love, Mikie
  10. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

taxchickdla

do you have Fibromyalgia and or chronic fatigue? or is "reduce stress" the health sole health problem you have?

JGavi
  11. taxchickdla

taxchickdla New Member

a year and a half ago, my Dr diagnosed me with fibro and cfs. I was put on elavil and exercises. When filling out the paperwork for insurance, they want to know what meds you are on so i listed the elavil for muscle spasms. they pulled my files and found the fibro, which i thought was no big deal, i have been in denial for quite some time now. i dont like to take meds, so i take alot of supplements and natural methods to deal and cope with my symptoms. prior to this diagnosis from my dr, i was hurt at work and had been going through therapy and dr care from state comp. they also said i have fibro, 3 different drs, and they said i am a high strung, tense, type a person that just needs to learn to deal and reduce my stress levels. its a big pain in the buttox. hope this history helps clear the confusion. all i really know, is that i hurt ALL the time, i havent had a good nights sleep without a large dose of muscle relaxers for the last 4 years. i think i have oldtimers disease, because i cant complete my own sentences much anymore without the words, you know, that thing, um, um, and that sort of thing.
  12. ansel

ansel New Member

If you can't work because of your dx, file for Social Security disability! Your doc can fill out the paperwork. At least you can get the ball rolling. After you are approved you then have to wait 24 months to get medicare but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Ansel
  13. taxchickdla

taxchickdla New Member

I need to work, and i enjoy what i do. it's just hard sometimes. I am trying to make the 1 year waiting period from the insurance co so i can reapply.
  14. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

welcome to this sight. Like you I'm fairly new and just came out of the denial stage due to worsening health.

Sorry to hear about your insurance situation. I don't have any either and have been all the ins & outs. Is it better to have the cfs/fm diagnosis and maybe apply for disability OR keep the whole thing on the q.t. and not get a diagnosis in the hopes that I'll be able to be strong and this dd will go away.

What supplements do you use?
  15. taxchickdla

taxchickdla New Member

I also take grapeseed extract, senna, condroitin, and an energy multivitamin. It really sucks, all the pain and not being able to move well. I hate it, I get so frustrated. I don't want to apply for SDI yet, because I still want to work. Not to mention, I have to work or we wouldn't make it. Our family income dropped drastically when I went to part time. I wish you could just get medicare suppliment instead of having to do the whole state welfare thing. I am trying right now to just get by on lots of prayer and taking tylenol and ibuprofen for the pain. I wish I could just wake up from this bad bad nightmare.
  16. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I live in Pvlle and work full-time as a PHN (you can read my bio if you like).

It surprises me that the insurance co told you that FMS/CFS is more debilitating that rheumatoid arthritis! Most of the time, doctors and everyone else don’t believe in FMS / CFS at all. Hmmmm. Interesting for sure.

I’m sorry that you are having these problems with insurance. Blue Cross and Blue Shield both are probably the most difficult to get coverage through. I suggest going to Kaiser as they are now in Fresno and Visalia is within the area of coverage. You may be able to get coverage through Kaiser that will be way more reasonable. The county utilizes Blue Shield and Kaiser, and the people who have Kaiser seem to like it. At one time, when I worked in Southern CA, I had Kaiser and like it quite a bit. There is much more preventive care through Kaiser than most other insurances. You may want to check it out.

Take care, come back to the Board, and please let us all know how you do with insurance.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  17. taxchickdla

taxchickdla New Member

I grew up in Porterville. My grandparents owned and operated Dare's TV Repair out towards Poplar. What a small world. I will have to look into Kaiser after the holidays.
    Thanks, Merry Christmas!