Health insurance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

So I wasn't aware that this would happen, but I lost my health insurance when I turned 19 in december. The insurance company told us it would be a simple case of reapplying for the health insurance, and that applications get approved in about 2 weeks.

It's been almost 2 months, and I still have NO health insurance. I don't know what to do. I've run out of certain medications (i.e. lamictal for a migraine disorder) that I NEED. If I don't get back on them soon it won't be pretty when april rolls around and my allergies start getting set off (which add to migraines).

My doctor also prescribed Soma (a muscle relaxant) for when things get real bad, since nothing works for me, and I can't even get it because it's around $200.

I'm getting daily headaches from stopping the lamictal suddenly, I'm almost out of my asthma medication (and my asthma's never been fully under control even with the medication), my insomnia's come back with a vengeance since running out of lamictal so I'm having to dip into my old bottle of lunesta, but even those will run out eventually.

I have several doctors I NEED to see, one of which is the allergist for my asthma, my neuroendocrinologist, and my new rheumatologist. I'm freaking out because they told us this would be quick and it's not and I can't go without health insurance.

Has this happened to anyone else? And is there anything you can do to help it along?
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

We have be going through this with my daughter who is 19 . Before we lost our insurance entirely the insurance company said that they would keep her on for a few more years as long as she attend school. This may or may not be an option with you though. Also you qualify for medicaid . It's worth looking into. SS can also help you with job training . That is after your well enough to do that .
    Drug assistance programs are wonderful . Also free clinics (if you have any in your area).
    I live wish copd and migraine really suck. Please give SS a call or call your local community hospital for options in you area about free of low cost health care.
    Try not to freak out it'll only make your asthma and headaches worse .
    It's going to be ok .

3. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I was on Medicare/BMC Health Net (not sure if that's similar to medicaid), and it's always been plenty for me. They didn't mention anything about me being in school, though; we didn't even realize that they were cutting me off until I went to my doctor and they told me that my insurance wasn't active anymore. But there was a place on the application to put what school you go to, if any, so maybe they don't keep people on.

My mom's thinking that maybe because of the economy, they're just having a huge influx of applications and it's taking a while to sort through...but this is getting ridiculous. Do you think calling the insurance company would help, maybe to see where the application is in the process?

We don't have any free clinics in our area, unfortunately, but I think one of my doctors might be able to give me a sample of Symbicort so i have that, at least, even if I can't get any of the others.

Thanks for all the replies.
  4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

and at least ask whether they've processed the application, or where it is in the process and how much longer it will take.

I do know that our insurance is written that if a child is over 19 and is not a fulltime student, their insurance is automatically cancelled. And we get several forms every semester where we need to verify that they are still enrolled fulltime.

Best wishes,
  5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I hope President Obama's health care plan is a good one. Good luck
  6. waltz

waltz New Member

You need to follow up with them pronto. If they told you it takes 2 weeks, you should have called them when 2 weeks was up.

This could be important because sometimes there are time limits for when you can switch insurance and still be eligible, like 63 days for HIPAA protection for people switching from group to individual insurance when they lose eligibility for the employer group insurance.

Your options and the laws depends on what type of insurance you were on. Were you on your parents' employer group plan, your parents' individual plan, or something else? Are you a full-time student? Are you insurable or uninsurable?[This Message was Edited on 03/05/2009]
  7. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Try this website for help on your prescriptions - my doctor gave it to me.

Another - contact your local welfare office immediately - you may be able to get some help - especially if you are really sick. I can't guarantee anything, but, it's well worth it for your health!!