Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amorgan, Dec 17, 2002.

1. amorgan

amorgan New Member

Can anyone tell me about health insurance? My husband and I are covered under COBRA insurance through my job, but if it runs out or I quit, will I be able to find a company that will cover me and will it be a reasonable cost. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

loosing my cobra as of midnight tonight. I have been on it for 18 months. I tried to get blue cross blue shield, but seeings I have cfs&fm, I would have had to pay over 800.00 a months. I was sooooo mad. My husband has blue cross, but only pays 115.00 a month. I always was the one to carry insurance through my job, because my husband works for a small business, and they dont have coverage. I have gotton ahold of a private insurance company and it is only going to cost me 64.95 a month. Hope this as helped. It will be very expensive for you! Linda
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Cobra lasts 18 months past the date you leave a job, so you would need to find insurance beyond that. Private insurance will not cover you for pre-existing conditions without a whopping fee tacked on (if they agree to cover you at all), but depending on what you average monthly for doctor bills, prescriptions, tests, etc. it can be worth it. The good news---as long as you are working, group health insurance through an employer cannot consider pre-existing conditions; you are covered at the same rate as anyone else in your company of your sex & age group.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

First off I ahve been on this board for several months but was wiped off when they had problems last week with it! What I got is through care entry and they do cover pre excising. It is private health care services. You can call this # and go into # 3 listen to testimonys. I talked to a rep several times before really deciding to get this. Its better then nothing!!! 1888-702-8023! GO into search care entree, read up on it. Good luck, lINDA
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When your COBRA runs out, you will be uninsurable as an individual. Your only hope is a state mandated high-risk plan, which is very expensive, or joining a group which is a membership deal and not insurance. These groups get the docs to agree to perform medical services for what the insurance companies are paying them plus the usual co-pays. The groups are not available everywhere.

Other options are getting a job with group coverage which is guaranteed issue or starting your own business if your state allows groups of one. However, you must show last year's Schedule C in order to qualify as a business and you must have made a profit, so unless you can show this for last year, you will not be able to do this now.

Do not wait until your COBRA runs out if you are planning to take the guaranteed issue state mandated plan. Start looking around 90 days before the COBRA ends. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I live in Kansas, and I believe each state may be different. But I was NOT uninsurable as an individual (I have Blue Cross PPO) nor was my husband (who is a long standing diabetic). SOME insurance companies will flat out turn you down & refer you to the state plan Mikie refered to. However, Blue Cross agreed to cover our pre-existing conditions, at a higher rate. It isn't cheap, but it is a far better deal than anything else we could get (my husband's self-employed). Check Blue Cross in your state before considering yourself uninsurable...

Pam
  8. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

down on the board to were it says health insurance questions and read more, about this coverage!! Linda
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is most likely because your husband is self-employed and that you qualify as a group of one that you were able to get guaranteed issue insurance. I know of no companies who will cover individuals with diabetes at any price unless it's the state mandated plans. Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the toughest for underwriting.

Love, Mikie
  10. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I just noticed, that you live in Kansas. That is were my rep lives for Care Entree. My hubbys grandma lived in Agusta. Linda
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think laws in every state are different, which makes a difference. We are NOT a "group of one". We went to an insurance broker, who first told my hubby he might have to do the state plan, until he researched more. But BC of Kansas City is more liberal--and moreso in Kansas ( rather than Missouri) where the state insurance commissioner is very pro-consumer (--I don't know where you live, but I had BC in California before moving here & it was horrible; many docs were refusing it by the time I left.) and my husband is a pretty healthy, Type II diabetic, no insulin, w/ back-up records from previous docs---in fact, with BC, I ended up being the one who is paying MORE (FM, but the real killer as far as the $$ "rate-up" was my cervical disc disease). And I did not say it was cheap to have the pre-existing clauses waived-----we are paying more for monthly health insurance than most people pay for their mortgage in this country. But we have private, individual coverage, and we were lucky to be refered to a broker here who took the time to do the research for us.

Hugs,
    Pam