Health Professionals Etc: What is Urinary Ammonia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm trying to figure out what my urinary ammonia level is, but don't see that name listed on any of my urine tests.

Is this called by a different name on the test results?

Is it something that's commonly measured in urine tests? (I have both random tests and 24-hour ones available.)

Thanks for your help!!!

Best, Lisa
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I believe Urea is made from Amonia, so maybe that is the lab value you need to look at. Don't know, just a thought.
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Agree with Carla-nl's post. Blood urinary nitrogen (BUN) is a very common blood test and usually used as one way to look at kidney function but urinary ammonia is not something I'm familiar with.

Random/ 24-hr. urine tests also used to look at kidney function and often the creatinine part of it is used as an indicator of good collection during the test (e.g. some people only collect 12hrs. urine instead of instructed 24hr. and if so, this throws off other results of the test).

It would help to know what the test was ordered for.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi,

Thanks much to those who answered this quetion.

The urinary ammonia issue is related to the methylation cycle block protocol that some people on the board have been trying.

I got an answer to the question on one of the threads related to the issue. That thread (if anyone is interested) is called:

methylation/glutathione protocol thread3

Thanks again for your kind help in responding to this question.

Best regards,

Lisa