HEALTH TIP re: Water . . . NOTwhat you might think

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Apr 25, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

It has been scientifically proven that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria found in feces. Body waste.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, beer or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling or filtering and/or fermenting.

WATER = poop

Ergo: It is better to drink wine and talk stupid than to drink water and be full of ...poop...

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information. I am doing it as a public service.

Also I am not a doctor, please do not take anything I say as serious... at least on this board.

[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

because I still think it's funny.... and it's quickly getting buried...

Come on y'all, don't you need some laughs?
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

There you go, I should be drinking more White Russians and less water.
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Bring on the cocktails!!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I adore a hybrid Russian -

LOL I make a black russian and add the cream.

It was my traditional drink the first night of 'that time of the month' - always put me in a good mood and took away cramps.

AND gave me something to look forward to, LOL!

6. elliespad

elliespad Member

Victoria, I we ever meet we'll share a couple of drinks. I could meet you in Ocean City Maryland, (That's about 1/2 way, right?) say around the end of July. Drinks will be on me.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm happy to meet up anywhere LOL if I can get that far!

And only one drink will be possible, anyway... it will last me most of the night!!!!

8. victoria

victoria New Member

At first I was just going to say that it's probably blown out of proportion just to make a joke... but decided to google it, and quickly found the following info, which is actually rather interesting.

Basically it is saying that most e coli found in water is not harmful...

TOTAL COLIFORM BACTERIA Total coliform bacteria are commonly found in the environment (e.g., soil or vegetation) and are generally harmless. If only total coliform bacteria are detected in drinking water, the source is probably environmental. Fecal contamination is not likely. However, if environmental contamination can enter the system, there may be a way for pathogens to enter the system. Therefore, it is important to determine the source and to resolve the problem.

Fecal coliform bacteria are a sub-group of the total coliform group. They appear in great quantities in the intestines and feces of people and animals. The presence of fecal coliform in a drinking water sample often indicates recent fecal contamination – meaning that there is a greater risk that pathogens are present than if only total coliform bacteria is detected.

E. COLI is a sub-group of the fecal coliform group. MOST E. COLI ARE HARMLESS and are found in great quantities in the intestines of people and warm-blooded animals. Some strains, however, may cause illness. The presence of E. coli in a drinking water sample almost always indicates recent fecal contamination – meaning that there is a greater risk that pathogens are present.

A Note about E. coli: E. coli outbreaks receive much media coverage. Most outbreaks have been related to food contamination, caused by a specific strain of E. coli known as E. coli O157:H7.

When a drinking water sample is reported as “E. coli present” it does NOT mean that this specific strain is present and in fact, it is probably not present. However, it does indicate recent fecal contamination. Boiling, or treating contaminated drinking water with a disinfectant destroys all forms of E. coli, including O157:H7.

I am hoping this makes you feel better? If not, there's always Guinness or wine...